Should I pay the change my flight time?

W)taps

formerly worldgonemad
Quick question for those who travels a lot.

So im going from NJ to Beijing International airport to tokyo.

However, my connecting flight from Beijing to Tokyo is an exact 2 hour layover.

From what im reading, Beijing airport is a nightmare and many people are saying 2 hours isnt enough because transit passengers need to go through customs + 2 security checks which takes a looooong time. Im worried that I might miss my flight due to this... Yall think its worth spending $300 to change flights to take me directly to tokyo?

any help is appreciated. thanks.

Last edited:
I would just take the risk, but call the airline and ask them tbh.

Just curious and sorry to threadjack, but how much was your flight to tokyo? and how long you going for? I am looking at flights to tokyo tonight, haha. I am going in Feb and decided to go today actually. I am seeing flights for $1,200 for 12 days, but I might need to look at where I would stay and how much that would be first, and see if I would do less time

Last edited:
I would just take the risk, but call the airline and ask them tbh.

Just curious and sorry to threadjack, but how much was your flight to tokyo? and how long you going for? I am looking at flights to tokyo tonight, haha. I am going in Feb and decided to go today actually. I am seeing flights for $1,200 for 12 days, but I might need to look at where I would stay and how much that would be first, and see if I would do less time

Flight was a 1k and I'll be there for 7 days

I probably wouldn't chance it, almost missed a connecting flight because the runway on flight #2 was congested and had to wait for 30min.
Definitely change it if you haven't been to that particular airport before. Seems like the window for error is very small.

On a international travel, the smartest way to go is a direct flight if you can afford the extra dough. Unless you have a huge layover and can make something out of it, i would just do direct. Just my 2 cents.

If you got money to go to Tokyo, just spend the extra money and have some peace of mind. Why risk missing it and start your trip off all mad and ish. 

Don't take the risk.
My airplane made the same stop before getting to TOKYO and I can assure you that the Beijing airport is the worst.
On the way back the same exact thing happened again and I stayed in shanghai for a night. They comped my hotel and breakfast but it was not worth it.
Talk to the airline and find out what happens if you miss the flight. Get all the details.

he might be fine but he's obviously worried AF..OP call ur airline or whomever u booked it thru and ask about all different options..I fly internationally all of the time..u may be able to make changes for free or a lot less than $300..I could tell that it's bothering u and u will b nervous the whole flight about missing the connection..definitely call right away

UPDATE:

So I can change my flight from Baltimore > San Fran > Tokyo

However, as soon as i get to san fran, i have 45 min until my flight to tokyo leaves... yall think thats enough time? Its all the same flight. its with United. Should I take it?

UPDATE:

So I can change my flight from Baltimore > San Fran > Tokyo

However, as soon as i get to san fran, i have 45 min until my flight to tokyo leaves... yall think thats enough time? Its all the same flight. its with United. Should I take it?

Yeah cuz if u miss they got u

*** call first and ask prior to booking tho

Last edited:
You should be able to make it. Usually connecting flights with the same airline are in the same gate area. So you'll get off the plane at one gate and you'll be getting onto your next flight a few steps over.

Only thing you'd have to worry about is your flight from baltimore taking off late, but unless it's a couple hours delayed, you won't have much trouble. I had a similar situation and the flight took off 45 min late so I was thinking it might be tight, but planes can make up time in the air...especially with a long cross country flight. You should be fine.

nevermind... price to change flights is $700.. im just gonna take the Beijing route.. hopefully I can catch my flight.

Back
Top Bottom