(Spoilers) ASOIAF Books Discussion (All Books Read Edition) (Spoilers)

@WorldBreaker, if Stannis is alive, where do you think he goes from where we last saw him ? Army is either dead or gone. Meli has deserted him. Daughter and wife both dead. Story seems to be finished, no ?

Dude, just from a story telling perspective you don't build up Melisandre and Stannis's stories to end it in a yadda yadda battle AND THEN kill him off camera. Even Maester Aemon, who died of natural causes died on camera. Stannis's no name footsoldiers all died on camera.

And no we don't even think we hear the sword hit anything. Doesn't it cut away just as Ramsey is stabbing/slashing someone. The show doesn't do cliffhangers for no reason.

Bran's "death" cliff hanger. We know he's not dead. Arya's blindness. We know she's not blind. Arya's dance teacher... See a pattern?

Again, you're basing this off of a camera angle instead of character motive. There's no way Brienne lets Stannis live when she vowed to kill him for 4 seasons.

lol i dont mind being called a fanboy..
I dont take any of this in a malicious way you good. lol cuz I'ma call you stuff right back (if i ever think of anything)

I dont understand how people believe so hard jon will come back, but Stannis will die...
it's like saying you only halfway believe in Melisandre... or even better you want to believe in her for the things that you want done.....

you don't believe her about stannis, but you believe she all of a sudden has the power to bring back jon.

Think that's just where you and I differ @Tdogg.

I believe Jon is Azor Ahai & Stannis isn't.

This is what I thought...And I doubt he'll live the rest of the 2 books in Jon snow. at the end of the day if he doesn't fully die this book he'll die on the 7th book. Everyone as we know now will probably be dead Rickon (as much as I hate to say it) may be the only one to survive as a human/man.

Jon had a complete story in my eyes..
So that's why im not all gun ho for him being alive later. if this whole knights king thing happens in the book something could be possible, but how he going to become a white walker when he's at the castle and melisandre is right there. so I'll personally throw that theory of him being a white walker out.

Yeah we're definitely on the opposite of the spectrum man. And we can certainly go back & forth until Season 6 premieres in 2016 or when TWoW releases in 2020. Either or, neither of us will change our opinions. So let's just agree to disagree.

Anywho,

Am I the only one that believes we'll get Season 6 way before TWoW ?

I don't think book 6 drops until fall 2016, maybe Oct/Nov time.

@WorldBreaker, if Stannis is alive, where do you think he goes from where we last saw him ? Army is either dead or gone. Meli has deserted him. Daughter and wife both dead. Story seems to be finished, no ?
Again, you're basing this off of a camera angle instead of character motive. There's no way Brienne lets Stannis live when she vowed to kill him for 4 seasons.
Think that's just where you and I differ @Tdogg.

I believe Jon is Azor Ahai & Stannis isn't.
Yeah we're definitely on the opposite of the spectrum man. And we can certainly go back & forth until Season 6 premieres in 2016 or when TWoW releases in 2020. Either or, neither of us will change our opinions. So let's just agree to disagree.

Anywho,

Am I the only one that believes we'll get Season 6 way before TWoW ?

I don't think book 6 drops until fall 2016, maybe Oct/Nov time.

all the red priest seem to be with the ones they believe to have power....
Jon has never been hiding, he may have never been in a position of King's power but hell neither is the grey joy or others that are spread across.
Jon has also never been hiding, he's been in winterfell and the wall, he could have been found if he was really AZOR

Stannis is still the rightful King, (if you believe that tommen is nothing more than an incest child) so he could go back to the wall, he may not have the love of the wildlings, but he can go there for protection

^^^^@Tdogg I'm not going to go back & forth with you on this man.

Instead I'm just going to say what I believe & move on.

I strongly believe R+L=J
I believe Jon is the son(g) of ice and fire
I believe Dany/Tyrion/Jon have an intricate role to play in saving the realm.
I also believe Aerys + Joanna = Tyrion. A long shot I know, but hey, call it a hunch I have.
I don't believe Stannis is the rightful king because Robert was a usurper.
Lastly, I believe Jon will warg into Ghost and Meli will resurrect him.

Now I know you don't believe R+L=J and that's the source of our differences.
We both won't know if we're right or wrong until GRRM finishes book 6. Until then, we will agree to disagree, my friend.

Dude, just from a story telling perspective you don't build up Melisandre and Stannis's stories to end it in a yadda yadda battle AND THEN kill him off camera. Even Maester Aemon, who died of natural causes died on camera. Stannis's no name footsoldiers all died on camera.

And no we don't even think we hear the sword hit anything. Doesn't it cut away just as Ramsey is stabbing/slashing someone. The show doesn't do cliffhangers for no reason.

Bran's "death" cliff hanger. We know he's not dead. Arya's blindness. We know she's not blind. Arya's dance teacher... See a pattern?
You keep saying this and I can't tell if you're trolling or not.

The camera angle is a plot device they've been using LITERALLY since Season 1. If a character doesn't die on camera then either they don't die from what you think they did, or they're still alive.

More examples: Jon Arryn, Rob Baratheon, The Mountain... If you don't see the blow land or the person take their last breath then it's not what it seems.

Name one character whose death was "yada yada"d that actually died.

As for motivations and sudden flips of behavior that are uncharacteristic, would this be the first time we've seen something like that? I mean this is Game of Thrones.

Brienne is a knight. She has honor. You think she'd slink in the woods and wait til Stannis is on his last legs and was just injured in war and 2 v 1 combat which SHE witnessed slinking around in the shadows? She'd be just as bad as him if she lurked then murdered him when his guard was down. Even she would call it cowardly. Nothing about Brienne's character aligns with that behavior. She's not a coward let alone a murderer.

It's more likely she forces him to take the Black now that he's confessed his sins, putting him back at Castle Black.

Last edited:
^ preach brother Nako

we don't have to go back and forth any more Pittman,
heck you share the opinion of the most popular Theories.

I'll say this though. nothing in GOT is what we expected to happen. NOTHING.
and the fact that those theories were the easiest to deduct and come to is what makes me believe them even less.

I still sayF who Jon snow parents are at this point also. like imo I dont think that will shape the story in terms of Iron throne and who deserves what... the common people wouldn't believe it... When this story turned from the iron throne, to essentially saving/shaping the world. his true lineage became less important.
that goes for the theories he's meant to ride a dragon and blah blah (mainly because I think that won't even matter) All that is we know is 100% sure is that he's a stark. (which may not even be 100% considering all we have is Neds word, which I believe)

btw didn't answer this question earlier, but yes I do believe Twow will be out before the season. I think it will come out either like christmas this year or about a month before the season

Last edited:
^^^@Nako

It's funny you saying Brienne would be a coward/murderer if she killed Stannis in that way.
But isn't Stannis a coward/murderer as well, using Black Magic to kill Renly in his tent instead of meeting him in the battlefield.
Nothing about Stannis character aligns with that behavior BUT he still did it. He also burned his daughter to crisp but I guess that's "noble" as well because it's Stannis.

And if he's alive & takes the Black like you wish, he definitely has zero claims to the throne and he's back to square one.

Anywho, we LITERALLY can go back & forth about Stannis being dead or not for a full year.

Just going to say my peace and move on.

I believe Stannis is dead.
I believe Brienne who vowed vengeance for 4 seasons removed his head from his shoulders.
I believe his "do your duty" was his acceptance for his fate.

Brienne should beat him down like she did the hound then do a mortal kombat fatality to finish him. He's a two time kinslayer.

btw didn't answer this question earlier, but yes I do believe Twow will be out before the season. I think it will come out either like christmas this year or about a month before the season

Good luck with that. Clock is ticken on that man GRM.

I hope you're right man but I just feel like GRRM is behind schedule as far as releasing TWoW before S6. That's the reason why he's declined to write scripts for S5 and S6. He's not a fast writer so I doubt he pumps out pages just for the sake of beating S6 to the punch. D&D are already casting and shooting begins next month. S6 coming with or without GRRM.

Much rather read GRRM words first then watch the show but the way it's looking, it'll be the other way around, unfortunately.

Good luck with that. Clock is ticken on that man GRM.
lol ya'll acting like the man is on his death bed, he may be big but no signs of unhealthy-ness.
He'll be aiiiight.

Much rather read GRRM words first then watch the show but the way it's looking, it'll be the other way around, unfortunately.

I've come to the conclusion that if S6 comes before the book im not going to watch S6 til after.. (hopefully i'll be overseas next year so the hysteria won't get to me and I won't be spoiled.)

What the show will have compared to the book i just think was/is/always will be a different entity after season 3 (2 in some eps) but I feel it will taint some of what I've already read and that will probably have me read TWOW a different way. So I'ma keep it pure,
plus I'm usually busy and a slow reader so I know it would take me at least 2-3 weeks to read it.

I also feel the only people who he shares/shared the entire story with are his editors/people he's worked on other ASOIAF books with. like the ones of History of Westeros.
And their writing styles will be very complementary and be able to finish the story if need be.

There was another Author (his name escapes me) that died and someone finished his series, and a lot of people said it was better than what the original Author did. (this is how i feel his editors will do if need be. at least show him justice)

Last edited:
^^^@Tdogg

I would easily skip watching S6 if TWoW is scheduled to release around late April/early May but what happens if TWoW doesn't release until Fall 2016. Can you really hold out from watching S6 even when the season is based off the books ?

The fact that GRRM has allowed the series to potentially surpass the books is ridiculous, honestly.

^^^@Nako

It's funny you saying Brienne would be a coward/murderer if she killed Stannis in that way.
But isn't Stannis a coward/murderer as well, using Black Magic to kill Renly in his tent instead of meeting him in the battlefield.
Nothing about Stannis character aligns with that behavior BUT he still did it. He also burned his daughter to crisp but I guess that's "noble" as well because it's Stannis.

And if he's alive & takes the Black like you wish, he definitely has zero claims to the throne and he's back to square one.

Anywho, we LITERALLY can go back & forth about Stannis being dead or not for a full year.

Just going to say my peace and move on.

I believe Stannis is dead.
I believe Brienne who vowed vengeance for 4 seasons removed his head from his shoulders.
I believe his "do your duty" was his acceptance for his fate.
I don't wish anything man. I'm just showing you why the assumption that Stannis is dead is misguided based on the evidence we have.

Stannis isn't a coward or a sneak, but he also wasn't a kinslayer, a law that he's broken twice now in the show (and that I don't believe he'll break in the book.) Brienne has stayed true to her character's personality. Loyal and honest and true from her first appearance through. 

The only time she slipped out of that persona was in season 3 when she made Cat promise to her that she wouldn't force her oaths to the Starks stop her from getting revenge on Stannis. That is the one out of character action of Brienne the "Oathkeeper". She asked for permission to break her oath if it gave her the chance to kill Stannis. That's not like her and chances are she's not going to follow through with it. Who knows why, but clearly there's a reason this is the one important sword slash in the entire series they've decide to hide from you.

We don't know anything other than

1. We didn't see Brienne kill Stannis or Stannis die and

2. No character has ever died off screen on the show and really been dead or dead in the way you thought. D&D who you often cite made this clear. "We have to show the head come off so there's no ambiguity and it's absolutely clear to the show watchers and readers [who are wise to the tricks.]"

We have to go buy the laws of the medium. GoT has establish time and time and time again, "if you don't see it, don't believe it." It's not me. It's the show.

Last edited:

I hope you're right man but I just feel like GRRM is behind schedule as far as releasing TWoW before S6. That's the reason why he's declined to write scripts for S5 and S6. He's not a fast writer so I doubt he pumps out pages just for the sake of beating S6 to the punch. D&D are already casting and shooting begins next month. S6 coming with or without GRRM.

The actual narrative for TWoW has been done. It's been in the editing/rearranging stages for a while. He said so a ways back I believe and has been adding little tweaks and changes here and there as the process goes. I know he posted "just thought of a great twist!" or something. The problem is his books just take so much time to edit and clean up because literally every little thing, even typos, get taken as clues by fanatics.

Last edited:
^^^@Tdogg

I would easily skip watching S6 if TWoW is scheduled to release around late April/early May but what happens if TWoW doesn't release until Fall 2016. Can you really hold out from watching S6 even when the season is based off the books ?

The fact that GRRM has allowed the series to potentially surpass the books is ridiculous, honestly.
The actual narrative for TWoW has been done. It's been in the editing/rearranging stages for a while. He said so a ways back I believe and has been adding little tweaks and changes here and there as the process goes. I know he posted "just thought of a great twist!" or something. The problem is his books just take so much time to edit and clean up because literally every little thing, even typos, get taken as clues by fanatics.

I could hold out for a few months or even til the BluRay comes out. in like Feb. (2017) if need be. many many shows to catch up on that I know will take me that long.

I assumed what Nako said.. plus IIRC there was something that was like he's working on both books so as soon as Twow comes out I expect ADOS to come out maybe 2-3 years after .

the popularity have people impatient, but when you think about it this series came out almost 20 years ago. I feel for the people who started book 1 from then. so a few extra months year shouldnt be a surprise/hurt anyone.

mainly because we're in this now generation with technology being advanced we think we should have been had it, but he's still human, and aging/ getting more popularity so more places to be things to do.

I see @Tdogg preaching his false prophecies to the Unsullied show watchers.
You're like the Niketalk's own Melisandre. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Just joking.

I could hold out for a few months or even til the BluRay comes out. in like Feb. (2017) if need be. many many shows to catch up on that I know will take me that long.

I assumed what Nako said.. plus IIRC there was something that was like he's working on both books so as soon as Twow comes out I expect ADOS to come out maybe 2-3 years after .

the popularity have people impatient, but when you think about it this series came out almost 20 years ago. I feel for the people who started book 1 from then. so a few extra months year shouldnt be a surprise/hurt anyone.

mainly because we're in this now generation with technology being advanced we think we should have been had it, but he's still human, and aging/ getting more popularity so more places to be things to do.

I don't believe anything said about TWoW's release until I read an official statement from the publisher. GRRM has been notoriously wrong when it comes to predicting when his books will hit shelves. Everything else is heresay.

I wish I could wait almost a full year to watch S6 of GoT but my will power isn't strong enough. Plus I'm DYING to know how the showrunners handle Jon's resurrection. Hell, if or when TWoW releases, the first chapter I'm rushing to read is Jon's or Meli's, whichever one tells us what happens to Jon.

I don't wish anything man. I'm just showing you why the assumption that Stannis is dead is misguided based on the evidence we have.

Stannis isn't a coward or a sneak, but he also wasn't a kinslayer, a law that he's broken twice now in the show (and that I don't believe he'll break in the book.) Brienne has stayed true to her character's personality. Loyal and honest and true from her first appearance through. 

The only time she slipped out of that persona was in season 3 when she made Cat promise to her that she wouldn't force her oaths to the Starks stop her from getting revenge on Stannis. That is the one out of character action of Brienne the "Oathkeeper". She asked for permission to break her oath if it gave her the chance to kill Stannis. That's not like her and chances are she's not going to follow through with it. Who knows why, but clearly there's a reason this is the one important sword slash in the entire series they've decide to hide from you.

We don't know anything other than
1. We didn't see Brienne kill Stannis or Stannis die and
2. No character has ever died off screen on the show and really been dead or dead in the way you thought. D&D who you often cite made this clear. "We have to show the head come off so there's no ambiguity and it's absolutely clear to the show watchers and readers [who are wise to the tricks.]"

We have to go buy the laws of the medium. GoT has establish time and time and time again, "if you don't see it, don't believe it." It's not me. It's the show.

You know my views and I clearly know yours. Let's agree to disagree. We'll see what happens in S6.

Also which other shows does everyone watch ?

I'm looking forward to True Detective S2
I thought S1 was brilliant.

Orphan black is good.
Orange is the new black is good.
Trying to get in to outlander.

I like stories that follow different characters (hence. Asoiaf)

Also reading Robin hobbs. Assasins series

IIRC the book was suppose to come out last year... I feel like he's in the 90's% of being done / editing / publishing.

Last edited:
Theory: there's no one true king, there are like 7. So Mel's blood magic would work with any of their blood. Or, radical theory: anyone's blood, as the faceless men have implied. It's not the blood, it's the sacrifice of life.

Theory: there's no one true king, there are like 7. So Mel's blood magic would work with any of their blood. Or, radical theory: anyone's blood, as the faceless men have implied. It's not the blood, it's the sacrifice of life.

I can believe that.........my only problem is who would be the 7 and what makes a true king...

wouldn't it be more of who has potential magical power... or who Azor resurrected in to?

I can believe that.........my only problem is who would be the 7 and what makes a true king...

wouldn't it be more of who has potential magical power... or who Azor resurrected in to?

But we don't have anything that tells us Azor Ahai was/is actual high born royalty aside from the phrase "the prince that was promised" do we?

The prophecy that they'd come from the targ line? Is that it? (I don't remember a lot from the books cuz I read them in big gaps so please inform me haha)

Last edited:

too long to read all of it.

but he's not spitting out anything different than anyone else has already came up with or said.

and is it just me or do you guys not think the "D&D came up with the answer to who jons mother is" is either BuShi (fill in the blanks) or real and not as easy as Lyanna?

I'm not saying anything against the popular theory but just saying im sure them being like oh Jons mother is Lyanna really got them the show... Everyone who read book 1 probably has guessed (refuse to say figured) it out.

Back
Top Bottom