Someone explain to me why the hell is CANADIAN news giving coverage to the US election?

I was just watching Global and they had a short commercial about how theyre gonna have a special news segment on Monday or Tuesday for the American election.

I mean, yeah it's an important election in an American's eyes, do not get me wrong, but since when have the American press ever given a flying %*@@about Canadian politics?

You gotta understand, it doesn't work both ways. America is an important country, and this election is especially important.

The U.S. President is basically still the leader of the free world, and this is a big-time election for many, many reasons (beyond the obvious).

Trust me, the whole frickin world is buggin' on this election, including us (Canada). And America doesn't care about us. Neither does the rest of theworld, cuz we don't matter.

Don't take it personally. Think of the benefits -- we get all of the best that America has to offer, while flying low under the radar and enjoying a greatcountry. Win-win, no?

America is the strongest and wealthiest country in the world, which also makes it the most important country in the world. America dominates almost everyaspect of a Canadian's life, whether its sports, economics, leisure activities, education, etc. On the other hand, Canadian culture and economics has verylittle impact on Americans.

You must also remember that Canadian politics is like Pluto compared to the US. We only have around 30 million people and 13 provinces+territories. Ourelections last for only one month. On the other hand, the US has 300 million people and 50 states. Their elections started about 2 years ago when candidatessuch as Obama, McCain, Hillary, etc. began their campaigns.

Obama will win !

He will continue the work for Tupac, Martin Luther King Jr and Malcolm X.

This is a moment in history

as said earlier this is probably the most important election in years, on top of that the US is the most important country to Canada as something like 90% ofour trade is with them, we need them
as much as anything else

You'll see how a liberal win in the States effects Canada. I smell lax regulation on free trade and a North American currency on the way. Obama will usherit in saying "There is no way we can save this economy unless we get the Amero going."

More money and less rights for Canadians..You ALREADY know Harper will give Obama a fist pound for that.

How in Christs name is Tupac on any level relevant to MLK, and Malcolm X?!?!?! Dude was a rapper for the love of God. I'm sure Obama is thrilled to beassociated with a criminal.

BrOwNIN is correct regarding the tax regulation to Canada. Typically, the republicans deregulate most things, and the Dems tend to regulate them. This impactsCanada greatly because the US is our businesses (RIM, Oil, Softwood Lumber, Auto Industry [at one time every GM truck in North America was made in Oshawa],Minerals etc.) biggest customer. This is very important when their leaders will control trade and relations with our countries industries (aka our economy).

Rosa Parks SAT.....so Martin Luther King could WALK......Martin Luther King WALKED, so Obama could RUN.....Obama RAN so our children can FLY... Nuff said....

Originally Posted by kaisodre

Rosa Parks SAT.....so Martin Luther King could WALK......Martin Luther King WALKED, so Obama could RUN.....Obama RAN so our children can FLY... Nuff said....
nicely said. Anyways, its history Obama ftw
smile.gif

I swear I got this in an email right before Obama won.
laugh.gif

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by ssgefiestoakagerger

Obama will win !

He will continue the work for Tupac, Martin Luther King Jr and Malcolm X.

This is a moment in history
laugh.gif
@ placing Tupac amongst the likes of Martin Luther King,Malcolm X and Obama. Malcolcm X wasn't a saint either but he definitely reformed himself in his last few years on earth.

Despite being a Democrat and a liberal, Obama's win doesn't exactly mean that Canada and the U.S. will be best buddies again. Obama's purpose willbe to look out for America's best interests, which will involve stepping on a few toes. On the bright side, Obama is said to be a very effectivecommunicator and although Harper is a Conservative, I think we will see an improved Canada-US relationship in the coming years. It'll be interesting to seeif Obama really shuts down Guantanomo Bay, Canada is the only Western country to have an inmate over there and Harper has not made any effort at all to freeOmar Khadr.

The United States, being the super power that they are, have such an influence on the rest of the world over many aspects - financially, politically, and soforth. They have a strong impact over the rest of the world, both negative and positive. Not to mention this is probably one of the most significant electionsin history. It's not a question of being American or not American. This was such a huge even for all people around the world.

...that, and don't forget that there are americans who live in Toronto, too. Such as your's truly
happy.gif

Back
Top Bottom