Star Wars Universe Thread: May The 4th Be With You

Did you like The Last Jedi?

• Yes

Votes: 68 71.6%
  • Yes

Votes: 27 28.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yeah, they went all out on the visual storytelling with the Han/Kylo scene. You could tell they put a lot of thought and care into that one.

Even though I knew the basic story and didn't avoid spoilers at all, my heart was still racing in the lead-up to that scene. In fact, knowing about it ahead of time probably made my anticipation even greater.

I was able to avoid that spoiler, but deep down, I always knew that was Ford's stipulation to come back but I didn't wanna believe it. I will tell you that the feels were greater the second time around. Especially when I've spent the past week marathoning the OT :wow:

Part of me doesn't even want a solo Solo movie anymore :lol:

His death was too sudden imo.

Like he just came back into the story....should a stuck round for the 2nd one

Story wise? It might have been better, you could have had more Leia and Han, maybe some HAN AND LUKE (DAMN), more Han Solo is always a good thing... but Ford wanted this for awhile, I have to imagine this was part of the deal to get him to come back.

I don't know if I want a Solo movie. I like Lord and Miller who are doing the Solo movie, but I can't imagine anyone else but Ford in that role.

Also, found this on reddit and it's from the visual dictionary which helps explain the current politics of VII

QLGdlDS.jpg

[h1]  [/h1]
[h1]Peace Interrupted[/h1]
After Years of Rebellion, the death of Emperor Palpatine gave the oppressed peoples of the galaxy undeniable evidence that the Empire could be defeated. A longing for freedom and peace drove a great tide of revolution from sector to sector, to the point where a truce - unthinkable at the height of the Galactic Civil War - was signed between the New Republic and the weakenend Empire. As one of its first acts, the restored Senate promptly passed the Military Disarmament Act. Many were convinced that the age of galaxy-wide conflict was over.
[h2]The New Republic[/h2]
Following its great victory against the empire at the Battle of Endor, the Alliance to Restore the Republic rebranded itself as the New Republic, and shortly afterward a peace treaty - the Galactic Concordance - was signed with the remnants of the Empire. Believing that the Empire was no longer a threat, the New Republic turned its attention to reshaping galactic politics.
[h2]The First Order[/h2]
The Galactic Concordance defanged the Empire's ability to wage war, with strict disarmament treaties and punishing reparations. The Old Empire withered away, becoming a remnant of political hardliners locked in a cold war with the New Republic, before eventually breaking away to reform in the Unknown Regions as the myseterious First Order.
[h2]The Resistance[/h2]
The Resistance is a small private force created by Princess Leia Organa to keep watch on the movements of the First Order. Though she petitions the New Republic government for support, she finds the politics of the Senate too slow and too mired in self-interest to be of any help. The New Republic tolerates the Resistance, though it is wary of risking war with the First Order.

Last edited:
WATCH: What if… ‘Star Wars’ Were Directed by Ken Burns?

:lol:

Story wise? It might have been better, you could have had more Leia and Han, maybe some HAN AND LUKE (DAMN), more Han Solo is always a good thing... but Ford wanted this for awhile, I have to imagine this was part of the deal to get him to come back.

I don't know if I want a Solo movie. I like Lord and Miller who are doing the Solo movie, but I can't imagine anyone else but Ford in that role.

Also, found this on reddit and it's from the visual dictionary which helps explain the current politics of VII

QLGdlDS.jpg
[h1] [/h1]

[h1]Peace Interrupted[/h1]

After Years of Rebellion
, the death of Emperor Palpatine gave the oppressed peoples of the galaxy undeniable evidence that the Empire could be defeated. A longing for freedom and peace drove a great tide of revolution from sector to sector, to the point where a truce - unthinkable at the height of the Galactic Civil War - was signed between the New Republic and the weakenend Empire. As one of its first acts, the restored Senate promptly passed the Military Disarmament Act. Many were convinced that the age of galaxy-wide conflict was over.

[h2]The New Republic[/h2]

Following its great victory against the empire at the Battle of Endor, the Alliance to Restore the Republic rebranded itself as the New Republic, and shortly afterward a peace treaty - the Galactic Concordance - was signed with the remnants of the Empire. Believing that the Empire was no longer a threat, the New Republic turned its attention to reshaping galactic politics.

[h2]The First Order[/h2]

The Galactic Concordance defanged the Empire's ability to wage war, with strict disarmament treaties and punishing reparations. The Old Empire withered away, becoming a remnant of political hardliners locked in a cold war with the New Republic, before eventually breaking away to reform in the Unknown Regions as the myseterious First Order.

[h2]The Resistance[/h2]

The Resistance is a small private force created by Princess Leia Organa to keep watch on the movements of the First Order. Though she petitions the New Republic government for support, she finds the politics of the Senate too slow and too mired in self-interest to be of any help. The New Republic tolerates the Resistance, though it is wary of risking war with the First Order.
This sounds exactly like the climate of Europe not wanting another World War as Hitler was clearly gearing up for WWII in Germany minus the resistance part.

It'd be funny if a SW's America version comes out of this conflict in the end with a cold war with SW's version of Russia on it's way :lol:

Last edited:
I think the "rushed" knowledge of the force for Rey will make more sense as the series moves along and we get an understanding about her background and where she came from.

They left a lot to be determined. But that scene on the bridge :frown:  

I knew it was coming once Han said Chewy liked Rey :lol:

Knew it was coming when the pirates told Han he had no one left in the galaxy to swindle.

Here's a pretty solid re-make of the opening crawl (w/ the official track from the movie). Some of the typeface is a little wonky, but otherwise it's not bad.

BTW, when the crawl began, I immediately noticed that the title typeface is different (albeit slightly) from other titles in the saga. I've got an advertising/marketing background and so I picked up on that real quick and had a good laugh at myself for noticing such a small change while I'm sitting there beholding Episode 7 in all its glory :rofl: :rofl:

Last edited by a moderator:
What an amazing job by JJ Abrams and Disney. My goodness this film was great.

I LOVED the fact my favorite SW character, Han Solo, played a large role in this film. (The moment he appeared on screen, I geeked out and had the biggest smile)

I thought the new characters were well written. I like Poe's character, when I didn't really expect a lot out of him. He has that cocky/confidence to him that reminded me of Han, but he was legit. Finn, I thought was written as comic relief. But I liked how his story connected everyone else. (His interactions with BB-8 were hilarious, especially the 'thumbs up' scene 
laugh.gif
) Rey was dope. My wife kept telling me she reminded her of a younger Keira Knightley, and I could see it. So glad, that she was the 'surprise' in the film. I didn't see that coming.

First Order looks a lot more powerful than the Empire. That weapon they used was insane.

Curious to see if the future films will explain Snoke's background and how he got that scar on his forehead. 

I enjoyed Kylo Ren. His tantrums reminded me of Anakin, but to see him be able to use the Force and stop then laser bullet. AMAZING.

I also loved how Abrams showed their bodies being held by the force.
Very sad with what happened to Han. I'm sure some of you guys, actually knew prior to watching the film, but when the scene with him and Kylo began, I didn't want to believe it was coming.
I loved how Abrams didn't have any music during their dialogue and their sole focus was about their relationship and how much Han wanted to help his son. 

The moment he was stabbed, my jaw dropped and I teared. I was so shook by what happened and I was still in shock when Kylo and Finn began fighting.

F&*K you, Kylo! You killed my favorite character!!!
I honestly thought Luke was going to have a larger role than what he had in the film, but you know, that's okay. Just the opportunity to see him on screen is all that matters.

I hope Maz returns in the next film to explain how she got a hold of Luke's lightsaber.

I'll read a couple of pages back to see your guys' input. 

I loved this movie. Now I hope to watch this movie in IMAX.

The moment he was stabbed, my jaw dropped and I teared. I was so shook by what happened and I was still in shock when Kylo and Finn began fighting.
The moment he walked onto the bridge... 
It was an incredible combination of emotions... the
eek.gif
from the stabbing... then the
frown.gif
from Chewie's scream... 

The moment he walked onto the bridge... 
It was an incredible combination of emotions... the :wow: from the stabbing... then the :frown: from Chewie's scream... 
Cherie was so sad. :frown:  When he was the only one flying the Falcon|I View media item 1837575

As soon as he said "BENNN!" I knew he was gone. The old man Ben Kenobi died in a similar fashion.

Last edited:
Also, what happened to the force being in balance? So the prophecy didn't quite reach fulfillment?

Just because it was balanced doesn't mean it stayed balanced.
Once Luke went in to hiding I bet he no longer was the guy to fulfill the prophecy.

This whole chosen one thing has been going in the movies for the span of 50 years in the story now. So it's quite possible neither Anakin or Luke were the chosen ones. Sort of like when ppl keep predicting the end of the world dates and then it doesn't happen and then a new one is "calculated" so we'll keep being introduced to ppl who could be the chosen one.

Anyway, what I want backs the Jedi council though.

Last edited:
Also, what happened to the force being in balance? So the prophecy didn't quite reach fulfillment?

Once Luke went in to hiding I bet he no longer was the guy to fulfill the prophecy.

This whole chosen one thing has been going in the movies for the span of 50 years in the story now. So it's quite possible neither Anakin or Luke were the chosen ones. Sort of like when ppl keep predicting the end of the world dates and then it doesn't happen and then a new one is "calculated" so we'll keep being introduced to ppl who could be the chosen one.

Anakin "fulfilled it" in Episode VI.

The prophecy of the Chosen One was a Jedi legend that foretold the coming of a being who would bring balance to the Force. In the decades before the Clone Wars, the Chosen One was born in the form of Anakin Skywalker, who was said to have been conceived by the midi-chlorians.[1] Skywalker brought balance to the Force when he finally killed The Emperor to save his own son during the battle of Endor.

- http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Chosen_One

That was bringing balance to the force?

Could've fooled me.

The problems I see is the force allows for a dark side, through anger and fear dark side users became the Sith. I'm not gonna get in to the books that are no longer canon but what is it you have to become a Jedi first and then go to the dark side which allows you to keep using the force? Balance to the force the whole time was about eradicating evil?

Cuz by the end of RotJ if that was Anakin bringing balance to the force it sounds like what really went down is that over decades it was a slow wiping out of the Sith and Jedi until there was only one Jedi master left.

Then Luke ****** it up by training a whole academy which starts the cycle all over again. He should've stuck to the rule of two and leave all other force sensitive ppl to figure it out on their own or not but by the end of RotJ he didn't even know much about the Jedi historically so I can see how he messed up. Yoda and Obi-Wan didn't prepare him for any of that.

Last edited:

My theory is that its the skywalker family that keeps the force in balance

first 3 movies: Jedi are in power, people think the sith are dead. A skywalker destroys the jedi and power shifts to the dark side

next 3 movies: Sith are in power, people think the jedi are dead, A skywalker destroys the sith and power shifts to the light side

Final 3 movies: even playing field, each side has one master and one young skywalker kid with lots of potential. technically the force is currently balanced but this story is about which side takes control

Back
Top Bottom