STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

Yup, I'm trying to lose body fat. I normally just try to eat a bowl of cheerios or oatmeal for breakfast and lunch but I try to eat a normal dinner (chicken, rice, etc.)
I'll try and ease up on the whey protein.
I'll definitely try to get my diet on whole foods and such. It's just difficult to eat on the go or when you're schedule is busy.
tired.gif

Will do, good sir. I appreciate all the help guys. Would it be advisable to cut my calories in order to lose fat as opposed to eating a 2,000 calorie diet due to my weight lifting?
Lastly,
do you guys have any workout suggestions in order to tone my body?
-Drew
Having a 2,000 calorie diet and simply weight lifting would already put you at a calorie deficit (someone correct me if im wrong).

I read somewhere our bodies burn 2,000 just doing everyday activities. Weightlifting adds to that count. If you were taking exactly 2,000 calories, weightlifting and gaining weight, you probably werent taking in only 2,000 calories.

You're on point about the 2000 calorie range. Thats what Ive been taking in during my cut (down 10lbs) and I lift 4x a week with light cardio on rest days.

^ Yes, go on a calorie deficit but take in 1g-1.5g of protein per lb of lean muscle mass. You really won't get bigger but you will lose fat weight. Find out your TDEE and reduce it to 80-90% of that number.
As for eating on the go...if you have time to be on NT, you have time to eat healthy. Just keeping it real.
---
Deadlifts today have my legs feeling so good :pimp: Embrace the burn.

:lol:

You have a point. Cool tip on TDEE man. I never knew about that.

High Reps, Lower weight.
Try 15-18 reps instead of 8-10
Isolation exercises for each muscle group

Isolation workouts actually work better for my case? I keep hearing that I should always stick to compound workouts?

Having a 2,000 calorie diet and simply weight lifting would already put you at a calorie deficit (someone correct me if im wrong).

I read somewhere our bodies burn 2,000 just doing everyday activities. Weightlifting adds to that count. If you were taking exactly 2,000 calories, weightlifting and gaining weight, you probably werent taking in only 2,000 calories.

You're on point about the 2000 calorie range. Thats what Ive been taking in during my cut (down 10lbs) and I lift 4x a week with light cardio on rest days.

I actually started counting my calories today. Do you guys use any apps for that? I DL'd Lose It from the itunes store and seems to be convenient.

-Drew

Use MyFitnessPal, I've been using it for three weeks, its awesome because it has mostly everything, as well as user submitted items. It's leaps and bounds over any other I've used.

I dont know if ive said it in one of the versions of this thread or not, but I hate the word tone. I understand its connotation and context in which its used, but I still hate the term.

Its not 2000 for everyone, but the concept is correct. If X calories is what your body needs to function and someone consumes that many calories in addition to exercising theyll be in a deficit.

^ Yes, go on a calorie deficit but take in 1g-1.5g of protein per lb of lean muscle mass. You really won't get bigger but you will lose fat weight. Find out your TDEE and reduce it to 80-90% of that number.
As for eating on the go...if you have time to be on NT, you have time to eat healthy. Just keeping it real.
---

Its certainly debatable, but personally I think 1-1.5 g of protein is a bit much, especially in this case. Im glad you mentioned that its per pound of lean mass. Unfortunatley, a lot of people dont know how much lean muscle mass they have and assume its per total pound of body weight.

I think the ratio is closer to .5g per lb of lean muscle mass.

High Reps, Lower weight.

I'm not sure a lot of reps in isolation exercises is the best idea.

I dont know if ive said it in one of the versions of this thread or not, but I hate the word tone. I understand its connotation and context in which its used, but I still hate the term.
Its not 2000 for everyone, but the concept is correct. If X calories is what your body needs to function and someone consumes that many calories in addition to exercising theyll be in a deficit.
Its certainly debatable, but personally I think 1-1.5 g of protein is a bit much, especially in this case. Im glad you mentioned that its per pound of lean mass. Unfortunatley, a lot of people dont know how much lean muscle mass they have and assume its per total pound of body weight.

When people say they want to "Tone up" isolation and high reps r always the best way to go..ur not tryin to build muscle so goin ham with heavy weight wouldnt be needed..its mostly females that say they wanna tone up anyway but isolation bis and tris r killer on ur arms and after doin a few sets yull feel super ripped..

When people say they want to "Tone up" isolation and high reps r always the best way to go..ur not tryin to build muscle so goin ham with heavy weight wouldnt be needed..its mostly females that say they wanna tone up anyway but isolation bis and tris r killer on ur arms and after doin a few sets yull feel super ripped..

Define tone up.

Oh, well 2,000 for the "average" person. But yeah it all depends on your body type, activity level, what you do on a daily basis, etc. Body builders, athletes, etc need a lot more calories than the average person. Olympic athletes probably eat TONS of food a day and can still maintain weight just cause their training is so intense.

^Yeah, "tone" is getting more definition of what you already have (getting them cuts and rips) which you get from higher reps. Unfortunately for me, my arms have always been lacking- i need to do some higher weight and even less reps to try and add a little more bulk, and then try to get some more cuts. I'm happy with everything else (well, shoulders need a little more too)

Shredding bf is mostly from a good diet, you don't necessarily need to use a higher rep range with your exercises.

And stop calling it "cuts and rips".

Last edited:
Need to lose weight but can't stand cardio. Been doing HIIT on the treadmill alternating between walking and running. 2 miles in 20 minutes each time after work. Getting kind of too bulky for my liking.

^

Thats all ive been doing and ive lost 15lbs. I kinda enjoy running now, I feel great after. That first mile sucks though, I dont feel like I get my groove til about a mile in.

What are you guys thoughts on Fat Burners?

I`m not an expert lifter,

Right now I`m doing Starting Strength, and Cutting Calories.

i started working out everyday for about 1-2 hours in end of may and stopped like mid july and lost 18 pounds by only eating fruit as much as i wanted and drinking water cut out all junk anything...yea its sad its not healthy to lose alot of weight within a short period of time but now i dont exercise as much because of work and eat what i want just not crazy and i havent put on any crazy pounds....bust your butt diet and workout good and when your at where you want to me just maintain your weight by working out here and there and enjoying food

i started working out everyday for about 1-2 hours in end of may and stopped like mid july and lost 18 pounds by only eating fruit as much as i wanted and drinking water cut out all junk anything...yea its sad its not healthy to lose alot of weight within a short period of time but now i dont exercise as much because of work and eat what i want just not crazy and i havent put on any crazy pounds....bust your butt diet and workout good and when your at where you want to me just maintain your weight by working out here and there and enjoying food
End of May, middle of July..thats ill say, 7 weeks? 2 lbs a week, 14lbs, you lost 18lbs. Depending how much you were overweight to begin with, I dont think thats unhealthy at all.

Fat burners do help but they're not necessary. A strict diet will do the same as fat burners and will leave you with more money in your pockets.

---

:lol:

You have a point. Cool tip on TDEE man. I never knew about that.

High Reps, Lower weight.

Isolation workouts actually work better for my case? I keep hearing that I should always stick to compound workouts?

I actually started counting my calories today. Do you guys use any apps for that? I DL'd Lose It from the itunes store and seems to be convenient.

-Drew

Compound exercises are what you need now, Starting Strength is a good start for that. That guy that told you to isolate muscles claims to be a body builder. Isolating muscles is more for "advanced" people when it comes to weight lifting.

As for apps, I use Calorie Counter. I used to use MyFitnessPal but I just didn't like it.

---

High Reps, Lower weight.

I'm not sure a lot of reps in isolation exercises is the best idea.

I'm not truly sure on the #g of protein per lb of lean muscle mass myself so I may be wrong. I was just reading that off bb.com when I was researching how I was going to lose weight and such.

As for calculating lean muscle mass, it's easy as long as you know your body fat percentage. That's the biggest key factor imo.

I highly highly recommend HIIT. I've been doing it consistently for the past 2 weeks and my body has responded very well. I like doing the stairmaster 3-4 times a week. About 10 minutes on days I lift and 15-20 minutes on my rest days. From what I've read, HIIT will raise your metabolism and help preserve muscle mass compared to Low Intensity Cardio. Here's a good article on it. http://www.simplyshredded.com/cardi...dio-vs-low-intensity-steady-state-cardio.html

Fat burners do help but they're not necessary. A strict diet will do the same as fat burners and will leave you with more money in your pockets.
Compound exercises are what you need now, Starting Strength is a good start for that. That guy that told you to isolate muscles claims to be a body builder. Isolating muscles is more for "advanced" people when it comes to weight lifting.
As for apps, I use Calorie Counter. I used to use MyFitnessPal but I just didn't like it.
I'm not truly sure on the #g of protein per lb of lean muscle mass myself so I may be wrong. I was just reading that off bb.com when I was researching how I was going to lose weight and such.
As for calculating lean muscle mass, it's easy as long as you know your body fat percentage. That's the biggest key factor imo.

Yeah, but the difficult part is getting an accurate body fat percentage. Considering most of the most accessible methods are the least accurate, its still a difficult task. Theres a variation of 4-6 % depending on the method being used.

^

Yeah im interested in muscle pharm as well. They have this recovery drink that I would like to try out.

On another note, a month and a half ago I went from running 0 miles a week to consistently pulling 10 mile weeks. I think its finally taking a toll on my weight lifting and overall workouts. I just feel completely exhausted midway through my workouts. I push on, and still do my 2-3 miles on the treadmill after. Today, I was on the treadmill for about a half mile and I said screw it. Felt like crap that I coudnt finish, but im trying to listen to my body. Shin splints arent helping either. Might give myself a 2-3 day rest...

^ Yeah man, try not to do so much cardio and do more HIIT. Instead of doing 1-2 miles runs at a usual pace, start doing sprints for 20-30 seconds, jog, sprint, jog, etc.

Back
Top Bottom