Stovetop espresso machines: ever used one?

darthska

Staff member
Have you ever used one? Have you ever known anyone that's used one or had one?

180px-Coffe_percolator_moka.jpg
47753.jpg
DSCF2758.JPG

Yessir. Much faster and makes much less of a mess than the electrics do.

All you need is one of those, some sugar, and
basket_22.jpg

I have one...well my mother does.
It's very simple to use, easy to clean, much easier IMO.

Here's why I ask: my wife and I have gone through 3 plug-in espresso machines.

And the reason is because we freaking used them all the time when we had them.
laugh.gif
embarassed.gif

So I've been thinking lately 'Maybe we need a more durable, longer lasting espresso machine.'

And these stovetop machines seem to be more durable.

But from what I've read online, the espresso is a bit more bitter than plug-in models, and the finished product can be way more hot than the espresso froma plug-in model. Neither of those would matter to us, because we don't drink plain espresso; we use it to make mochas or cappuccinos.

But the other concern we had was that very few stovetop machines have a frother on them. We love frothed milk in our mochas.
ohwell.gif
I read on one website that youcan make your own 'krema' or 'crema' in a separate pot by whipping sugar and a small amount of espresso over low heat.

You guys have any input on any of that?

Well my mother basically told me exactly what it says here on Wiki, hope it helps.

Stovetop espresso makers produce dark coffee, but they usually lack the necessary pressure which creates a foam emulsion known as crema. However you can make your own sugar crema easily. Use a separate serving pot with desired amount of sugar in it depending on the size of your Moka 2,4,6 or even 8 cup machines are available. One and a half teaspoons of sugar per cup is a good ratio. Simply pour the first teaspoon or so of espresso the machine makes into the separate serving pot with the sugar in it, close the lid back down to let the machine finish brewing. While it brews, whip the sugar with a spoon, with the teaspoon of coffee in the serving pot rapidly until it turns frothy and no longer gritty. Pour the rest of the brewed coffee into serving pot with froth in bottom, stir gently. The crema will float on top and is much tastier that the automatic machines. Serve into cups and enjoy.

I have that first one, and it's lasted us a good 2-3 years

I haven't had machine espresso in a while, but the stovetop is pretty bitter, not tooo bad.

as for the frother, no idea.

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

Here's why I ask: my wife and I have gone through 3 plug-in espresso machines.

And the reason is because we freaking used them all the time when we had them.
laugh.gif
embarassed.gif

So I've been thinking lately 'Maybe we need a more durable, longer lasting espresso machine.'

And these stovetop machines seem to be more durable.

But from what I've read online, the espresso is a bit more bitter than plug-in models, and the finished product can be way more hot than the espresso from a plug-in model. Neither of those would matter to us, because we don't drink plain espresso; we use it to make mochas or cappuccinos.

But the other concern we had was that very few stovetop machines have a frother on them. We love frothed milk in our mochas.
ohwell.gif
I read on one website that you can make your own 'krema' or 'crema' in a separate pot by whipping sugar and a small amount of espresso over low heat.

You guys have any input on any of that?

We pour a little of the coffee into a cup that already has a little sugar and stir that, then add the rest. I'm not sure if that's consideredfrothed because we don't do it in a pot or anything. As far as milk, we just add some warm milk. Maybe a little cinnamon as well.

So would any of you have any recommended models? If you can find the model you have, or a previous model you had that you wish you still had, let me know whatit is.

I think we're going to go ahead and get one if we can find it cheap enough.

180px-Coffe_percolator_moka.jpg
This type of stove-top espresso machine is caled a percolator. I love coffee fom percolators, especially old dirty ones. It may be mental, but Ithink its like eating food from an old pot. Has all of that residual goodness in there. I would not recomend it for shots of espresso though.

Espresso is made by forcing very hot water under high pressure through coffee that is extremely fine.

coffee_percolator.jpg

With a percolator, the water in section A does not go through section B with enough pressure, so you do not get any crema. Crema is the most important part ofa good shot of espresso (imo) because it is the source of the shots sweetness. It comes from the natural oils that are secreted out of the coffee beans duringroasting mixing with the water.
The bootleg crema on wiki will not pass for any coffee enthusiast (sp?) but try it. If you like it who cares. Great espresso machines that make good crema costa lot of money.

If price were no issue, here is what I would get. It works great looks very elegant (it was designed by bmw hence the dashboard look/feel)

hp1.gif

You can pull customized shots with great crema, and froth milk with the same machine.

Hope I helped. I love (talking about) coffee so if you have any questions let me know.

^ See, price isn't an issue, but that doesn't mean all cheaper models should be ruled out.

I don't mind spending $400 on an espresso machine... so long as there is no other option.

The three previous models we've owned were all under $100, and I hardly believe that the reason they failed to last a long time was because theyweren't an expensive model.

And from all the accounts I've read so far online (I've been reading stuff online since I made this thread), these stovetop deals last a loooong time.The longest I have heard so far has been 14 years; dude said he has just replaced the gasket every year, and that's always been under $2 for him.

I'm a little confused on this 'crema' deal. The only thing we had espresso machines for was to make lattes, mochas, and cappuccinos. We never drankthe espresso by itself as a shot, like many people do. We're not big coffee enthusiasts; we just liked being able to make mochas and lattes whenever wewanted, and we still have our syrups we put in our drinks.

So the only thing we're after is a really strong brew, strong enough to be noticed after being mixed with hazelnut syrup (for example), chocolate syrup,and warm milk.

I hope that all made sense.

Sound like you sould go with the percolator. The coffee will be strong enough for what you say you want to do with it and they really do last forever. Idon't know how old my moms is but it has to be at least a decade old.
If you are going to add syrups and chocolate than you might not need an espresso machine like the Sirena. The machine will just help you make a latte orcapucinno taste sweet without adding sugar. (Crema is sweet and milk that has been airated (sp) while its cold will taste sweet.) I dont know the sciencebehing it but heres a bunch of info on http://coffeegeek.com/

^ Much appreciated, bro.

I have a question about the hesitancy to call these things 'stovetop ESPRESSO machines'.

I have seen about 3 or 4 different names for what people call them, mainly 'moka' machines or 9as you call them) percolators. Now, the fact that peoplehesitate to call them 'espresso machines' leads me to believe that the final product being produced is nowhere near the super-strong, bold drink youget from a true espresso machine.

Would you say that's true? Would you say that the final product from these stovetop machines is inferior to the product coming out of a true espressomachine? And if you would agree that it is inferior, would you still say it's enjoyable to drink by itself?

Because I called my wife about a few that I found and I told her the things being said in this thread, and she said that she WOULD drink espresso by itself,and that she had tried a few times with the machines we had before, but that it was too bland.

Some of the things online said that these stovetop machines produce a more bitter brew than that of an espresso machine, but I don't really know if theymean 'strong' when they say 'bitter'.

It is more bitter for sure, but that's why you have sugar. IMO, it's just as good as the electric machines until you start getting into the machinesthat cost a few thousand dollars.

It will probably be best to go to the corner store, to spring the $10 it costs, and to test it out.
pimp.gif

Sorry, I hate to sound ignorant, but... does 'more bitter' translate to 'more strong'?

For me, I don't care, because I could never drink a shot of espresso. But my wife apparently did try a few times with the plug-in machines we had before,but she said it was always too weak, so she just went ahead and used it for a coffee drink instead of a plain shot of espresso.

Sure, if that's where you're mind's at.
wink.gif

Not everyone looks at every long, cylindrical object with a curved tip as a phallic symbol; just some look at them that way. You're apparently one of thosethat do.

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

Sure, if that's where you're mind's at.
wink.gif

Not everyone looks at every long, cylindrical object with a curved tip as a phallic symbol; just some look at them that way. You're apparently one of those that do.

Yep, Ska. I love penises.

^ I neither said that or inferred it. I simply made the point that a minority of people would view that as a phallic symbol without being prompted to do so.
Originally Posted by Jose Marti

I'm Cuban so this is an everyday item for me.
That's what I've heard, that these are mainstays in Cuban and Italian homes. Do you know what kind (brand + model) you have?

my grandmother has been using the same stove top espresso pot since the 80s

very durable but its not my piece of pie

personally i prefer the machine because it produces a less bitter/strong taste

Man, thanks for the help, everyone!

We got a Bialetti stovetop machine about a week ago, and it couldn't possibly be easier to use or cleanup. Reading the customer reviews, I saw that a fewfolks were like 'Don't buy this thing. It's hard to use. I just threw mine away' and crap like that. Well now that I've had one for about aweek and a half and I've used it every day since getting it, trying to perfect my own recipe, I feel sorry for the people that failed at this, because theyhave to also be failing at many parts of life.
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom