Sneaker Collecting is dead and is a FAD

it's not dead, but the way of collecting has changed.
In the past, collectors always bought their shoes from release
either for wearing, keeping them DS or both.
Since the 1990's in some countries private resllers bought up
multiple pairs in order to resell them few years later for much higher price
to make profit of that.
Now in the recent years the amount of such private resellers increased
causing not much amount left in the public retailers and forcing
collectors to pay higher price.

Originally Posted by jumpmankb

Originally Posted by KingZel

I agree that it has turned into a fad for a lot of people. But fore it's just something that I like to do.
Yep. Getting older and selling some of the more impractical kicks I have that I'd rather have the money for (yeezy, supreme dunks, etc...) but there are still some jordans I'll prolly never let go of. I'll usually end up getting 1 maybe two releases from Jordan each year, and when I do, I usually wear them casually a few times carefully but then realize quality is so bad I just beat them to hell wearing them to bars and throw them in the trash. I just threw out my concords and bc3 when i moved from college because they were THAT beat from early casual wear, bars, basketball. But when I wear older Js like infrared 6 pack and dmp's I'm super careful. It just sucks because I'd love to buy some 2000 5s or 3s or anything earlier with nike air, but most all are yellowed like crazy or unwearable. Really wish they'd bring nike air back.
this line said more about you than your whole post...

Sneaker collecting isn't dead but I think the game is slowly dying. Release after release, its getting worse and worse. I just don't understand some moves by JB or even Nike

Originally Posted by Compton781

Sneaker collecting isn't dead but I think the game is slowly dying. Release after release, its getting worse and worse. I just don't understand some moves by JB or even Nike

you dont want to... they only wanna make money, nothing more nothing less

they could give a damn what we think... clearly.

im not salty as ive gotten most releases that have come out
but i think i'm throwing in the towel as well.....
you have to go above and beyond to cop a pair and if you don't you cant trust even the dam resellers with all those fakes all over the place

What is a sneaker gas mask
nerd.gif
? I feel like buying sneakers is the worst investment I ever made. I'm smarter with my money now and overall more educated, so I look back at it as a fad and something I did when I didnt know how to spend my money. I'm in a different tax bracket now and have more money to spend; However, I am too smart to deal with low quality material, hype, and ignorant people. I actually look at JB as a company now and don't endorse them or want to be affiliated with them anymore. I would do anything to have all the money I spent on $75 plus sneakers in a investment account collecting interest.
Great topic
pimp.gif

I wish this was true, I've been doin this for decades and would really like to start goin into my spots at 4pm on Sunday for an easy pick up again and stop seeing 20 ppl or more with j's every time I go to the mall. Unfortunately its not though, everyday some random 15yr old wakes up n decides to start collecting jordans...for stupid *** reasons-rappers wear em, high schoool hoochies like em, stuntin on fb lololol these are the reasons my hobby is being ruined...and its only getting worse. So many damn wanna be's, fake gangsters lol real gangsters don't even exist anymore but when I cop my bred 11s this Xmas every other person in line will be claimin blood. RIDICULOUS! And imo hypebeasts are waaaaaaaay worse than resellers as far as ruining this game. Especially with jordans, anybody under a certain age only purchases to try to look cool...never seen Mike put it on em live

Originally Posted by boomboomskeetskeet

death to resellers

I hate resellers to but I still don't think death is the answer over shoes. You can't really hate on people trying to make money. Making money is my motto and people have their own way of making money and I happen to make money off precious metals..

Originally Posted by AirJaiden

death to resellers

I hate resellers to but I still don't think death is the answer over shoes. You can't really hate on people trying to make money. Making money is my motto and people have their own way of making money and I happen to make money off precious metals..
nope lol they frustrate me when they buy 4 pairs and the people who wants to collect and wear can't get them at retail and have to pay double the price. i dont mind personally if its one or two pairs to sell i get it but when people who have 4 pairs or FSR its just annoying.

Originally Posted by lifestooshort80

death to resellers

nope lol they frustrate me when they buy 4 pairs and the people who wants to collect and wear can't get them at retail and have to pay double the price. i dont mind personally if its one or two pairs to sell i get it but when people who have 4 pairs or FSR its just annoying.
yeah forreal, there is too many of em.. I cant even walk in the mall no more on a saturday morning because the drop will be sold out. people are camping out for LITERALLY EVERY RELEASE.. smh

Originally Posted by nflowshoe

What is a sneaker gas mask
nerd.gif
? I feel like buying sneakers is the worst investment I ever made. I'm smarter with my money now and overall more educated, so I look back at it as a fad and something I did when I didnt know how to spend my money. I'm in a different tax bracket now and have more money to spend; However, I am too smart to deal with low quality material, hype, and ignorant people. I actually look at JB as a company now and don't endorse them or want to be affiliated with them anymore. I would do anything to have all the money I spent on $75 plus sneakers in a investment account collecting interest.
Great topic
pimp.gif

oh you fancy huh???? regardless of "tax bracket" you can still collect sneakers if you like them and have money to spend. it's all about knowing how to play with your money. cop kicks that wont loose value, and wont look beat even if you wear them a few times. take care of them and your more than likely to make at least 80% of your money back if you decide to put them on the market nowadays. you don't need to be "more educated" to understand that, it's more like COMMON SENSE. 
nerd.gif
 .... so what do you say to people who buy more expensive items such as historic cars, paintings, sculptures, etc..? their money should be in an investment account collecting 1% interest too right?
tired.gif

Originally Posted by mobbyluii

Originally Posted by lifestooshort80

yeah forreal, there is too many of em.. I cant even walk in the mall no more on a saturday morning because the drop will be sold out. people are camping out for LITERALLY EVERY RELEASE.. smh
so true. like now its either online or bust for me now because i dont wanna go through all that hassle.

Would'nt be surprised when JB drops Jordan "Elite" on us.. Nike Air.. Premium materials.. $300.. Betcha $10! Lol

AND I WAS CORRECT & CALLED IT.. They brought back Nike Air.. $250 a pop!..Next is premium materials..

Resellers are killing it. And i agree with above, it'll come back to you if you stop. Just so hard to

Good Thread

A friend and I were just talking about this. Things are very different now. I used to be a jordan and penny fanatic. Now I rarely buy jordans. This could be due to me being lucky enough to have a great number of jordans that I wanted. But overall the culture has changed. All of the , IMO, crazy colorways and releases don't do it for me. I find myself buyings more Nikes than anything. The last shoes I purchased were nike air command force 180 emeralds and they are my favorite cop of 2012. 

Even the NT itself is mad different. Am I the only one who remembers keeping an eye out for Baby J posts so we can catch his hints about upcoming releases? lol

its not a game, its something you enjoy doing and saying collecting anything is "dead" is like saying breathing air is dead. if there is stuff to collect someone will be collecting it. tired of these stupid threads

Yes I said it. Agree or disagree? All these line ups, marked up prices with bad quality, limited hyperquickstrikes, re-sellers, and bandwagon idiots killed it along with all the stupid sneaker cakes, sneaker gas mask, Galaxy, elephant print, glow in the dark, on EVERYTHING is dead. I don't wanna stick around and find out what happens in the future... Gone are the good ol days and those who are 30 years old or older can relate.

I'm 32, I been buying Jordan's for at least 20 years. I say buying because I don't consider myself a collector. I don't think collecting is dead, people just chose to "collect" a hot product then complain of how limited they are.

I remember missing out on the Columbia 11's in 1996 because of a test I had to take, then my aunt and I driving all over Detroit looking for my size. Those sold just as good then as they do now, depending on the area. Believe it or not its the so called collectors birthed the hypebeast and resellers.

You collectors get the shoes and glorify them, pay what ever the cost is to get your pair, store them for years then sell them to other "collectors" for usually 100% profit. How many shoes have you sold lately for retail? Give the resellers a reason to leave my not raising your prices because of hype.

Notice the resell price is based on your attention to the shoe, period. Even MJ hyped the 11's when he was told by Nike not to wear them and he did anyway.

It's true tired of people buying kicks just to eBay them, I'll wear and play in them till there beat, then I cut grass in them
, had a kid who wears a size 7 get my size 14 Air Jordan blk/red 11 because it was the last size. Wanted $400.00 on top of retail. DONE!!!

In a couple of years jordans will be like air forces are today. And i will be able to buy 94' 1s and any other jordan for $100 or less :smile:.

Back
Top Bottom