Speeding Ticket

So NT, I just got a speeding ticket about 20 minutes ago for doing 79 in a 50. I was looking to see if anyone has been in this situation before and could offer some helpful advice. What are my options? What should I expect? I'm in NYC if that matters. Thanks in advance.

How many of these stupid "I got a ticket, WAAAAAH!!!" threads are we going to have? If you search, you'll see about 5003284 other threads of lames like you trying to get out of it. Guess what, if you speed, prepare to pay the fine. If you can't afford it, don't speed. Your options are clearly listed on the ticket you have, either pay the fine or take it to court. There's no magic solution. I look forward to your corny response.

Originally Posted by TheTrapezeSwinger

How many of these stupid "I got a ticket, WAAAAAH!!!" threads are we going to have? If you search, you'll see about 5003284 other threads of lames like you trying to get out of it. Guess what, if you speed, prepare to pay the fine. If you can't afford it, don't speed. Your options are clearly listed on the ticket you have, either pay the fine or take it to court. There's no magic solution. I look forward to your corny response.

You're the man.

Here in CA, the fines are getting quite heavy.

Over the speed limit 1-16MPH: $214, 17-25MPH: $328
Failure to stop at stop-sign: $214
Violation of parking in disabled/bus loading area: $976
Passing by school bus with flashing red lights: $616
Failure to provide insurance: $796 (Subject to change after proof)

Originally Posted by gumbottombandit

why were you doing close to 80 in a 50?
Because it was 2 am, not one car was on the road, I was dead tired from class and running errands and I was on the way back from a friend's house. Besides, it's almost impossible to feel speed in my car so I didn't think that I was going that fast. I do more than that on a regular basis, my daily commute is over 50 miles so I'm on the highway a lot. Luckily, up until this point, I just never got caught. This situation is a little bit of an eye-opener. In my defense, he was hiding behind an overpass 
ohwell.gif

i don't know how NYC laws are but I just got one last month... i'm in MS, but they said I could just sign up for defensive driving and the ticket would be cleared..

Originally Posted by Luong1209

Well the fine is $195 and I'm looking at 6 points added to my license which will in effect raise my insurance rate which is already at a 
sick.gif
 amount right now because I'm 18 with full coverage and have everything in my name without any cosigners since I pay for it.

I got a speeding ticket last month I got it in the mail today traffic school $261 I was going 80 in a 65 on the way to Dave and Busters. Traffic school will take it off my record, I'll probably do that, a $39+ difference from paying for it.

is it really 1 MPH? in FL you can go 1-5 and get a warning. and going 6 over is a ticket i just dont know how much it is
ohwell.gif

i got one for 51 in a 30 in September...my court date is July 8th

you have 30 days to respond...either pay the fine and take the points (
laugh.gif
) or get a lawyer for a flat price of $500 like i did to get your points lowered and then eventually expired (if found guilty in court)...my initial court date was set for jan 28 but after i paid the lawyer he recommended that i push the case back to july 8th to extend the time on the points...in nyc it takes 18 months from the time the ticket was issued for your points to expire...in july its going to be 10 months for me

Originally Posted by VARSITY kid

is it really 1 MPH? in FL you can go 1-5 and get a warning. and going 6 over is a ticket i just dont know how much it is
ohwell.gif
I would assume it won't count, considering you'd have to speed up to switch lanes.

It's getting ridiculous, but that's what you get when we're getting poor.

go to court, most likely the cop wont show anyways and it will get waived off

29 mph over the limit, im sure thats a criminal offense. If this is the case there will be somewhat serious. However I am not familiar with NY laws, check your citation if it is only a civil citation then dont stress it but make sure you learn your lesson. If it is a civil citation you can go to defensive driving school, the ticket as a result will be dismissed. This would still mean that you'd have to pony up roughly $200, but you will avoid points on your licence and keep a clean MVR(therefore your insurance will be unaffected).

Originally Posted by ev209

go to court, most likely the cop wont show anyways and it will get waived off
Not exactly.

In many places, the officer no longer has to be present, only the defendant.

Go to court. Doesnt hurt to try. Unless it was given to you by a state trooper (is so , dont bother).

Damn 6 points added?
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif

I just paid off my last speeding ticket, $328. Try fighting it, maybe they will lessen your fine...

Originally Posted by nyybaseball423

Well the fine is $195 and I'm looking at 6 points added to my license which will in effect raise my insurance rate which is already at a 
sick.gif
 amount right now because I'm 18 with full coverage and have everything in my name without any cosigners since I pay for it.
Not to mention  the Fine and the $300 Driver Responsibility Assessment for getting 6 or more points in a 18 month period.

SMH.

Back
Top Bottom