So who besides me doesn't know how to swim???

frown.gif
I'm 24 years old and I don't know how to swim.  Sad thing is I'm from Guam and lived there for 12 years.  I know a lot of my Jamaican friends don't know how to swim as well.  I'm trying to take some swim lessons but they're all directed towards children.  I want to get SCUBA certified, but learning how to swim is vital.  Any tips or any other non swimmers?

frown.gif
I'm 24 years old and I don't know how to swim.  Sad thing is I'm from Guam and lived there for 12 years.  I know a lot of my Jamaican friends don't know how to swim as well.  I'm trying to take some swim lessons but they're all directed towards children.  I want to get SCUBA certified, but learning how to swim is vital.  Any tips or any other non swimmers?

if u cant swim at least try to tread water, just start by flailing your arms and legs like crazy to stay afloat.

if u cant swim at least try to tread water, just start by flailing your arms and legs like crazy to stay afloat.

Originally Posted by Pohflylice

This and also don't huff and puff while in the water. Repeatedly inhaling and exhaling will keep you from floating properly.

This and also don't huff and puff while in the water. Repeatedly inhaling and exhaling will keep you from floating properly.

practice where your legs can barely reach the ground so you dont panic even though your 24
laugh.gif

idk if this method is going to work for you but it worked on me when i was 8 just doggy paddle till you get used to the whole floating thing and move on from there

practice where your legs can barely reach the ground so you dont panic even though your 24
laugh.gif

idk if this method is going to work for you but it worked on me when i was 8 just doggy paddle till you get used to the whole floating thing and move on from there

I've learned how to swim when I was younger but I haven't touched a swimming pool in nearly ten years, so I probably can't really swim now..

I've learned how to swim when I was younger but I haven't touched a swimming pool in nearly ten years, so I probably can't really swim now..

Swimming just came natural to me. I remember taking lessons but I don't ever recall not knowing how to swim.

Swimming just came natural to me. I remember taking lessons but I don't ever recall not knowing how to swim.

shut up... you'll kill the poor bastard
laugh.gif

Swimming is easy. All you have to do is take a second to use you higher brain function. You're naturally buoyant. That's the kicker. You can ny sink if you try to, and even then it's kinda hard ESPECIALLY if you're fat. I mean really, swimming is so easy. It's just a matter of propelling yourself around your watery surroundings with rhythm and grace. Synching your kicks and strokes can't be that hard, can it? What are you, four? IMO swimming should be taught in kindergarten classes along with reading, coloring in the lines, and other basic +#% human abilities.

All I know is that I knew how.... forgot how for years..... then magically could swim different styles one day
laugh.gif
pimp.gif
. It's just music theory in motion to me.

shut up... you'll kill the poor bastard
laugh.gif

Swimming is easy. All you have to do is take a second to use you higher brain function. You're naturally buoyant. That's the kicker. You can ny sink if you try to, and even then it's kinda hard ESPECIALLY if you're fat. I mean really, swimming is so easy. It's just a matter of propelling yourself around your watery surroundings with rhythm and grace. Synching your kicks and strokes can't be that hard, can it? What are you, four? IMO swimming should be taught in kindergarten classes along with reading, coloring in the lines, and other basic +#% human abilities.

All I know is that I knew how.... forgot how for years..... then magically could swim different styles one day
laugh.gif
pimp.gif
. It's just music theory in motion to me.

Thanks for the advice guys.  I live in South Florida and I haven't been in a pool in 3 years, the community pool is 6 ft deep.  It's too damn cold at the moment.  One of my life goals is to go to Australia's, Great Barrier Reef.

Thanks for the advice guys.  I live in South Florida and I haven't been in a pool in 3 years, the community pool is 6 ft deep.  It's too damn cold at the moment.  One of my life goals is to go to Australia's, Great Barrier Reef.

i barely learned.. last summer to be exact 
ohwell.gif
tired.gif

*props to NTer papageorgeo510 for teaching me how to swim* 
pimp.gif

i barely learned.. last summer to be exact 
ohwell.gif
tired.gif

*props to NTer papageorgeo510 for teaching me how to swim* 
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by humpasaurus rex

RIP
393891044.jpg

Originally Posted by acidicality

Similar to riding a bicycle, swimming is something that once learned is not very easily forgotten... even if it's been years since you've last done it. People who don't know how to swim really should spend some time to learn because it's an essential skill which could save your/someone else's life someday. Also, a weekend life saving course (Heimlich maneuvers, first aid, and basic resuscitation techniques) not could prove valuable someday but overall make you a better person for taking the time to adapt essential skills. 

Originally Posted by humpasaurus rex

RIP
393891044.jpg

Back
Top Bottom