St. Johns Red Storm: How far away are we?

Sure Norm has done a bad job, and the team isnt showing alot of promise right now but there is more to losing than the coach. This team isnt hungry. JustinBurrell is playing like a scrub, he has had 2 good games all year and he just doesnt seem like hes ready for the big east. On the other hand Sean Evans, ParisHorne and DJ Kennedy are playing great, and Quincy looked good against NOVA but this team just makes me angry when i watch them

Dwight Burke ? cool .

Dwight , why didn't you commit to SJU ? It would be cool to know your thinking . Some cats just wanna go away to school , were you offered a schoolie ?

If Lance does come here do you put Lance at the 1 and bring Malik off the bench?

my rotation if he does comes is

PG - Lance Stephenson
SG - Paris Horne
SF - DJ Kennedy
PF - Justin Burrell
C - Sean Evans

Sure Norm has done a bad job, and the team isnt showing alot of promise right now but there is more to losing than the coach. This team isnt hungry. Justin Burrell is playing like a scrub, he has had 2 good games all year and he just doesnt seem like hes ready for the big east. On the other hand Sean Evans, Paris Horne and DJ Kennedy are playing great, and Quincy looked good against NOVA but this team just makes me angry when i watch them
WHAT ?!? If your players don't play for you and they're not hungry ... whose fault is that ? THE COACHES . That`s when you know itwon't work , when the players have given up , which has already happended several times this yr .

They never dump the ball down low into Justin and when they do he is doubled cuz St.John`s doesn' t have one shooter on the roster .. Even without hisinury you can see he has regressed . Paris is playing well , I agree BUT GREAT??? come on , that`s laughable . DJ Kennedy is hard nosed and leaves it allout on the court but he is not a Big East starter , he would be coming off the bench on almost all The Big East teams . Sean Evans has shown improvement ,agreed .

Originally Posted by NO ESCAPIN THIS

Dwight Burke ? cool .

Dwight , why didn't you commit to SJU ? It would be cool to know your thinking . Some cats just wanna go away to school , were you offered a schoolie ?
Thanks for the clarification allen.

I originally signed with east carolina when i wast at St bend until coach Herrion was fired. I was getting recruited by at least 30 schools and a few big eastteams at the time, and St Johns showed interest but wasn't really heavily recruiting and would've probably offered me a scholarship had i waited. Manysaid i kinda rushed into signing with East Carolina, which left a lot of teams including st johns to stop recruiting me at the time. Honestly it all came downto the program and the coaches. I felt st johns wasn't the right fit and didn't like the direction they were going. Keep in mind it wasn't that long ago from that scandal and they were on a 2 yr probation i believe. I wouldve loved to play at home at MSG, they didn't try to pursue me as hard.Marquette then offered me a scholarship in the spring, i loved what quette had to offer and fell in love with the staff and coach crean and then signed withthem. I see some promise with the program, and Paris Horne is a guy i try to keep in touch with here and there. If you guys can get Lance that will be a goodstart., but i agree Norm isnt the right coach. I always thought Mark Jackson would be a great fit for the team, and it starts with good recruiting and show tothe recruits you really care and interested, I never felt that from this program.

Originally Posted by venom lyrix

If Lance does come here do you put Lance at the 1 and bring Malik off the bench?

PG - Lance Stephenson
SG - Paris Horne
SF - DJ Kennedy
PF - Justin Burrell
C - Sean Evans
And just think if they give Mase a redshirt for this year, which he should get since he only played in 3 games. Either Horne or Kennedywouldn't be bad as a 6th man.

Good insight J Dot....u made the right choice in NOT going to SJU...a lot of dudes who signed under Norm, have left the program for one reason or another....Idon't think that's any coincidence.

Fede DPT wrote:

I just got upset because I look at UCONN and just look at all the kids from the NYC area and
smh.gif

There's no way Calhoun recruits like he does without $ (Rudy Gay).
grin.gif

Originally Posted by true 3 blue

David, we also signed Dwight Hardy.

Yes we did, who are you and Malik is about 100% according to him last thursday, so i doubt he would be out another 2 weeks...i hope not
Trust me, he's out for 2 more weeks. Btw Justin Burrell was rated top 50 and the number 1 prep player in the nation when he was signed. Nowhas he lived up to that potential? Def. not, but it's no help when he barely touches the ball or has plays ran for him on offense. Our recruiting class fornext year would be pretty good if we didn't have a glut of shooting guards. Expect at least 1 transfer at years end.

Fede DPT wrote:

I just got upset because I look at UCONN and just look at all the kids from the NYC area and
smh.gif

There's no way Calhoun recruits like he does without $ (Rudy Gay).
grin.gif

Cough Doug Wiggins Cough

when Norm was hired i was ok with it. he was a nice guy with a clean reputation and someone who most of us thought was simply a transition man, someone whowould take a beating for a few years while we took our punishment of loss of scholarships and ban from post-season play. and for that AND THAT ONLY he has donea good job of.

he kept us out of the news while the Mike Jarvis mess slowly faded away and he recruited local players who probably should of been playing in the MAC orNEC..but never the Big East. the fact that its five years later and were still in the basement of the Big East, and Norm is still in charge of a program likeSt Johns is a joke. like i said he seems to be a nice guy, and you really cant blame him for not bringing the program back, because he never had a chance andno one expected him too. Norm needs to go.

EDIT: i would love to see Mark Jackson get a shot to coach St Johns, if nothing else hes a SJU legend and a big NBA name who could get the attention top flightrecruits. its worth a shot.

Originally Posted by RockyBalboa25

PG - Lance Stephenson
SG - Paris Horne
SF - DJ Kennedy
PF - Justin Burrell
C - Sean Evans
And just think if they give Mase a redshirt for this year, which he should get since he only played in 3 games. Either Horne or Kennedy wouldn't be bad as a 6th man.

its already confirmed he will be red shirted and coming back next year

Btw Justin Burrell was rated top 50 and the number 1 prep player in the nation when he was signed
He was top 100, but like you said he was a Prep Player , not a 4 yr HS senior .

Rob Thomas was also a beast out of Prep School Top 100 , he did win Co-MVP at ABCD ( i think it was that camp ) with OJ Mayo at one time. He also hadqualifying problems and didn't get onto the roster til last year , then suffered a devestating knee injury . Derwin Kitchen was another Norm recruit butdidn't qualify , now he's the starting pg @ FSU . The Doug Wiggins situtaion still hurts , Calhoun is a piece of garbage .

Norm , does run a clean program , no more smoking trees , going nuts behind the scenes , BUT the results and players are obviously not there . Dude iscompeting with mid major programs for recruits ..SMH and can't coach a lick .I went to SJU during the Artest , Postell , Bootsy , Barkley and then MarcusHatten days (good times) . Jarvis was a fraud and ruined the program locally but the slate should be clean by now . Caliparri was interested in the job andwould've taken it before he went to Memphis had it not been for some agendas within the Administration and Coaching Committee ( Ron Rutledge , LouCarnesceca ) that didn't want him here . Imagine the Garden and Carnaseca Arena rocking nowadays as a Top 10 program , it could've happended !

I originally signed with east carolina when i wast at St bend until coach Herrion was fired. I was getting recruited by at least 30 schools and a few big east teams at the time, and St Johns showed interest but wasn't really heavily recruiting and would've probably offered me a scholarship had i waited. Many said i kinda rushed into signing with East Carolina, which left a lot of teams including st johns to stop recruiting me at the time. Honestly it all came down to the program and the coaches. I felt st johns wasn't the right fit and didn't like the direction they were going. Keep in mind it wasn't that long ago from that scandal and they were on a 2 yr probation i believe. I wouldve loved to play at home at MSG, they didn't try to pursue me as hard. Marquette then offered me a scholarship in the spring, i loved what quette had to offer and fell in love with the staff and coach crean and then signed with them. I see some promise with the program, and Paris Horne is a guy i try to keep in touch with here and there. If you guys can get Lance that will be a good start., but i agree Norm isnt the right coach. I always thought Mark Jackson would be a great fit for the team, and it starts with good recruiting and show to the recruits you really care and interested, I never felt that from this program.

Good looks on sharing the info . Yes , the school was on a 2yr probabtion at that time thanx to Mr. Jarvis . I'm pretty sure when Norm camein they didn't have too many schoolies to offer and that`s why you didn't feel they showed they cared enough (plus he's in over his head) . Thestaff is out there recruiting, I can tell you that first hand, but nothing is changing. Mark Jackson is definitley someone they should look into , agreed .

IF Norm is in fact retained at the end of the year, he needs to make serious adjustments to his coaching staff. He has a bunch of shoemakers out there whicharen't giving him any help. The biggest mistake Norm has made so far is not giving Kenny Anderson a spot on his staff.

They need someone to teach the big kids how to play down low, at a big east level...call up Patrick Ewing

SJU might get a commitment from Davontay Grace, 6'1 Soph from Jefferson High out of BK. I never seen him play but rumors has it that he basically a JamalCrawford-type. Not in the athelitc build type, but moreso in terms of off-balance shots, pull-up threes, hot/cold streaks, over-dribbling, etc. But all thoseproblems can be fixed, so if dude hits his potential this is actually a good recruit for SJU.

St. John's has offered scholarships to a pair of Thomas Jefferson standouts, 6-foot-6 junior forward Joel "Air Jamaica" Wright and 6-1 sophomore guard Davontay Grace.

"They offered Joel and Davontay," Jefferson coach Lawrence Pollard said Wednesday. "I think Davontay is going to go there. He likes it. I think he wants to play for Norm [Roberts]. He likes it there."

As for Wright, he holds offers from St. John's, Providence, West Virginia, Central Florida and Fordham.

"Providence is putting the fullcourt press on him," Pollard said. "Fordham is putting the fullcourt press on him. He wants to commit soon."

Wright has more than 1,500 career points and is closing in on 1,000 rebounds.

www.zagsblog.com- Very Good Source for Tri-State news in terms of high school recruits.

so let me get this straight. a kid that is going to be 1 and done will turn St. Johns around?

I really feel bad for Showtime. He comes by all the time in the summer to train, really cool dude. Hopefully he could make it overseas eventually. He'splaying up in Albany now.

Back
Top Bottom