Should I spend all my savings on a laptop?

Originally Posted by TheCalculator

I have a certain amount of money right now... I have worked for about 1/2 of summer but no longer work... and I'm considering spending all of my money on a high end laptop.
Should I do it?

I'm looking to buy a Macbook Pro BTW.

Now if I buy this laptop, I wont be entirely broke but I will have to budget myself with only $100/month
(+&#$(&+#$ you gonna do with 100/month?

get a used dell of craigslist.

I would wait till late 2010/early 2011 to see what's out there.
Right now the MBP is outrageously overpriced and new Intel CPUs will be coming out at around the end of the year.

Almost everyone will say Mac > Win 7
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
but I like Windows more... Sue me
ohwell.gif

Spoiler [+]
To be honest the whole line up is overpriced... $1200 for a Core 2 Duo 13" MBP 
indifferent.gif
... $1200 for a Core i3 iMac 
laugh.gif

sick.gif
smh.gif
at least give me an i5 to start...

I would wait till late 2010/early 2011 to see what's out there.
Right now the MBP is outrageously overpriced and new Intel CPUs will be coming out at around the end of the year.

Almost everyone will say Mac > Win 7
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
but I like Windows more... Sue me
ohwell.gif

Spoiler [+]
To be honest the whole line up is overpriced... $1200 for a Core 2 Duo 13" MBP 
indifferent.gif
... $1200 for a Core i3 iMac 
laugh.gif

sick.gif
smh.gif
at least give me an i5 to start...

I just don't see the logic behind spending money on a $1000+ device that won't last for more than 2-3 years when you're a) not working and b) don't know when your next paycheck will come. (Couldn't surmise from your post whether or not you were getting unemployment.)

If you must get a computing device, go with a netbook that will hold you over until your money gets long enough to cop that Mac Pro.

There is nothing like spending all your money (or most) on something and then wondering how you're gonna support yourself.

Be smart and check out some of these frugally-priced netbooks: http://www.amazon.com/Net...b?ie=UTF8&node=679517011
(I personally would recommend the HP Mini.)

I just don't see the logic behind spending money on a $1000+ device that won't last for more than 2-3 years when you're a) not working and b) don't know when your next paycheck will come. (Couldn't surmise from your post whether or not you were getting unemployment.)

If you must get a computing device, go with a netbook that will hold you over until your money gets long enough to cop that Mac Pro.

There is nothing like spending all your money (or most) on something and then wondering how you're gonna support yourself.

Be smart and check out some of these frugally-priced netbooks: http://www.amazon.com/Net...b?ie=UTF8&node=679517011
(I personally would recommend the HP Mini.)

I've been using a Mac since '04, could never go back to Windows after getting a Mac.

Mac >>>

Great investment IMO, Just do it.

I've been using a Mac since '04, could never go back to Windows after getting a Mac.

Mac >>>

Great investment IMO, Just do it.

I should clarify that the $100/month is my "fun" money because housing + meal plan + books  are paid for. 

I should clarify that the $100/month is my "fun" money because housing + meal plan + books  are paid for. 

I don't suggest you spend that much money on a Mac Pro unless your gonna use it fully. If your just going online and listening to music anything will do. If your actually a professional and and this computer will help you with your work and productivity just consider it an investment and get one. I'd get a refurbished macbook from apple or a used one off of craigslist if I were you because $100 a month is no fun

I don't suggest you spend that much money on a Mac Pro unless your gonna use it fully. If your just going online and listening to music anything will do. If your actually a professional and and this computer will help you with your work and productivity just consider it an investment and get one. I'd get a refurbished macbook from apple or a used one off of craigslist if I were you because $100 a month is no fun

Back
Top Bottom