Serious Discussion: How to help my nephews Video Game Addiction

Take that +%!# away from them.

and Moms needs to step letting the children dictate things. Ask her if she's ok with you putting hands on them.

11/12 is a little old to be gettin that booty touched but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Respect is the issue here and I guarantee it was a problem before their father passed.

Take that +%!# away from them.

and Moms needs to step letting the children dictate things. Ask her if she's ok with you putting hands on them.

11/12 is a little old to be gettin that booty touched but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Respect is the issue here and I guarantee it was a problem before their father passed.

Originally Posted by Furrell

Why were they introduced to video games at such an early age? They should have been active in sports or other extracurricular activities like we were when we were children. I really don't understand how parents let video games act as the children's guardian and babysitter when they want time off from them or to get them to behave.

Its all about balance. My little nephew for example loves fifa and little big planet but also plays basketball and is on the soccer team at school.

Originally Posted by Furrell

Why were they introduced to video games at such an early age? They should have been active in sports or other extracurricular activities like we were when we were children. I really don't understand how parents let video games act as the children's guardian and babysitter when they want time off from them or to get them to behave.

Its all about balance. My little nephew for example loves fifa and little big planet but also plays basketball and is on the soccer team at school.

I think you have the right idea about getting them involved in activities, and maybe music or art.
Try and have their mom put limits on how much they can play video games, and be consistent.
Maybe create a schedule, or use it as a reward for good behavior completed chores etc.
It might be hard to discipline them because of the situation with their father. You just feel like you
want to let them do whatever keeps them happy, but they're young still need discipline and structure...
maybe get a project to work on together like building something 

I think you have the right idea about getting them involved in activities, and maybe music or art.
Try and have their mom put limits on how much they can play video games, and be consistent.
Maybe create a schedule, or use it as a reward for good behavior completed chores etc.
It might be hard to discipline them because of the situation with their father. You just feel like you
want to let them do whatever keeps them happy, but they're young still need discipline and structure...
maybe get a project to work on together like building something 

Take em out and shoot some hoops, play some catch, swim, play some soccer, take them to the park, etc.

Take em out and shoot some hoops, play some catch, swim, play some soccer, take them to the park, etc.

I appreciate all the suggestions.

I am going to talk to all of them soon and have them brainstorm on all the possible activities they want to participate in. As of right now they are in jiu-jitsu which they love to do. One of them used to play pop warner football but that was back when their pops was still alive. I as their uncle (by marriage) will try my best to be a good role model and influence their lives in a positive way because even though I am not blood related...I love these kids to death.

I am going to have a group little family meeting and have them pick out activities they want to do such as sports, boys and girls club, volunteer, arts and crafts, science programs, craftsmanship, and any other that could channel their energy into a more productive and positive way for them and hopefully this will teach them to appreciate the little they have and then maybe they can appreciate and control their impulses and urge to play video games.

I am optimistic so I know something will eventuall click

I appreciate all the suggestions.

I am going to talk to all of them soon and have them brainstorm on all the possible activities they want to participate in. As of right now they are in jiu-jitsu which they love to do. One of them used to play pop warner football but that was back when their pops was still alive. I as their uncle (by marriage) will try my best to be a good role model and influence their lives in a positive way because even though I am not blood related...I love these kids to death.

I am going to have a group little family meeting and have them pick out activities they want to do such as sports, boys and girls club, volunteer, arts and crafts, science programs, craftsmanship, and any other that could channel their energy into a more productive and positive way for them and hopefully this will teach them to appreciate the little they have and then maybe they can appreciate and control their impulses and urge to play video games.

I am optimistic so I know something will eventuall click

Originally Posted by iYen

Teach em origami

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Op, looks like you are on the right path but if all else fails, military boarding school.

Op, looks like you are on the right path but if all else fails, military boarding school.

Back
Top Bottom