Seattle Mariners Offseason Apprecation Post

Franklin Gutierrez
Endy Chavez
Russell Branyan
Aaron Heilman

eek.gif

^ Jack Z really showin' Bavasi how its done.
eyes.gif

Just bring back Jr so that I can purchase more Jr team-apparel...
ohwell.gif

Mariners will be good this year. Good as in a lot better than last year, but I don't know how far that will take them. They have some good pitching, theyjust need to put some things together.

Originally Posted by 651akathePaul

Mariners will be good this year. Good as in a lot better than last year, but I don't know how far that will take them. They have some good pitching, they just need to put some things together.
laugh.gif
No they won't... That lineup sucks, and they havelike two good pitchers...

They're gonna finish last in the division again...

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

Originally Posted by 651akathePaul

Mariners will be good this year. Good as in a lot better than last year, but I don't know how far that will take them. They have some good pitching, they just need to put some things together.
laugh.gif
No they won't... That lineup sucks, and they have like two good pitchers...

They're gonna finish last in the division again...

Not good, but decent would have been a better word. Don't sleep on there pitching though. Morrow has the potential to be a big time starter.

Don't sleep on there pitching though. Morrow has the potential to be a big time starter.
I'll agree with that. Still, three good pitchers don't get you anywhere when you have their lineup and bullpen.

Originally Posted by Kiddin Like Jason

Don't sleep on there pitching though. Morrow has the potential to be a big time starter.
I'll agree with that. Still, three good pitchers don't get you anywhere when you have their lineup and bullpen.
Exactly... And let's not get it twisted...

Labrum surgery is no joke... It's far worse than Tommy John or anything else on a baseball player's arm... Labrum injuries kill careers quite often...I'd be SHOCKED if Erik Bedard was any good this season...

And Brandon Morrow is far from a sure thing as a starter... He's started like 10 games in the minors since he was drafted, and wasn't even a full-timestarter in college aside from his final season at Cal...

Yeah, if you appreciate doing nothing. I guess at least it is better than signing sub-par players for superstar money.

that kid morrow was the one who almost pitched the no hitter against the yanks right ? that kid looks pretty good and king felix is no joke. mariners should bebetter this year......

hopefully they can knock the angels around a bit this year...although we'll quickly remove them from october play if the m's can't keep them out

Originally Posted by SinnerP

Who's gonna close?

I'm almost sure they'll put Heilman as the closer. They also have Joshua Fields, who they drafted last year from Georgia. I don't know where he isin the system, but my gut feeling tells me he won't be worth where the Mariners drafted him. I saw him pitch in the CWS and his fastball wasn't whatimpressed me. It was how is fastball set up the illusion of his curveball. It was nasty!!! Anyhoo, I don't know if he'll be a bust, but he reallydidn't seem too special for a MLB pitcher. His fastball was a bit erratic, and big leaguers will sit on his curve. I don't know though, we will justhave to wait and see.

Originally Posted by SinnerP

^ Jack Z really showin' Bavasi how its done.
eyes.gif

Just bring back Jr so that I can purchase more Jr team-apparel...
ohwell.gif
What do you expect? Did you want him to go out and sign a bunch of sub par players to ridiculous contracts like Bavasi did? I mean, that mangave Bautista, Silva and Kenji AWFUL contracts. I'm ok with what Z has done so far. He's gotten cheaper players who won't be great but I'drather have that right now then to give Hideki Matsui some crazy **! contract. You KNOW Bivasi would try and do that!
laugh.gif
I figure we won't be good for a few more years so we might as well havevets with 1 or 2 year contracts until things start getting serious. I wouldn't give up on Jack. It is his first year. I wish we would have kept PatGillick and let him spend money! If we had Gillick with Bavasi's budget, we wouldn't be in the situation we are right now.

The thing about baseball is if you have great pitching, you can compete. The only exception might have been last years Giants. They had a worse lineup thanSeattle does this year. Anyway, I cosign what FtM says. The Mariners don't need anybody via dumb contracts or trades. They need to stand pat and developtheir young talent so they can compete in a few years. If you keep chasing players, you will NEVER be successful, like the Yankees. If you have your coretalent coming up from your farm system you will win eventually (Again, like the Yankees did when they were actually winning the WS).

Originally Posted by Fear the Mongolian Chop

What do you expect? Did you want him to go out and sign a bunch of sub par players to ridiculous contracts like Bavasi did? I mean, that man gave Bautista, Silva and Kenji AWFUL contracts. I'm ok with what Z has done so far. He's gotten cheaper players who won't be great but I'd rather have that right now then to give Hideki Matsui some crazy **! contract. You KNOW Bivasi would try and do that!
laugh.gif
I figure we won't be good for a few more years so we might as well have vets with 1 or 2 year contracts until things start getting serious. I wouldn't give up on Jack. It is his first year. I wish we would have kept Pat Gillick and let him spend money! If we had Gillick with Bavasi's budget, we wouldn't be in the situation we are right now.

Fair enough... at least they didn't make any Jim McIlvaine-like signings...

Meanwhile...
Seattle sends Heilman to Chicago for Olson, Cedeno

The Mariners removed one of the seven pitchers expected to battle for the starting rotation during Spring Training on Wednesday, when they traded right-hander Aaron Heilman to the Cubs for versatile infielder Ronny Cedeno and reliever Garrett Olson.
The swap occurred two days after Heilman participated in FanFest at Safeco Field and returned to his Chicago-area home bolstered by the reception he received and assurance from club officials that he would compete for a spot in the Seattle rotation.

"This is a trade that just fit," general manager Jack Zduriencik said in a release. "Our No. 1 goal is to continue to accumulate talent in our organization while doing everything we can to compete in 2009.

"Today's trade allows us to acquire a young, left-handed starting pitcher with Major League experience that we will still control for five seasons. At the same time, by adding Cedeno, we have a player who is very versatile and gives us protection and depth, and can compete for a job at second base and shortstop immediately. Finally, I want to thank Aaron for his professionalism. We were excited to acquire him, and sorry to trade him, but I felt this was a deal that we couldn't pass up."

I've been a Mariners fan for a long time (my AL team for sure), but I'm almost hoping they move Ichiro to a winner (except for NYY). I know it probablywon't happen with the Nintendo ownership, but the guy deserves better.

I think Morrow can be dominant, but I just don't see him as a starter for some reason. I think he can be a great closer. I guess that means the M'swould have to be leading in the 9th inning though...
laugh.gif

Good move by the Mariners. Nothing amazing, but definitely taking the right steps to build an organization.

Back
Top Bottom