TEAM FITNESS OFFICIAL NUTRITION THREAD

Originally Posted by akuratl02

Originally Posted by keepzdasneakz

I know lots of us are busy in the mornings, and getting "real" food can be a problem at times. However, here's a simple solution:

I make a gigantic batch of oatmeal on Sundays or something (about maybe 4-5 days worth) and then I just refrigerate it. All you have to do the mornings you want breakfast is to take out and microwave.

I cant eat oatmeal everyday for breakfast though, bout to switch up to that hard-boil egg status.

Listen I want to gain wait neatly ... how can I average say 1-2 lbs a week even though I heard gaining 2 lbs per week is not good.

Joe Camel, team fitness, J Dilla ... someone help !!!
frown.gif
 .. Between work and school my appetite is completely controlled by my schedule, so some days good, some days bad.  Whats an excellent supplement meal ??

Are you just starting out or have you been working out for a while(2+ yrs consistently at least) already?

Someone who is just starting out can gain 2 pounds a week of mostly good weight just by eating a lot more and lifting heavy  3-5 times a week.

For someone who has already been lifting consistently for a couple of years, I would put limit at about 1 pound per week for someone with good genetics and their Diet completely dialed in.

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

^ Do you have access to REAL food at 8 AM? Why not get some food in your system instead of the shake? What is your reasoning? Not bashing, just asking.

That seems good though. Keep eating. Keep eating. Especially if you are active.

I had a "ball" yesterday, so I have to clean myself up today.

After the luncheon yesterday, I had to have drank 7 cups (16 oz cups) of water to flush all of that sugar out. I pissed like 6 times from 6 PM - 11 PM.

Today

9 AM
2 big plates of salad left over from party. Funny nobody even touched them yesterday.
Red beans, corn, avacdo, cilantro, tomato salsa blend

11 AM
Banana

12:15
Spinning Class

2:30
Curry chicken w/Rice N Peas. Yea I know

4 PM
Craisins + Cashew mix

6:30 PM
Whatever food they have at my part-time. Probably more salad to be honest.

I just feel if I have a big load of carbs first thing I get sleepy and more hungry.  The protein shake just gets my metabolism going fine for some reason.

Yeah definitely, im always active so I need to keep eating - it doesnt help that my metabolism is quite fast too.  Bout to buy some Whey today.

Hey guys, WATER is not my thing. I honestly tried drinking water but it's hard to simply drink water.

I tend to drink apple juice, orange juice, cranberry juice and snapples. None of them have high fructose corn syrup.

Are those drinks good replacements for water or should I aim towards something else? If so which drinks other than water would you guys recommend?

Originally Posted by Kartoon2005

Hey guys, WATER is not my thing. I honestly tried drinking water but it's hard to simply drink water.

I tend to drink apple juice, orange juice, cranberry juice and snapples. None of them have high fructose corn syrup.

Are those drinks good replacements for water or should I aim towards something else? If so which drinks other than water would you guys recommend?

waters good bc it has no sugar/sodium etc. find drinks really low in sugar/sodium. even 100% juice is still high in sugar naturally 

Nothing can replace good ol' H20. Maybe get some of those sugar free Kool Aid single packets that are like 10 calories per packet and add it to the water?

Originally Posted by mcnoodlez

waters good bc it has no sugar/sodium etc. find drinks really low in sugar/sodium. even 100% juice is still high in sugar naturally 
Yea your right. I will just have to remind myself juices still have sugar and force myself into drinking water. Ahhhhh

Also is putting regular milk in oatmeal good? I tried both water and milk but milk tastes much better to me.

Alright NT fam, I finally decided to do something about my weight. I'm 5'10-205, I wanna get to around the 170-180 area. I've already cut out soda, juices etc. ( I pretty much only drink water and milk and alcohol on the weekends)

A couple problems that i know i have to change:
-I have class at 9:30 monday-thursday and i always skip breakfast
smh.gif

-I eat cookies, sugary cereals and sweets.

So pretty much, what are some good(and affordable) foods i can eat for breakfast every morning?
Also what are some healthy snacks i can eat in between meals?

Any other advice is appreciated. I just bookmarked the thread so I'll be posting alot in the future
pimp.gif

7:00: Bowl of cantaloupe and mango
9:15: 2 Boiled eggs
10:30: Oatmeal with mashed bananas + ate the other half of the banana
12:30: Gala Apple
Post Workout: Ate a HUGE salad today for lunch with half of a can of tuna

Don't know what I will eat for dinner

FOund this. Wanted to share with everyone. SOme nice recipes here - http://www.smoothieweb.com/

Originally Posted by NikeTalker23

Nothing can replace good ol' H20. Maybe get some of those sugar free Kool Aid single packets that are like 10 calories per packet and add it to the water?
Bad advice. All of those sugar free items have some form of fake sugar. (aspartame) which is known to be worse than sugar. Don't do that. You have to drink water. No way around it.

there is no replacement. your body is at least 60% water and many a nutritionist would recommend at least 1.5-2 L a day. it is what it is. the "water replacement" are junk food basically

[h1]from simply recipes
[/h1][h1]Basic Tomato Sauce[/h1]of course adjust the vegetables and spices as needed/or on hand

[h3]Ingredients[/h3]
  • 2 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
  • 1 small carrot or 1/2 large carrot, finely chopped
  • 1 small stalk of celery, including the green tops, finely chopped
  • 2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried basil or 2 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
  • 1 28 oz. can whole tomatoes, including the juice, or 1 3/4 pound of fresh tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
  • 1 teaspoon tomato paste
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

[h3]Method[/h3]
1 Heat olive oil in a large wide skillet on medium heat. Add the chopped onion, carrot, celery and parsley. Stir to coat. Reduce the heat to low, cover the skillet and cook for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally until the vegetables are softened and cooked through.

basic-tomato-sauce-1.jpg
basic-tomato-sauce-2.jpg

2 Remove cover and add the minced garlic. Increase the heat to medium high. Cook for garlic for 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes, including the juice and shredding them with your fingers if you are using canned whole tomatoes. Add the tomato paste and the basil. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a low simmer, reduce the heat to low and cook, uncovered until thickened, about 15 minutes. If you want you can push the sauce through a food mill, or blend it with an immersion blender, to give it a smooth consistency.

Makes 2 1/2 cups of sauce.

Eggs and Proats has deff been a staple to my diet and it has been very effective.

Glad this thread is back up.

This is what I eat/take:

Morning:
drink a bottled water (or drink a propel if I have some)
take two multivitamins (bodytech ultimate men)
take two fish oil pills (alaskan salmon oil)

Breakfast:
Usually quaker oats oatmeal with 2% milk
apple
weight gainer protien shake with another bottled water

Lunch:

Tuna sandwich from subway with swiss cheese, spinach, cucumber, lettuce, and lite mayo
Bottled water

Dinner:

Usually it's the other half of the tuna sandwich...

Workout:
**After dinner I workout at night usually around 10pm. after the workout, I take another protien shake**

Late night snack (usually don't eat one):

bowl of kashi cereal. Kinda like frosted mini wheats without the frost.

What do you all think of this? I sometimes throw in a grilled chicken sandwich for lunch instead of a tuna sandwich. I use whole wheat bread 100% of the time too. I feel much better eating this as opposed to Wendy's, and McD's, and Whataburger like I was eating before...

Here's what I usually eat everyday:
-1 Cup of oatmeal, with 1 tbsp of PB, Dash of Milk
-2 Egg Whites, 1 Whole Egg Omelet with whatever veggies I have
-1/2 Cup of Cottage Cheese + Spoon of Salsa (Really good snack)
-1 Chicken Breast with Spinach + Almonds Salad

What I eat daily:

Breakfast: 4 eggs whites, 3 pieces of wheat toast, 1/4 pound of turkey, a cup of oj and water
Pre workout: 2 bananas (usually and 2hrs after breakfast)
Post: 3 slices of wheat bread, organic peanut butter, and a cup of chocolate milk
Lunch: white rice/brown rice and either beef, fish, or chicken
Dinner: same as lunch
Before bed: Greek yogurt and walnuts

Originally Posted by roc4life24

[h1]from simply recipes
[/h1][h1]Basic Tomato Sauce[/h1]of course adjust the vegetables and spices as needed/or on hand

[h3]Ingredients[/h3]
  • 2 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
  • 1 small carrot or 1/2 large carrot, finely chopped
  • 1 small stalk of celery, including the green tops, finely chopped
  • 2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried basil or 2 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
  • 1 28 oz. can whole tomatoes, including the juice, or 1 3/4 pound of fresh tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
  • 1 teaspoon tomato paste
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

[h3]Method[/h3]
1 Heat olive oil in a large wide skillet on medium heat. Add the chopped onion, carrot, celery and parsley. Stir to coat. Reduce the heat to low, cover the skillet and cook for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally until the vegetables are softened and cooked through.

basic-tomato-sauce-1.jpg
basic-tomato-sauce-2.jpg

2 Remove cover and add the minced garlic. Increase the heat to medium high. Cook for garlic for 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes, including the juice and shredding them with your fingers if you are using canned whole tomatoes. Add the tomato paste and the basil. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a low simmer, reduce the heat to low and cook, uncovered until thickened, about 15 minutes. If you want you can push the sauce through a food mill, or blend it with an immersion blender, to give it a smooth consistency.

Makes 2 1/2 cups of sauce.
Thanks for that. I have been looking for a tomato sauce recipe.

7:00: Yogurt w/Grape Nuts and Banana
9:30: Oatmeal w/Milled Flaxseed
12:30: Large Salad
1:30: Workout
3:00: Brown Rice + String Beans (Didn't feel like making any meat this morning)
4:30: Large Orange

Originally Posted by majik214

This is what I eat/take:

Morning:
drink a bottled water (or drink a propel if I have some)
take two multivitamins (bodytech ultimate men)
take two fish oil pills (alaskan salmon oil)

Breakfast:
Usually quaker oats oatmeal with 2% milk
apple
weight gainer protien shake with another bottled water

Lunch:

Tuna sandwich from subway with swiss cheese, spinach, cucumber, lettuce, and lite mayo
Bottled water

Dinner:

Usually it's the other half of the tuna sandwich...

Workout:
**After dinner I workout at night usually around 10pm. after the workout, I take another protien shake**

Late night snack (usually don't eat one):

bowl of kashi cereal. Kinda like frosted mini wheats without the frost.

What do you all think of this? I sometimes throw in a grilled chicken sandwich for lunch instead of a tuna sandwich. I use whole wheat bread 100% of the time too. I feel much better eating this as opposed to Wendy's, and McD's, and Whataburger like I was eating before...
Throw some snacks in there between meals. Fruit, raw veggies (non-cooked veggies). Try the Subway without the cheese.

Normally this is my routine. it's based on my work schedule which is late.

10 am  breakfast-   3 or 4 egg whites with crushed flax seeds sprinkled on top.  Any type of fruit, banana, apple etc.  And 1 small bowl of fiber heavy cereal with lowfat milk.

10:30 am jog or run for 15-20 minutes- water

11 am pre-workout snack- a few veggies, maybe carrots, sometimes celery.  10 unsalted peanuts. 1 cup fat free or lowfat yogurt (nancy's yogurt is the best) water

noon workout- I workout 6 days a week for about 1 hour, sometimes more.  I do abs everyday.  I obviously mix up the rest of the days workouts ex. 1 day I will do only chest/shoulders, the next day I'll do only biceps/triceps, the next day legs/back, then start back with chest/shoulders the next day and so on. I only drink water during the workout.

1:30 pm post workout shake- 1 cup lowfat milk, 1/2 cup frozen strawberrys 1/2 cup frozen pineapple, 1/2 cup orangejuice, 1 or 2 scoops of whey protein powder, 1 teaspoon of honey,  all blended together for some post workout goodness.

3:30 pm work starts( i work at a grocery store)  lots of water during the day

7:30 pm  lunch break- turkey sandwich with 100% whole wheat bread, slice of tomatoe, lettuce, mustard.  1 of any type of fruit ( usually an orange) water

12:00 am finally done with 8 hour work shift, dinner time - Usually small amount of chicken breast, small bowl of salad with fat free ranch, 1 100% whole wheat bread roll, 1 sweet potatoe( these are pretty nasty if you're not used to eating them so sometimes i sprinkle some brown sugar on them) water.   Sometimes i'll replace the chicken with some salmon and replace the sweet potatoe with rice.

So yeah that's the usual routine I stick to.  I did this for about 3 months straight in the winter and I swear I was ripped like an abercrombie model.  It's a pretty easy thing to keep up.  I stopped last month because I got a small promotion at work and had to adjust my schedule but I'm back at it again.  Summers coming up fellas gotta get ripped!!
smokin.gif
smokin.gif

also this milk is legit
nydb9u.jpg

and this hummus is crack. thinkin about cuttin a few things outta my diet so i can eat it more often
roll.gif

10ifeci.jpg

Dude, that Sabra hummus is craaaaaaaaaackkkkkkkkkkk. It's only 70 calories per tablespoon so I wouldnt worry too much about it.

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

Dude, that Sabra hummus is craaaaaaaaaackkkkkkkkkkk. It's only 70 calories per tablespoon so I wouldnt worry too much about it.

i know man but it's so good sometimes i eat way too much haha. damn near eat the whole tub everytime
roll.gif

i dont know if its only a Carribbean thing but the best way to make Tuna is with Tuna add mayo and squeeze a sour over it and mix it with black pepper its delicious.

Back
Top Bottom