Stranger Things: Season4 in 2022? WTF

'Stranger Things 2': Dacre Montgomery Says His Character Isn't Racist

tmp_A7KHMF_7b8f95ad63acfc25_Who-Plays-Max-Brother-Billy-Stranger-Things.jpg

http://comicbook.com/tv-shows/2017/11/01/stranger-things-2-dacre-montgomery-billy-racist/

The long-awaited return of Stranger Things introduced fans to a bunch of new characters to the franchise, including new party member Max (Sadie Sink) and her awful older brother Billy (Dacre Montgomery).

And while Stranger Things 2 has been praised for pushing the horror and mystery of Hawkins, Indiana, in new and interesting ways, Billy has been derided among fans of the series. But Montgomery defended his character after the series premiere, discussing Billy's thought process with Huffington Post.

"When I first started reading the description between Billy and Lucas, I was like, 'Oh, you know, he's a racist ****," admitted Montgomery, referring to a scene in the series when Billy sees his little sister hanging out with Lucas.

"There are certain type of people in this world that you stay away from, and that kid, Max, that kid is one of them," Billy says. "You stay away from him, you hear me? Stay away."

Though the racist implications are far from subtle, Montgomery's opinion on the character changed.

"I think he feels threatened. Like I said, these male figures in his life, whether it's Lucas (Caleb McLaughlin), Steve (Joe Keery), his dad (Will Chase), whoever these different characters that embody his world are ... if Max is that one constant, he knows he needs to drop off and look after [her].

"If any of these characters object with that person and his relationship with that person, it's a threatened kind of behavior," Montgomery said. "It's that animalistic side of like, 'You're threatening my sibling, my world. What are you doing? Who is this boy who’s trying to weave his way into my life through my sister?'"

The Duffer Brothers have stated they wanted to introduce a new human antagonist unrelated to the issues of the Upside Down or the Hawkins Lab. Montgomery, no matter what fans think of the character he plays, definitely fits that bill, though the show does try to flesh out his character later on in a scene with his abusive father.

"There's also a far more sinister side to where everything is going through Billy in the future that we've only had very small discussions about, aside from his dad and maybe what it has truly turned him into [...] There’s something far more sinister going on with Billy. We'll see how that unfolds," Montgomery said.

We'll see if the show continues down that path when the show returns for its inevitable third season.

Stranger Things 2 is now streaming on Netflix.

Eleven slander from earlier??! Y’all MF’s trippin hard!

She’s the type to make ya enemies pee on themselves, throws bullies in the air, and break ya enemies legs if they beefin with y’all.

That’s real loyalty and a real a** friend!

Can’t find that these days

such a cop out,
why even have Billy literally only have a problem with Lucas and make it a huge deal when Max had to run off with Lucas or the confrontation with ALL THE OTHER kids and Billy goes straight for Lucas, dude didn't even go hard at Steve like he should've(because steve straight up lied about his missing sister) until steve stepped in for Lucas.
Had his dad calling people F***ots and all that, but ok, there's just something so much more sinister going on with Billy. None of his dads thinking has rubbed on to Billy

I'll praise The Duffer Bros. all the live long day when it comes to the 80's, the scifi, the homage paid, the music etc. But don't go THERE if you're not willing to GO THERE. I mean I got my popcorn ready the minute he delivered those lines to Max about Lucas, and was ready to see how this show was gonna handle that going forward. Especially after the whole Winston argument they were having too :lol:

I didn't see Billy as racist, just a dude obsessed with his sister and any dude she talks to like (like Tony Montana). I can see how his character could be interpreted as being racist tho.

I saw the obsession up until dude clearly didn't care and his dad had to backhand him and give him that speech in order to make him go out and find her. Billy only seemed to want her around so he could yell and control her like the way the dad yells and controls him. After Max got away with Lucas, dude went back to bench pressin and chain smokin on some "Oh well" steez.

I mean he finds his sister in a house, with no parental supervision with a group of dudes, at night, and walks past 95% of the other guys to get to Lucas. After being directly lied to about his sisters whereabouts by Steve.

regardless, dude made it a point to specifically single out Lucas out of the entire crew, even though besides Will, Max shared "moments" with dustin, mike as well as Lucas

I'm not trying to even start a back and forth and be that guy. I'm just shocked that he's not racist after the buildup I thought was gonna happen and thought the show was gonna address it, only to have it fizzle out like that. I mean I definitely sat up and my wife raised an eyebrow the minute Billy started talkin bout Lucas. I guess it went as far as that.

Last edited:
Dude walked in the crib with all the kids and acted like the white ones didn't exist. I can see him just being obsessed though I guess.

Meh, I never got the thought in my mind once that his character was racist

Whenever Max wasn't with the party she was with Lucas, makes sense he focused on just Lucas ignoring the fact that they made him her love interest

The only time race has ever been brought up in this show was the Ghostbusters scene at the school

Dude walked in the crib with all the kids and acted like the white ones didn't exist. I can see him just being obsessed though I guess.
It was obssesiveness with Lucas at that point. Lucas was the first one he saw spitting at her, then she went to the Arcade and dude saw her in there again with Lucas spitting, then when she opens the door there stands Lucas.

I just thought it was Lucas he didn't like because Lucas was the one going hard for her and being "seen" with her.
I didn't really think it was because Lucas was black even after the "is he racist" question was posed...

I dont see how billy was obsessed with Max

Didnt he call her a POS and say that she wasnt his sister..just his half sister?

Feel like im missing somehting

At the beginning I was glad Steve lost her, but damn I'm kinda back on his side :lol: Jonathan the homie tho

Wasted Max and Billy.
I think they started out too ambitious and just ran out of time.
Season was cool overall but I really hate
1.Bob dies
2.Max/Billy were wasted
3.Eleven spent the whole Season (1-6 in lockup)
4.Eleven doesn't see the boys until Season finale
5.Dustin didn't get Max, Lucas did
6.Lucas sucks, he *****es constantly about anything
7.Lucas

You my bro but you gonna have to back back on the homie Lucas. Don't be mad she ain't checkin for Jaws

glad Bob died. Sean Astin is trash, he's lucky to be casted in such iconic roles.

Billy is a mega douche, not sure if he's racist or what. dudes saying he's just protective of Max but he treats her like **** so it don't compute. most punchable face ever too.

Lucas with the bandanna :smokin

When they were all at Will's house and Lucas had the wrist rocket cocked next to Hopper with the M16 :lol:

King Steve is the man, hated dude the first go around but he's all the way redeemed.

every love story is trash, I don't care about any characters hooking up

but since they bagging why my man Dustin on the bench. :smh:

lol @ this dude hating on 11, the fact that you can't see why she isn't a normal kid makes your arguments null

Last edited:
Seriously that episodes was one of the best of the series and the best this season so far, still gotta watch the finale, but WOW...that was great TV, the kid that plays Will is a hell of an actor, Hopper is as always perfect, Dustin is freaking awesome too....

I don't know why but Lucas little sister is low key one of the highlights for me this season, she was so unintentionally funny to me :rofl:

Back
Top Bottom