So im getting a puppy and got some questions...NOW W/ PICS

How much will it be for the puppy to get his shots ?

Any tips on healthy food,training, etc. would be appreciated.

Pics when i get back home, im gonna go pick it up soon.

Give it tlc
happy.gif

ah man, It costs A LOT of money for the dog to get all its shots. I suggest you get one from the Humane Society, most of the time, they have their shotsalready. Theres additional shots that the dog will need in the long run though. I have a Pit that I adopted from there and I don't regret doing so
pimp.gif
,one of the best moves I've ever made. I feed my dog Science Diet, it's one of the best out there imo. The training part is the hardest part, you haveto have mad spare time on your hands in order to train it. Trust me, you will get frustrated but don't give up
pimp.gif

Vet I go to is $55 for all the shots at 8 weeks.

There's all kinda training guides online.. kinda depends on which you are willing to do. I think spca.com has some simple guidelines that are good tofollow. And yea be ready for major whining..

Luck be with you tho

Science Diet
I use the same thing for my Chihuahua.

Shots cost a grip, I think mine only has 1 left and its in like 3 months or something like that.

Training them is fun, after awhile they pick it right up.

Its also like havin a baby around your house.

Theyll try to eat anything laying around the house,fit behind the couch, fall downstairs.

lol just gotta keep an eye on them.

What kinda dog is it?

watch the dog whisperer on national geographic channel. it is the best thing you can do for yourself and your dog. learn from caesar milan he is amazing. checkyour listings all dog owners have to watch this

The shots cost a lot. I believe when I get my dog it cost me like 150 for everything. Its worth it though. Theres nothing like a new puppy running aroundhouse. They're so much fun but be ready to protect your clothes because they chew anything they can get their teeth on.

I trained my dog to sit, laydown, shake, dap, high five, speak, command agression and how to sig/howl all by his first year. Basically rewarding him after hedid the said/listed command. Speak was pretty hard, but the singing part was the hardest. I have no idea how he learned, or knows how to do on command, my momtaught him. Anyways, Sit is probably the easiest, followed by lay down. Push his butt down after you say it...repeat...reward...for a few days, he/she shouldget the picture.

it's going to poop and pee everywhere...so be prepared for that

Do NOT give your dog all the shots they recommend, it's ******ed. They're in it to make money. How the hell did dogs live before they all hadvaccinations? They are dogs after all. They're immune systems are pretty amazing.
I know of a few dogs who have had bad reactions to being administered many vaccinations, especially small dogs. Of course its rare but I don;'t see theneed for all the vaccinations that they give dogs nowadays.
In reality all you need are the vaccinations against rabies and bordatella (kennel cough). Those two are realistically possible.

What type of dog are you getting?

Also, be sure to socialize it to both people and dogs very early on. Do NOT let children pick up or tease your dog. If it is hurt by children early on somedogs develop fear of children and can become aggressive towards them. Also, make sure you get it used to all kinds of sounds and different surroundings.

If there is any aggressive or negative action by the dog this is the time to discipline your dog. It's very difficult to discipline a dog once itsdeveloped bad habits and is an adult. Set boundaries. There's no need to ever hit your dog. Most dogs will understand that something is not wanted even bya slight touch or even how you look at them.

Also if you can start to train it off lead.

As for diet it really depends what type of dog you're getting. Don't get the cheapest dry dog food because it really is crap. Spend the extra $10 andget some quality dry food. Dry food is really all you need mixed with some chopped meat and water. I usually give my dog some extra meat (protein) because hedoes get a lot of exercise.

MOST important of all. Please, give it enough physical excercise. You don't know how many dogs I've come across who are simply aggressive or have verybad habits because they do not get any excercise whatsoever. They just become frustrated. A good dog is a tired dog. Believe me I know. I have a GermanShorthaired Pointer and these dogs are about as high energy as you get. I don't even want to imagine what type of isshh he would try if he didn't getenough exercise.
laugh.gif
He typically gets an hour and half both early morning and lateafternoon.

It can get frustrating at times (my dog was a stray and had some pretty bad habits and was frightened by many things early on) but just stick with it. It willbe a pain in the%%%* but you chose to bring a dog in so its your responsibility to give it what it needs. Namely exercise.
laugh.gif
It won't be a puppy for long. Most dogs mature at 6-8 months.

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

Do NOT give your dog all the shots they recommend, it's ******ed. They're in it to make money. How the hell did dogs live before they all had vaccinations? They are dogs after all. They're immune systems are pretty amazing.
I know of a few dogs who have had bad reactions to being administered many vaccinations, especially small dogs. Of course its rare but I don;'t see the need for all the vaccinations that they give dogs nowadays.
In reality all you need is the vaccinations against rabies and bordatella (kennel cough). Those two are realistically possible.

What type of dog are you getting?

Also, be sure to socialize it to both people and dogs very early on. Do NOT let children pick up or tease your dog. If it is hurt by children early on some dogs develop fear of children and can become aggressive towards them. Also, make sure you get it used to all kinds of sounds and different surroundings.

If there is any aggressive or negative action by the dog this is the time to discipline your dog. It's very difficult to discipline a dog once its developed bad habits and is an adult. Set boundaries. There's no need to ever hit your dog. Most dogs will understand that something is not wanted even by a slight touch or even how you look at them.

Also if you can start to train it off lead.

As for diet it really depends what type of dog you're getting. Don't get the cheapest dry dog food because it really is crap. Spend the extra $10 and get some quality dry food. Dry food is really all you need mixed with some chopped meat and water. I usually give my dog some extra meat (protein) because he does get a lot of exercise.

MOST important of all. Please, give it enough physical excercise. You don't know how many dogs I've come across who are simply aggressive or have very bad habits because they do not get any excercise whatsoever. They just become frustrarted. A good dog is a tired dog. Believe me I know. I have a German Shorthaired Pointer and these dogs are about as high energy as you get. I don't even want to imagine what type of isshh he would try if he didn't get enough exercise.
laugh.gif
He typically gets an hour and half both early morning and late afternoon.

It can get frustrating at times (my dog was a stray and had some pretty bad habits and was frightened by many things early on) but just stick with it. It will be a pain in the%%%* but you chose to bring a dog in so its your responsibility to give it what it needs. Namely exercise.
laugh.gif
It won't be a puppy for long. Most dogs mature at 6-8 months.

on point

all the shots are only $50-$75...if you're paying more, find another place
puppies are cute =]

it takes a lot of love and care for a puppy. and pets aren't cheap either. they will get expensive because you have to get their shots and maintain theirhealth, just like a kid.

try to keep them on dog food and not feed them table food because once they get spoiled, it'll be hard for you to get them back on wet and dry food. onlybecause table food doesn't provide the nutrients like dog food does.

also, i would say, neuter or spay them once you get them. it'll decrease their changes of getting diseases and other ailments.

the best advice i can give is ....THINK TWICE BEFORE YOU COMMIT! if you get a lap dog than ....you should be fine. But regular dogs are ALOT... no seriously ido mean ALOT of work dude. I have a yellow Lab who just turned 3 years old and it STILL acts like a puppy. VERY high energy, very playful the only time he getstired is when i take him for a walk for OVER a mile. Hes very very smart sometimes its amazing how smart he is. but its also a catch 22 because he is so smarthe knows these little tricks to get attention and it usually involves doing dumb things he knows is wrong, but he does it because dogs are soo0o0ooooooooooneedy. so seriously re-think man. I love my dog to death and he is great when he behaves which is like 90% of the time but that other 10% where he doesntbehave is such a huge percentage.

Originally Posted by B Rad Glockman

the best advice i can give is ....THINK TWICE BEFORE YOU COMMIT! if you get a lap dog than ....you should be fine. But regular dogs are ALOT... no seriously i do mean ALOT of work dude. I have a yellow Lab who just turned 3 years old and it STILL acts like a puppy. VERY high energy, very playful the only time he gets tired is when i take him for a walk for OVER a mile. Hes very very smart sometimes its amazing how smart he is. but its also a catch 22 because he is so smart he knows these little tricks to get attention and it usually involves doing dumb things he knows is wrong, but he does it because dogs are soo0o0oooooooooo needy. so seriously re-think man. I love my dog to death and he is great when he behaves which is like 90% of the time but that other 10% where he doesnt behave is such a huge percentage.

Yeh. I feel you. Hunting dogs are a no-no for people who can't give their dogs enough exercise.
Imagine having a dog that doesn't get tired evenwhen you take him on 3-4 mile walks. G was playing with another dog yesterday and he was literally sprinting for 20 minutes straight.

feed my dog Science Diet, it's one of the best out there imo
It's good, but it's not one of the best out there. There are better ones, such as Evo, Blue Buffalo, and a couple others. In fact,Science Diets Natures Best is better than the regular Science Diet brand of dog food.

When I get my dobe, I'll def feed it Blue Buffalo.

feed it raw meat...

boil a drum stick.. so the bone softens up..

you gotta remember a dog is a natural carnivore

Back
Top Bottom