Section 80>>>>>J COLE

Originally Posted by malikdagoat

No shade, but can somebody PLEASE explain what ya'll hear in this +%@*! Kendrick that I dont hear?

He has bars, I will say and respect that, but his flow, voice & delivery is just so God awful to me I honestly can't listen to a whole song from him.

Seriously, what am I missing? somebody enlighten me

This. Although I can hear a whole song from him. I've listened to Section 80 on more than one occasion, which did have some good cuts like Keisha's Song, Rigamortus(or however he spells it), and HiiiPower. Aside from that the tape wasn't good in my opinion. The Spiteful Chant's beat was great, but I didn't like the song itself as a whole. Anyways, as an overall artist I feel like he's been overrated as of now. It's like at times he tries too hard to be "deep", which causes him to struggle to get his point across, which then ruins a song for me.

Originally Posted by ATGD7154xBBxMZ

Originally Posted by timbo109

I'm curious. I haven't really listened to J Cole, but I sincerely doubt he has the same storytelling ability that Kendrick possesses. I'm talking songs like "Don't Understand" and "Average Joes" and especially "Keisha's Song." Has J Cole put out anything of the same caliber as "Keisha's Song"? The story progression as well as the cautionary nature of the song is impressive.
Far from sincere. Don't bother listening to him if you're gonna approach his music with this bias that doesn't even give Cole a fair chance. If you do that listen to Losing My Balance or I Get Up.
My bias isn't that I doubt J Cole as a rapper, it's more that I doubt he can compete with Kendrick.  That doesn't seem like reason enough to not to listen to him at all.  I see potential so I'll give him a shot, but I don't expect to prefer him to Kendrick at the end of the day.  Your reaction's a little strong for the situation.
I listened to the recommendations.  They were definitely good songs and thought-provoking, but I still don't see him able to put together as coherent of a story as Kendrick can.  From the songs that I listened to, I think that J Cole isn't as "mature" so to speak of a rapper as Kendrick.  He still tends to rely on cursing to convey strong emotions. On Section 80, Kendrick ups the ante by being able to express this sort of emotion through voice inflection and other more subtle techniques.  Overall, different styles are going to appeal to different people.  My opinion still stands: Kendrick Lamar > J Cole

we will see whenever their project drops...they were 8 songs in as of April so hopefully we will hear more

Originally Posted by malikdagoat

No shade, but can somebody PLEASE explain what ya'll hear in this +%@*! Kendrick that I dont hear?

He has bars, I will say and respect that, but his flow, voice & delivery is just so God awful to me I honestly can't listen to a whole song from him.

Seriously, what am I missing? somebody enlighten me
THIS

I'm curious. I haven't really listened to J Cole, but I sincerely doubt he has the same storytelling ability that Kendrick possesses. I'm talking songs like "Don't Understand" and "Average Joes" and especially "Keisha's Song." Has J Cole put out anything of the same caliber as "Keisha's Song"? The story progression as well as the cautionary nature of the song is impressive.
Far from sincere. Don't bother listening to him if you're gonna approach his music with this bias that doesn't even give Cole a fair chance. If you do that listen to Losing My Balance or I Get Up.
My bias isn't that I doubt J Cole as a rapper, it's more that I doubt he can compete with Kendrick.  That doesn't seem like reason enough to not to listen to him at all.  I see potential so I'll give him a shot, but I don't expect to prefer him to Kendrick at the end of the day.  Your reaction's a little strong for the situation.
I listened to the recommendations.  They were definitely good songs and thought-provoking, but I still don't see him able to put together as coherent of a story as Kendrick can.  From the songs that I listened to, I think that J Cole isn't as "mature" so to speak of a rapper as Kendrick.  He still tends to rely on cursing to convey strong emotions. On Section 80, Kendrick ups the ante by being able to express this sort of emotion through voice inflection and other more subtle techniques.  Overall, different styles are going to appeal to different people.  My opinion still stands: Kendrick Lamar > J Cole

Kendrick did as well on Section 80.

Originally Posted by TeflanDon

I'm curious. I haven't really listened to J Cole, but I sincerely doubt he has the same storytelling ability that Kendrick possesses.
I'm talking songs like "Don't Understand" and "Average Joes" and
especially "Keisha's Song." Has J Cole put out anything of the same
caliber as "Keisha's Song"? The story progression as well as the
cautionary nature of the song is impressive.

Far from
sincere. Don't bother listening to him if you're gonna approach his
music with this bias that doesn't even give Cole a fair chance. If you
do that listen to Losing My Balance or I Get Up.

what type of fickle %+% complaint?

I fhink the problem with Cole is production he needs to stop producing his own +%%$

I'm convinced that any and everyone who says J Cole is boring has never really listened to The Warm Up or Friday Night Lights. They had to just catch wack verses like the one on "Fitted Cap" or "Blow Up".

Originally Posted by rwfanatic

I'm convinced that any and everyone who says J Cole is boring has never really listened to The Warm Up or Friday Night Lights. They had to just catch wack verses like the one on "Fitted Cap" or "Blow Up".
His verse on "Fitted Cap" was dope, IMO

Originally Posted by MusicalExcellence

Originally Posted by TeflanDon

what type of fickle %+% complaint?

That wasn't even a complaint tho. I'm just saying that you can't put Kendrick over Cole because of something like that because Kendrick does the same.

Originally Posted by Ricardo Malta

Originally Posted by rwfanatic

His verse on "Fitted Cap" was dope, IMO
Did you really listen to what he was saying? Wale set him up for that one. revenge +%%#. Who spends 500 on black/silver 5s? He lost me there.

Section 80 was good but I have to give it up to Friday Night Lights 
pimp.gif

Like it's been said before, J. Cole gets a little stale after a while. He has great songs and great production but it kinda becomes repetitive after a while. Kendrick just offers more. More styles, more flows, more lyrics, more everything.

They're cool though, I wanna hear more from them. Wasn't there supposed to be a joint tape from the two or something?

Back
Top Bottom