Teens are procrastinating getting Drivers licenses VOL. they BROKE

Automotive News
mark-huffman_head_shot_micro.png

By Mark Huffman

Mark Huffman has been a consumer news reporter for ConsumerAffairs since 2004. He covers real estate, gas prices and the economy and has reported extensively on negative-option sales. He was previously an Associated Press reporter and editor in Washington, D.C., a correspondent for Westwoood One Radio Networks and Marketwatch. Read Full Bio→

Email Mark Huffman Phone: 866-773-0221

Teen_driving_concept_via_Flickr_large.jpg

Photo via Flickr
Since the advent of the automobile, generations of teenagers couldn’t wait to get their driver’s license. A license to drive meant freedom and the open road.

But these days, mobility doesn’t seem quite as enticing. A few years ago, Brandon Schoettle of General Motors developed a questionnairefor teens who were old enough to drive but who did not have a driver’s license. Schoettle wanted to know why.

The top eight reasons given for not having a driver’s license were:

1. Too busy or not enough time to get a driver's license

2. Owning and maintaining a vehicle is too expensive

3. Able to get transportation from others

4. Prefer to bike or walk

5. Prefer to use public transportation

6. Concerned about how driving impacts the environment

7. Able to communicate and/or conduct business online instead

8. Disability/medical/vision problems
22 percent plan to never drive
Twenty-two percent of the respondents went so far as to say they planned to never obtain a driver’s license. About 69 percent said they would get a license eventually.

When compared to their peers of the same age, those without a driver’s license tended to be less educated and more unemployed. That could suggest economics is a factor in their decision and put strong emphasis on answer number two.

Whether or not money is the main factor, the answers tend to suggest that driving simply isn’t a big deal for today’s teenagers and even young adults. But economics can’t be overlooked.

The Wall Street Journal points to the rising cost of both new and used vehicles. Earlier this year the average transaction price of a new car surpassed $37,000. Both Ford and GM have eliminated or cut back on the small sedans they produce, pouring their efforts instead into trucks and SUVs, which have a higher profit margin.

Driving classes getting older
Brent Wall, who operates a driving school in Michigan, told The Journal that the kids in his classes are older than they were a decade ago. Some had to be pushed by their parents to learn to drive a car.

One possible reason the researchers haven’t advanced is that the road is a much scarier place than it was 10 or 20 years ago. There is more traffic moving at faster rates of speed.

When researchers at The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia's (CHOP) Center for Injury Research and Prevention and the University of Pennsylvania set up a driving simulator with real-world hazardous driving scenarios, young drivers didn’t do so well.

During the 35-minute simulation, which incorporated 22 variations of the most common ways teen drivers crash, nearly 43 percent of teen drivers who had their licenses three months or less recorded at least one crash in the simulator.

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/news/todays-teens-seem-to-be-in-no-hurry-to-drive-042319.html

The affect they have on the environment plays a part as well.

Seems like in general my generation as well as the newer generations are cognizant of the harmful effects we've had on the environment.

Rather make little sacrifices now that will add up to be a solution rather than big sacrifices later after weve fully realized we ****** ourselves.

If I lived in a walkable city with good public transit I'd probably get rid of my car if I didn't have an electric.

man, when i was a teenager, i couldn't wait to get my license and start driving!

i heard the weirdest thing a couple days ago. my coworker has a 16 y.o daughter who doesn't really care for a driver's license. her friends don't really care for getting it either. she asked her daughter why they don't want to get them and her daughter replied, "why do we need cars to see each other? we just facetime now anyways." :sick::sick::smh::smh:

Took me a minute to get my license because I never had anyone else in my family who drove or had a license. Feel like it's vital as an adult when you want to buy something and move somewhere where you'd like to raise a family.

It really is too expensive for most, though. The old ways of having a car and buying a home doesn't really work for this generation, partly because your money gets pulled in 17 more different directions today.

man, when i was a teenager, i couldn't wait to get my license and start driving!

i heard the weirdest thing a couple days ago. my coworker has a 16 y.o daughter who doesn't really care for a driver's license. her friends don't really care for getting it either. she asked her daughter why they don't want to get them and her daughter replied, "why do we need cars to see each other? we just facetime now anyways." :sick::sick::smh::smh:

Teenagers have such limited thinking. Driving isn’t just about seeing your friends.

damb back when I was a teen, getting your drive license was a huge milestone and something to look forward to.

guess teens are just idiots these days.

Make sense. I’ve been trying to get my daughter excited, who’s 13, to study for her driver license. She’s like “meh”, there’s Uber and it’s cheaper :lol: .

I hope you hit her with the "whos paying for the uber? "

I couldn't wait to get my licence when I was a teen.

It was definitely a rite of passage, and a sign of maturity.

Having a license was definitely huge for me cuz it convinced me to find a job since my mom won’t let me use her car then if I didn’t have gas money on my own. So yeah, the process of obtaining one does set you up for opportunities and responsibilities. :pimp:

Uber/Lyft and ride share etc play a big part in this too.

Yup. My friend has a 19YO and the thought of a license is lost on him. I couldn't wait to get my license and drive, and can't imagine paying every time I wanted to go somewhere.

I live in South Florida, you need a car IMO, but he doesn't care I guess.

The younger generation more than anyone spends the majority of their time glued to the phone. Picturing them all getting licenses is terrifying. Maybe this is a good thing :lol:
Exactly. Way too many distractions with teens snap chatting , ig’inch and texting while driving. Eventually they will end up dead before they even graduate college.

damb back when I was a teen, getting your drive license was a huge milestone and something to look forward to.

guess teens are just idiots these days.

I hope you hit her with the "whos paying for the uber? "

But who's paying for the car, the gas , the insurance? She's right uber exists, bikes exist.

The younger generation more than anyone spends the majority of their time glued to the phone. Picturing them all getting licenses is terrifying. Maybe this is a good thing :lol:

I’m really glad I grew up before the cellphone and smartphone dominant era. I had a cellphone senior year of high school but never used it. Can’t imagine being a teacher now and most of the kids are looking at their phones in class.

I was embarrassed when I was a senior in high school and didn’t have a license. When she tell you “pick me up” and you couldn’t drive yet and had to have the homie 3rd wheel lmao.

But I know some dudes who didn’t learn how to drive until they were 22/23 :smh: like bruh cmon.

Back
Top Bottom