Stephen A. Smith Wylin

Judgement isn’t SAS job

His job is the ‘take’, it’s the entertainment of the opinion

It’s why he isn’t required to be well informed and it doesn’t really matter if he’s wrong as hell.. his only concern is the ratings/views/clicks

And he pretty much says as much here:

I don't know if it's a right or wrong side to this but these women been saying for years the league needs more attention and more eyes and here you have the most popular WNBA in however long but you don't put her on the team. You can't then turnaround and complain about people not watching.

Marketing plays a role in every public business, especially one that's struggling.

I don't know if it's a right or wrong side to this but these women been saying for years the league needs more attention and more eyes and here you have the most popular WNBA in however long but you don't put her on the team. You can't then turnaround and complain about people not watching.

Marketing plays a role in every public business, especially one that's struggling.

It is not a black or white thing

As I said in the women’s basketball thread, Michael Phelps and Simone biles still had to show up to their respective trials to qualify to then enable them to be on team USA

Katie ledecky won’t be gifted a spot on the Olympic team in a few days.. if she screws or something bad happens at the trials, she won’t be in Paris

While some are focusing more and more and more on the entertainment aspects to sports and athletes and the worlds surrounding them.. it ain’t the wrestling, the competition itself gotta carry some weight

Last edited:
It is not a black or white thing

As I said in the women’s basketball thread, Michael Phelps and Simone biles still had to show up to their respective trials to qualify to then enable them to be on team USA

Katie ledecky won’t be gifted a spot on the Olympic team in a few days.. if she screws or something bad happens at the trials, she won’t be in Paris

While some are focusing more and more and more on the entertainment aspects to sports and athletes and the worlds surrounding them.. it ain’t the wrestling, the competition itself gotta carry some weight
I'd say USA swimming/gymnastics aren't in the same situation as the WNBA, in terms of looking to increase interest and viewership.

Bruh be walking in like Prime Mike and Kobe :lol:

Bopping like Fly Guy from “I’m gonna get you sucka”. :lol: :rofl:

008A0B9F-069F-4675-B81B-74DB081D650B.gif

I'd say USA swimming/gymnastics aren't in the same situation as the WNBA, in terms of looking to increase interest and viewership.

Theyre in worse situations, outside of the Olympics which is every 4 years

They tried getting a swimming league going (ISL) but some shady shh went down with the person funding it

Outside of the very top people, those are rough sports especially for the women.. in both swimming and gymnastics women’s body developments as they mature aren’t conducive to the actual sport itself (developing hips and breast plus higher body fat in general)

Before NIL, in order to maintain college illegibility (and essentially get free coaching, use of facilities and room/board) younger olympians couldn’t actually financial benefit from their Olympic success

So take missy franklin, for example, she was 17 when she blew up at the 2012 London Olympics.. but by the time the 2016 Olympics came around and she grew up a bit and her body changed she wasn’t as fast as she was as a 17 year old plus having injuries because swimming and everything that goes into it can be hard on the body

At least with women’s basketball you can actually make a sustained living outside of being one of those top handful of people that get money from the big sponsors which is no where near Nike, adidas or any of those bigger brands.. Speedo, arena, tyr, lesser degree finis have their handful of athletes each but they ain’t paying major major money and swimming is kinda an expensive sport when you have $200-$400 tech suits that don’t have the longest lifespans plus rip very very easily plus everything else that goes into it

Last edited:
If you’re not Michael Phelps or Simone biles, literally

You best option is to be someone like Joseph schooling, the guy from Singapore who beat Phelps and won gold in the 100 fly in rio

Never broke a world record.. but he was his country’s first and only gold medal in the sport

His country while he still swam post college (he went texas), probably covered his living and training costs.. plus he got a huge payout and probably land for the gold medal and the country probably held it until he was done to not affect his amateur status

And he’s probably guaranteed some superficial government post for the rest of his life to constantly give him money and most he’ll have to do is maybe do some speaking appearances at schools or something

He also benefited from sponsorship deals in that region

Waddya think?

both tweeters and SAS are annoying for trying to act like they are the president of black people.

nothing i find more annoying than people confidently proclaiming to speak for "black people".

the idea that "black people" want chris rock to get slapped.
or that "black people" won't go see will smith movies is stupid.

it's laundering your own opinion on pretending to it's the opinion of "black people"

He goes on the food attack w/ Molly so often but it’s extra funny when he’s talking **** & got the fattest columnist covering the sport he’s referring to on his show giggling.

You can see it in Andrea’s face there that she’s over the lame chatty patty stuff like that. It really sucks how ESPN and the masses enabled this buffoon for so long to this point where he’s got all this cache.

Growing older, shrinking in mass but louder in volume and suit coordination. Chump got the ego now that’ll fit Andre The Giant better. The lil’ idiot really sniffing his own salts now.

They offered him a mil more than Mcafee. But I guess yesterday’s price isn’t today’s price. Clearly a negotiation tactic. But is there anyone else who can pay him besides maybe Spotify?

Sorry not sorry but he aint worth 25m/yr. He aint worth 18-19m/yr.

Yes hes the biggest personality on sports tv across all stations and divisions but hes also the loudest and EYE feel very ignorantly opinionated (which i get, its part of his job) . Dude just says whatever he wants nowadays bc he knows he can and not get fired

Yeah but who is bigger? Just upstarts like Shannon and Pat who big brothers thanks to them being on ESPN.

Is he a needle mover like the two above or Joe Rogan? I dunno. But can ESPN afford to find out?

ESPN has put themselves in a corner

They had legit personalities that could stand on their own and carry a following outside of sports

But they focused all of their programming around SAS not looking at the numerous examples of people who jumped to fox sports/fs1.. skip being a perfect example

For example at 1 point espn radio was lebatard first thing in the morning, SVP with russilo and then bomani late afternoon

Hell I wonder how much having Troy and buck covering Monday night football actually moves the needle.. I’d rather have them than other options espn has used.. but I also wonder how well the nfl live crew (sans any iteration with keyshawn) would do given that same platform

Sorry not sorry but he aint worth 25m/yr. He aint worth 18-19m/yr.

Yes hes the biggest personality on sports tv across all stations and divisions but hes also the loudest and EYE feel very ignorantly opinionated (which i get, its part of his job) . Dude just says whatever he wants nowadays bc he knows he can and not get fired

How much does Troy Aikman make and how much does he work a year?

So yes, Stephen A is worth that much.

Last edited:
They hinged so much on Stephen A being their biggest personality across multiple time slots, not paying him now would kinda be their death knell for now outside of Pat Mcafee. And he's already getting paid without the Stephen A track.

Back
Top Bottom