Taxi 12's - December '13

LOL, damn auto correct - Genuine and Suede is what I wanted to say brah. Thanks for keeping me on my toes. 

Last edited:
Almost all OG kicks from the 80's to mid 90's had genuine materials used, ether leather, suede or nubuk.

And for Mercedes Benz, that is funny. Which model, which trim??? Its like you are saying BMW are not using turbo engines. 

All the models...all the trims. It's synthetic leather. Only the steering wheel has real leather. My brother sells Benzes in Queens. I was equally surprised to hear this news.

No, it is not like saying BMW isn't using turbo engines.

Ha, so the Nappa Leather on the S Calss is fake...hmmm sounds legit. You better tell your bro not to lie the clients, thought more sales means more money for the seller, no? 
http://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/DigitalAssets/pdfmb/brochures/2014-S-Class.pdf 

I'm not even considering reading a 32 pdf file.

But I'm telling you what was told to me. Maybe it's just the standard/entry-level leather that is synthetic? I don't even know or care to know what Nappa leather is.

Back to my original point...no real leather on Jordans.

Peace.

Not knowing what Nappa leather is comes only to show, that your knowledge on materials used in Jordan's or any other brands is limited and not very creditable, so...yeah. 

Jordan's 1 to 18 had real materials used, leather, nubuk, or suede. Beyond that I can't be sure. 

On a side note for the MB, only entry level C, CLA and few other have leatherette, which is a synthetic leather, just like Jordan Prime Flight and Jordan Ace 23 for example. 

Last edited:
^ yea....Real leather is an upgrade option with MB. Same with BMW. The leather on the door panels and console however is typically synth leather unless u order extended leather option$. I actually preferred the synth leatherette in my old 135i. It was a maintenance and longevity dream.

BTW

Taxi 12s: Hated them when they first dropped when I was in 8th grade but they are so sleek. Want to hear how this Taxi fits. My playoff 12s from april 2012 release are huge.

Last edited:
I'm not even considering reading a 32 pdf file.

But I'm telling you what was told to me. Maybe it's just the standard/entry-level leather that is synthetic? I don't even know or care to know what Nappa leather is.

Back to my original point...no real leather on Jordans.

Peace.

I find this hard to believe. People keep confusing Nike & Jordan Brand. They are technically run under different departments. Maybe Nike shoes don't use real leather but from I know and can be sure of is that Jordan Brand uses real leather. You gave info regarding information about Nike not Jordan. On all descriptions from Jordan shoes whether on Nike or Eastbay they state "Full Grain Leather" however, I do notice on Nike shoes like the Air Force 1 it says "Leather" so maybe that is the synethetic leather however I'm positive Jordan's use "REAL" leather. If you own a pair of Jordan Spizike Boots there's no way you can't tell me they didn't use real leather. Not to mention your claim that Mercedes Benz doesn't use real leather except on the steering wheel is absolutely false. Like did you even read the PDF for the S Class you posted? The S Class uses Nappa Leather which is from a calf, or baby lamb usually. Just because somebody told you something that doesn't mean it's true. Majority of the time people that work at places don't even know what the hell they're talking about and unfortunately for you, you fit in that category. :smh:

*Edit Excuse the 2 different company thing but you know what I was getting at. :stoneface: :lol:

Spoke to a rep, take this for whatever it's worth.

Evan: Hi, my name is Evan. How may I help you?
John Doe: Yes, I was inquiring about the use of Genuine Leather on Nike products.
Evan: Which shoe would you like to know about?
John Doe: Just any overall shoe from the Nike product line. Let's say the Nike Air Force 1 for example. I came across your NikeResponsibility.com website and it states, "We use a vast array of materials in Nike products – more than 16,000 in an average year. (As an example, a single pair of shoes, alone, uses an average of 30-plus materials.) These materials include everything from natural fibers such as cotton and wool to technical synthetic materials such as polyester, nylon, rubber, synthetic leather and ethylene vinyl acetate (EVA). - See more at: http://www.nikeresponsibility.com/report/content/chapter/materials#sthash.Pl32zDQQ.dpuf
Evan: I am sorry I don't quite understand what you are asking. What about our leather would you like to know?
John Doe: My question is does Nike use genuine leather on their products, for example does the Air Force 1 Mid White/White model use genuine leather?
Evan: We do use genuine leather, just depends on the shoe itself, one moment while I look into this shoe please.
Evan: I am not pulling up a mid Air Force one, would you happen to have a style number for that shoe?
John Doe: 24299651
John Doe: I think this is the correct style number 315123 111
Evan: I am looking at the back system end, and it says leather. generally if it were not authentic leather, we would list otherwise.
John Doe: One more question, our Nike & Jordan Brand the same company?
Evan: Nike is our company, Jordan is a Department of Nike. Jordan is it's own brand yes, but it falls under Nike.
John Doe: Okay, thanks!
Evan: Sorry to word that awkwardly.
Evan: You're welcome, anything else I would be able to help you with?
John Doe: No. Thanks.

Last edited:
For me, as someone that worked in a garment producing company for almost 5 years (not bragging or trying to look down on anyone) the best way to recognize the real genuine leather is the smell, anyone that had a close contact with leather of this type knows the smell, unless Nike of JB invents a fake leather smell or fake grains that are shown in the cuts, I will be able to recognize it. 

Back to the Taxi's, the OG pairs had much higher cut leather and they looked bulkier because of that, the black reptile leather was cut higher and the part on midfoot above the black leather was also cut a bit higher, so when you have them tight only the Two 3 was visible from the tongue upper, between the laces. 

Last edited:
Not knowing what Nappa leather is comes only to show, that your knowledge on materials used in Jordan's or any other brands is limited and not very creditable, so...yeah. 
Jordan's 1 to 18 had real materials used, leather, nubuk, or suede. Beyond that I can't be sure. 

On a side note for the MB, only entry level C, CLA and few other have leatherette, which is a synthetic leather, just like Jordan Prime Flight and Jordan Ace 23 for example. 

I'm not sure how not knowing what Nappa leather is has anything to do with materials used in Jordans...Does Nike use Nappa leather?

You made a good arguement before...even backed it up with written material. Good job. But this statement has no logic.

For me, as someone that worked in a garment producing company for almost 5 years (not bragging or trying to look down on anyone) the best way to recognize the real genuine leather is the smell, anyone that had a close contact with leather of this type knows the smell, unless Nike of JB invents a fake leather smell or fake grains that are shown in the cuts, I will be able to recognize it. 
Back to the Taxi's, the OG pairs had much higher cut leather and they looked bulkier because of that, the black reptile leather was cut higher and the part on midfoot above the black leather was also cut a bit higher, so when you have them tight only the Two 3 was visible from the tongue upper, between the laces. 

How do you smell anything other than glue?

I find this hard to believe. People keep confusing Nike & Jordan Brand. They are technically run under different departments. Maybe Nike shoes don't use real leather but from I know and can be sure of is that Jordan Brand uses real leather. You gave info regarding information about Nike not Jordan. On all descriptions from Jordan shoes whether on Nike or Eastbay they state "Full Grain Leather" however, I do notice on Nike shoes like the Air Force 1 it says "Leather" so maybe that is the synethetic leather however I'm positive Jordan's use "REAL" leather. If you own a pair of Jordan Spizike Boots there's no way you can't tell me they didn't use real leather. Not to mention your claim that Mercedes Benz doesn't use real leather except on the steering wheel is absolutely false. Like did you even read the PDF for the S Class you posted? The S Class uses Nappa Leather which is from a calf, or baby lamb usually. Just because somebody told you something that doesn't mean it's true. Majority of the time people that work at places don't even know what the hell they're talking about and unfortunately for you, you fit in that category. :smh:

*Edit Excuse the 2 different company thing but you know what I was getting at. :stoneface: :lol:

Spoke to a rep, take this for whatever it's worth.

Evan: Hi, my name is Evan. How may I help you?
John Doe: Yes, I was inquiring about the use of Genuine Leather on Nike products.
Evan: Which shoe would you like to know about?
John Doe: Just any overall shoe from the Nike product line. Let's say the Nike Air Force 1 for example. I came across your NikeResponsibility.com website and it states, "We use a vast array of materials in Nike products – more than 16,000 in an average year. (As an example, a single pair of shoes, alone, uses an average of 30-plus materials.) These materials include everything from natural fibers such as cotton and wool to technical synthetic materials such as polyester, nylon, rubber, synthetic leather and ethylene vinyl acetate (EVA). - See more at: http://www.nikeresponsibility.com/report/content/chapter/materials#sthash.Pl32zDQQ.dpuf
Evan: I am sorry I don't quite understand what you are asking. What about our leather would you like to know?
John Doe: My question is does Nike use genuine leather on their products, for example does the Air Force 1 Mid White/White model use genuine leather?
Evan: We do use genuine leather, just depends on the shoe itself, one moment while I look into this shoe please.
Evan: I am not pulling up a mid Air Force one, would you happen to have a style number for that shoe?
John Doe: 24299651
John Doe: I think this is the correct style number 315123 111
Evan: I am looking at the back system end, and it says leather. generally if it were not authentic leather, we would list otherwise.
John Doe: One more question, our Nike & Jordan Brand the same company?
Evan: Nike is our company, Jordan is a Department of Nike. Jordan is it's own brand yes, but it falls under Nike.
John Doe: Okay, thanks!
Evan: Sorry to word that awkwardly.
Evan: You're welcome, anything else I would be able to help you with?
John Doe: No. Thanks.

Lots of things here...

The person that posted the PDF is not me...I actually stated that I'm not considering reading that.

Incorrect information from Nike reps is nothing new (not saying this info is incorrect, I'm speaking in general terms).

No, I don't know what you meant by the 2 company thing...Seems like you said they are two different companies, then Evan said that was wrong.

trentbg trentbg was right about the smell of leather logic. But to me, it's just hard to smell through all the organic compounds of the glue evaporating. Guessing the glue they use is cheap, probably why it gives off such a stench

Last edited:

I was trying to PM you this cuz I didn't want to continue to clog this thread with irrelevant Mercedes talk, but for whatever reason, my PM's don't seem to be going through...

Found a short, 3-page PDF specifically about Mercedes leather...It appears that you are spot-on about the Nappa leather. But it also appears that Benz's standard leather, "Mercedes Benz leather", is a hybrid of authentic cow-hide leather and some Mercedes add-ins. Also, this "Mercedes" leather seems to be available on all classes, not just the 3 that you mentioned.

Peep it here:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...aOoWQMHh4-G_YbD2Q&sig2=115oCNmh2rchWgxzsF5afQ

Ok, good talk.

I thought the whole full grain vs split grain leather had already been discussed in these forums?

Anyway, I tried these on at my spot yesterday and they definitely run big.

@trentbg  was right about the smell of leather logic. But to me, it's just hard to smell through all the organic compounds of the glue evaporating. Guessing the glue they use is cheap, probably why it gives off such a stench
That is true, but for everyone that remembers the original releases, opening the box you could only smell the leather and no glue or other chemicals like now. Oping the box now, almost makes you faint. 
 I'm not sure how not knowing what Nappa leather is has anything to do with materials used in Jordans...Does Nike use Nappa leather?
I wish Nike was using Nappa, but the kicks will be in the $300-400 range :smile: Nappa is a genuine leather, just like the leather used in the old original sneakers, but much more expensive, that is the connection, both are real leathers. Anyway, good talk indeed. 

Last edited:
That white material is tumble leather like on previous Laney 5 and steel 10 release. Nothing wrong with this shoe.

Just came out the womb during the OG Taxis release so I defer to you trentbg trentbg :lol:.

Not that I can't appreciate OGs either though. Thing of beauty to me. A shame JB respects money more than the art of the shoe now. :smh:

That white material is tumble leather like on previous Laney 5 and steel 10 release. Nothing wrong with this shoe.
Indeed, the regular split grain tumble leather is fine, I have no major complains.

Last edited:
Always a pleasure to have a discussion...a difference of opinions...and it not turn into a fight.

Appreciate the lesson, trentbg

No worries at all my man, all conversations a productive and positive IMO, we are here bond by the same passion, the passion for kicks. 

I wish they toned down a bit on the glue though, my dog lost his vision in its left eye just walking in the sneaker room 
roll.gif

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom