St. Johns Basketball Appreciation Post

Any New York cat can remember how many great players St. Johns had in the 90's. Omar Cook, Erick Barkley, Felipe Lopez, Lavar Postell, Marcus Hatton andthe list goes on. I really miss the days of watching them on TV. It sucks that they are not a big national program anymore. I don't understand why. Iknow Mike Jarvis left and they had the whole scandel with Elijah Ingram and the rest of those goons but who would not want to play college basketball in NewYork City? I am just waiting for some major player to commit to St. Johns on some OJ Mayo tip, coming out of nowhere. I know they are not even in the picturebut I really hope they decide to go hard for Stephenson and have the NY kid stay in NY. Cuz once Stephenson goes more will follow.

Man-Hattem

Omar Cook (Fav college pg ever)

Erick Barkley

Lavar

Ron Artest

Chris Mullin

Ant Glover

Mark Jackson

Malik Sealy (RIP)

Willie Shaw (
laugh.gif
)

Remember he TORCHED Duke that one year up MSG.
pimp.gif

smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif

[font=helvetica,arial]Mad Hatten[/font]
[h3]St. John's senior sinks FT with no time left to beat Duke[/h3][font=helvetica,arial]Posted: Sunday March 02, 2003 2:52 PM[/font]
[font=helvetica,arial]Updated: Sunday March 02, 2003 6:02 PM[/font]
[table][tr][td] [/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][td]
[/td] [td] [font=helvetica,arial]St. John's guard Marcus Hatten ranks fourth in the Big East in scoring at 21.5 ppg. AP[/font][/td] [/tr][/table]
NEW YORK (AP) -- Marcus Hatten was alone on the court with 19,610 people.

The St. John's senior was fouled with no time left on the clock and he stepped to the free throw line with a chance to give struggling St. John's an upset of No. 6 Duke.

With the sellout crowd at Madison Square Garden silent, Hatten made the free throw to cap a 12-0 run and give the Red Storm a 72-71 victory that snapped a four-game losing streak.

Hatten had 29 points, including 16 of the last 22 for the Red Storm (13-12), who held the Blue Devils scoreless over the final four minutes.

"Hatten was really good," Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski said. "He kept making plays and put himself in a position to get fouled."

When Hatten made the free throw, he jumped into his teammates' arms and started a celebration, something the Red Storm hadn't been able to do in a while.

"No matter how much they got up we never gave up," said Hatten, who didn't even bother with the second free throw.

"This has been an up-and-down season with a lot on the downside, but we never quit on each other and this win means a lot to us going to the end of the season and the Big East tournament. At a time when it seemed like everybody was counting us out and not thinking we could stay within 15 points of this team, we stuck together."

Duke (20-5) had the ball with the score tied and 30 seconds to play after Hatten missed a jumper. The Blue Devils did not call a timeout, running their offense to try for a possible game-winning attempt.

But Hatten stole the ball from Daniel Ewing near midcourt and went to the basket, getting fouled by Ewing as the buzzer sounded.

"They had run the same play the last 10 minutes of the game and I had done a terrible job against it," Hatten said. "This time I just anticipated, to not let him get to the screen, and I was able to move my feet and stay in front of him without the referee calling a foul. The ball was just there, and I stuck my hand in there and came out with a pot of gold."

Ewing said he and Chris Duhon were just exchanging the ball at the top of the key.

"I thought I got fouled, but the referee didn't see it," Ewing said. "But I had to make a play, fouled him and he made the free throw. Once I fouled him it was all up to him."

The Red Storm had lost seven of nine overall and were 1-5 in their last six home games. They trailed 71-60 with 4:05 left when Duke's Dahntay Jones, who had 23 points, made one free throw.

Hatten and fellow senior Anthony Glover took over, scoring all but one of the points in the game-closing run. Each had his only 3-pointer of the game in the burst. Glover's made it 71-70 with 1:51 left and was just his fourth of the season, 12th of his career.

Kyle Cuffe made one free throw with 1:30 left to tie it at 70. Duhon missed on a drive with just under a minute left, and Glover grabbed the rebound. Hatten missed a jumper with 40 seconds left, but Glover got the rebound -- only to have Hatten miss the jumper that set the stage for the wild ending.

Glover and Cuffe each had 12 points for St. John's, which lost 97-55 to Duke last season.

Cuffe had 12 rebounds and Grady Reynolds added 10 as the Red Storm finished with a 41-34 advantage on the boards.

"I'm just glad the kids went out and played," St. John's coach Mike Jarvis said. "They played for the entire game. If you do that, sometimes you get the bounces and even maybe a call here or there. It's a special day and this was a much deserved, special victory."

Duhon had 15 points for Duke, which had won four straight and six of seven.

"We didn't take care of the ball down the stretch and let them hang around, and it came back to bite us," Ewing said.

The loss snapped Duke's 26-game winning streak over nonconference opponents in the regular season, which dated to a loss to Stanford on Dec. 21, 2000.

"We didn't play nearly as well as we've been playing and certainly a lot of that had to do with the intensity in which they attacked the boards," Krzyzewski said. "They came to play today."

Man, I'll never forget when Ron Ron hit that game-tying 3 at the Garden against Duke, I flipped out. I use to dream of going to SJU to play ball, I grew uphearing about Marc Jackson and Chris Mullin, I use to watch Malik Sealy and them play.

Our problem is that we cant keep NYC kids in NYC. We need a hometown coach that is big time i.e. Rick Pitino would be perfect for SJU he recruits NYC kidsanyway. No way Stephenson come to SJU, alot of NYC kids want to get away from NYC also.

One of my favorites....

52260210.jpg

Damn those jerseys go hard.

13's
pimp.gif

Where the hell is Willie Shaw man? He just VANISHED.

Hatten is from Bawl-a-more and he comes over to DC and plays @ The Goodman Summer League. So I know he is alive at least.

Remember he TORCHED Duke that one year up MSG.
pimp.gif

Son...I AM ALL OVER THIS THREAD IN A LIL BIT....

I scanned thru, one name that was missing was...

a_stj.jpg

my man Bootsy....even tho they lost, he still dropped 40 on Duke

Omar Cook is one of the best players I have ever seen in a live game. If he would have stayed ONE more year he would have been a for sure lottery pick. He gotbad advice from people around him (including Jarivs) and now he is playing overseas. What he did as a freshman was UNREAL. I remember his first game for SJUvs. Kentucky at MSG. You could tell the kid was special as he led the Red Storm to the win.

ManHatten was dynamic. There is no other way to put it. He carried the team for his 2 years in school. He was the closest player I have seen on the collegiatelevel to Iverson. Goes to show how good Iverson was, in that Hatten (same with SirValiant Brown) never panned out

Where the hell is Willie Shaw man? He just VANISHED.

LOL Willie....he and Hatten got arrested right outside of my apartment back in the day. And that was the beginning of the tough times for the SJU b-ballprogram. Last I heard Shaw was ballin for the Globetrotters for a minute. But he beat some dude up in a bar in Iowa a few years ago...I'll look for thearticle, but I forgot why he was out there....

It's a shame how the Pitt scandal messed up this team beyond belief. Norm has a good class of freshmen out right now, but alumni and others affiliated withthe program want results. Mike Jarvis burned a lot of bridges with people associated with NYC hoops. They are only now trying to re-establish a relationship.The damage that Jarvis did to this program left a lasting effect that we are only now starting to recover from...i'll get in to it more later on

Good Call on Bootsy Thornton doubleJs....I was trying to think of his name for the longest....

I knew it was somebody w/ a ******ed+%*% name....

Oh, lets not forget my man Darryl Hill A.K.A Showtime (those damn knee injuries)

NYC and the Garden is starved for good ball

thankfully I'm not a St. Johns fan
laugh.gif

I still remember as a kid watchin them play in 96 @ the Garden, and AI havin to let the ball roll so the clock woulnd't run while we were behind

And I remember feelin so bad for him, like why are they making him do this
frown.gif
laugh.gif

But my dude Jack Wolfinger had a short stint wtih the Johnnies
pimp.gif
laugh.gif
..and then a cameo with Ron in a Mobb Deep video
roll.gif

646779.jpg

pimp.gif

I really just want St. Johns ball to be real again. We are finally starting to have good Ny prospects over the apst couple years. Sosa, Stephenson, KembaWalker, Ebanks, Curtis Kelly (he is a bum though), Sylven Landsburg . These are cats the johnnies would have gotten back in the day. I know Mason JR. is a nicecat but we are not getting any top recruits. We have one cat this year I forget his name Rivals has him ranked as the 50th best in the class. It is a start atleast.

Oh and St. Johns could be running college ball right now IF...

25353.jpg

bob hurley took the job and has Danny and Bobby as his assistants/recruiters.

Jack Wolfinger

roll.gif
@ Wolfinger....I think he transferred out to Fairfield....

One game that sticks out to me was when SJU played Syracuse at the CD...I have NEVER seen anyone shoot as poorly as Elijah Ingram...I think he was somethinglike 0-13 from 3pt range and only shot 1-15 or so for the whole game....LOL....

Lemme tell you all about Mike Jarvis for a second. This dude was a liar. ESPN did a 2 part series where they followed the SJU hoops team off the court. THisguy Jarvis was saying how he viewed each of his players like they were his own kids. Little did anyone know at the time that Jarvis was nothing more than aself-absorbed, egocentric, liar. He didn't give a rats behind about anyone on that roster other than himself. He thought HE was bigger than NYC hoops, andhe made a point to not really recruit around the city. Like I said before, he burned a lot of bridges in his tenure in Jamaica. He was more interested inplugging his books and his appearances on ESPN. Meanwhile the team was in a downspin out of control. There were arrests and ultimately the scandal at Pitt.This was all under Jarvis' watch. Going back to the recruiting, when Jarvis was eventually fired (I believe he was the first coach in the history of the BEto be fired mid-season) he left the team and its reputation in shambles. There was a time that any major city recruit when asked about what school(s) theyliked, SJU always was mentioned. This was not the case with Jarvis there. I would say at least 1/3 of the guys on his roster towards the end of his second tolast and then his last year, were either kicked off the team or had arrests...Shoot, even "team captain" Sharif Fordham was arrested for cocainepossession shortly after he finished up his senior year. It was a damn mess. Norm had an up-hill battle in not only the recruiting scene, but also inre-establishing some of the bonds and relationships the school had with many people in the city. Norm has been given time to get this team headed in the rightdirection, and it seems like he has a good foundation for which to build off of.

@ Wolfinger....I think he transferred out to Fairfield....
Well, he ended up at Southern Vermont College (D3)..and he couldn't even get minutes there

He definitely always had talent 6'11 and could handle the ball, just a complete headcase

I go to friends house one night, and who the hell do I see sitting on his couch...Jack Wolfinger

Turns out the cops were looking for him that night
laugh.gif

And Jarvis shoulda been counting his blessings everyday that a 7'0 kid from Jamaica ended up at Cambridge Rindge and Latin

I am just waiting for some major player to commit to St. Johns

Almost happened with Lamar Odom.

Can't believe you guys left out Walter Berry and Zendon Hamilton.

how about Lamont Middleton, Charles Minlend, Shawnelle Scott, Derek Brown, David Cain, James Scott, Rowan Barrett, Tyrone Grant

The Johnnies are due for another ELite 8 run (1991, 1999, 200?)

I went when Hatten was attending along with I think his name was Reggie Jessie, and that you skinny kid Michael Shaw.

They did win the NIT or something at the Garden one year and I went with a friend who also attended school there.

It was alright. Girls used to throw themselves at these dudes at school thinking they was going to be the next LeBron.

He definitely always had talent 6'11 and could handle the ball, just a complete headcase

I go to friends house one night, and who the hell do I see sitting on his couch...Jack Wolfinger

Turns out the cops were looking for him that night

LMAO....we used to call him the white Lamar Odom....he was a headcase though...he thought he was better than what he was....he got arrested with some dude onthe UConn B-ball team for weed possession or something along those lines...

I am just waiting for some major player to commit to St. Johns

Darius Miles would have been there as well

Remember that PG class with Cook? There was Talik Brown at UConn and Andre Barrett at Seton Hall...this trio was hyped up beyond belief....

Can't believe you guys left out Walter Berry and Zendon Hamilton.

Good call on that Juan....Malik Sealy, Chris Mullin, Jayson Wiliams, Mark Jackson, Al Maguire, even Bill Wennington....

There is so much histoy with SJU it isn't even funny....we gotta get back to being a winner....I think Gunna's cousin balled there for a lil bit aswell...

I wished they were still on Jordan Brand. I still got all my gear from when I went there....

Wolfinger was a fifth grader in Portland, Ore., when his teacher admonished him for a missing homework assignment. Yesterday, some 10 years later, sitting in adiner on Union Turnpike, having a chocolate shake with a ketchup-sopped egg sandwich, Wolfinger can still recall his answer: "I don't have todo homework. I'm going to the NBA."

When asked how he ate, he says, "Like I said, some things I'm not proud of. There was a Safeway right down the street. Stole most of myfood. Go in there with a big bag. They had no idea. Get me some waffles, some big quarts of orange juice. And hot dogs, the ones with the cheese inthem."

"Jack's image of Jack is that of a basketball player," said Jarvis. "That's what he thinks he is. That's all he thinks he is. Andthat's where the potential tragedy lies. We're letting him keep his scholarship, and we're doing everything we can to help him find the right placeto transfer. We feel for him. But it's going to take an act of God. That's what this kid needs. We tried to show him the real world. But he still seesthe world he wants to see."

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Tough life, and just a shame he never got it

I'm gona have to see what he's up to, at least his brother is being productive at UW

That Uconn player..
It was Marcus Cox, and they were driving Ron's car

Whatever happened to Curtis Johnson the 7'3 300+ kid...felt so bad for him
laugh.gif

Whatever happened to Curtis Johnson the 7'3 300+ kid...felt so bad for him

Curtis Johnson aka. CuJo was one of the nicest people you could ever have met in your life. He's actually a family friend of mine. He and my cousin (whoballed at Norfolk State) grew up together. God Bless curtis, cause he always gave 110%, but he really struggled on the court. He had problems with his feet,and I think it was either his sophomore or junior year, they had to break most of his toes to correct some of the problems. He ended up getting a lot ofminutes after the Pitt scandal because there was no one really left on the team. I know Curtis put up ridiculous #'s in HS, but I really wonder if Jarvisever saw him play in person?

Wolfinger was a fifth grader in Portland, Ore., when his teacher admonished him for a missing homework assignment. Yesterday, some 10 years later, sitting in a diner on Union Turnpike, having a chocolate shake with a ketchup-sopped egg sandwich, Wolfinger can still recall his answer: "I don't have to do homework. I'm going to the NBA."

When asked how he ate, he says, "Like I said, some things I'm not proud of. There was a Safeway right down the street. Stole most of my food. Go in there with a big bag. They had no idea. Get me some waffles, some big quarts of orange juice. And hot dogs, the ones with the cheese in them."

"Jack's image of Jack is that of a basketball player," said Jarvis. "That's what he thinks he is. That's all he thinks he is. And that's where the potential tragedy lies. We're letting him keep his scholarship, and we're doing everything we can to help him find the right place to transfer. We feel for him. But it's going to take an act of God. That's what this kid needs. We tried to show him the real world. But he still sees the world he wants to see."

LMAOOOOOOOOO....that's the funniest thing I have read today

Originally Posted by Fede DPT

Man, I'll never forget when Ron Ron hit that game-tying 3 at the Garden against Duke, I flipped out. I use to dream of going to SJU to play ball, I grew up hearing about Marc Jackson and Chris Mullin, I use to watch Malik Sealy and them play.

Our problem is that we cant keep NYC kids in NYC. We need a hometown coach that is big time i.e. Rick Pitino would be perfect for SJU he recruits NYC kids anyway. No way Stephenson come to SJU, alot of NYC kids want to get away from NYC also.

One of my favorites....

52260210.jpg

Damn those jerseys go hard.

13's
pimp.gif

You guys were great back in the day....but now they have turned to trash. Mason is still hurt.....
grin.gif

Mullen
pimp.gif

Jarvis #+!*%% us up pretty bad

But i like Norm Roberts and the direction he is taking this team

Daryl hill coulda been a great college player if he wouldnt of got hurt. He led the Big East in scoring as a sophomore. I remember one game that year, healmost single handidly beat Syracuse with McNamara, Warrick, etc.

I LOVE Eugene Lawrence right now hopfully he can make some noise in the Big East this year

And whatever happene to LaMont Hamilton, did he get drafted?

I hate Eugene Lawrence's game so much. Let Malik Booth get some shine.

SJU is def most appreciated.

Because I'm so old school, I take it back to.....

Willie Glass
Walter Berry
Shelton Jones
Chris Mullin
Bill Wennington
M. Jacks.
Ron Rowan
Boo Harvey
Michael Porter

And the rest of them cats you all mentioned.

Had to give props to the OG's. Because that's how I do.....

Back
Top Bottom