Season 2 Of Louie Starts Tomorrow Night On FX

Meh, it was alright. Wilfred was better.

Now that the NBA season is over and South Park wont be back 'til Fall, I'm really glad Louie is back, though.

Meh, it was alright. Wilfred was better.

Now that the NBA season is over and South Park wont be back 'til Fall, I'm really glad Louie is back, though.

Originally Posted by Big J 33

Great first episode

The opening scene with his daughter was hilarious and heartbreaking at the same time. Then his conversation with her when he was trying to tell her about fairness and then just gave up
laugh.gif

The honesty and vulnerability of his show is incredibly refreshing, especially in a comedy. Great start to hopefully a great season.
this.

the Seinfeld-esque way of incorporating his stand-up into the episodes is great too.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Big J 33

Great first episode

The opening scene with his daughter was hilarious and heartbreaking at the same time. Then his conversation with her when he was trying to tell her about fairness and then just gave up
laugh.gif

The honesty and vulnerability of his show is incredibly refreshing, especially in a comedy. Great start to hopefully a great season.
this.

the Seinfeld-esque way of incorporating his stand-up into the episodes is great too.
laugh.gif

I'm always on the verge of wanting less stand-up and more show, but his stand-up is so good and obviously so intertwined with the episode, I don't mind it.

I'm always on the verge of wanting less stand-up and more show, but his stand-up is so good and obviously so intertwined with the episode, I don't mind it.

this is by FAR the most depressing comedy series i have ever watched. i don't even like smoking with this. %@$@ is sad

glad it is getting it's proper recognition. it's dope and different

this is by FAR the most depressing comedy series i have ever watched. i don't even like smoking with this. %@$@ is sad

glad it is getting it's proper recognition. it's dope and different

Only caught the last half after the draft. I think I converted everyone who was there. They died when she farted.
laugh.gif

Only caught the last half after the draft. I think I converted everyone who was there. They died when she farted.
laugh.gif

Tonight's episode was terrific

Poor Louie
laugh.gif

His entire rant and point of view in the first half was brilliant and clearly attracted his date... but I knew the reveal of the cause would end up costing him. When he chased after her a bit I was dying
laugh.gif

The second I was hoping would swing in favor of him, but where's the fun in that? I really like what we've seen from the first two episodes... CK has really developed a good rhythm and boundaries of what the show can do, and it's been doing it well.

Tonight's episode was terrific

Poor Louie
laugh.gif

His entire rant and point of view in the first half was brilliant and clearly attracted his date... but I knew the reveal of the cause would end up costing him. When he chased after her a bit I was dying
laugh.gif

The second I was hoping would swing in favor of him, but where's the fun in that? I really like what we've seen from the first two episodes... CK has really developed a good rhythm and boundaries of what the show can do, and it's been doing it well.

Long, but terrific interview by the AV Club
Spoiler [+]
For years, Louis C.K. enjoyed a decidedly mixed reputation as a brilliant stand-up comic and idiosyncratic comedy writer whose best-known work—The Dana Carvey Show, the tumultuous first years of Late Night With Conan O’Brien, the surreal blaxploitation homage Pootie Tang, and the ambitious Norman Lear-styled working-class sitcom Lucky Louie—all happen to be high-profile commercial failures. In the past few years, however, he’s ascended to a new level of respect and acclaim. Through talent, focus, and a work ethic that is the envy of his peers, C.K.’s profile has skyrocketed, landing him in the rarified realm of icons like George Carlin, Jon Stewart, Bill Hicks, and his friend and old collaborator Chris Rock. He’s earned respect not just as a comedian, but also as an important social critic and homespun philosopher. 
C.K.’s stand-up comedy forms the core of his FX show LouieC.K. stars as a version of himself, a single dad navigating an often absurd and unknowable world. He also writes, directs, and edits every episode of the cinematic comedy, which radically changes tones and forms from week to week and features a few recurring faces, but no regular supporting cast to share the weight. That might seem like a recipe for disaster, self-indulgence, or a nervous breakdown, but Louie’s second season, which just began, is getting even better reviews and more attention than its first. The A.V. Clubrecently spoke with the workaholic comedian and television auteur about his exhausting schedule, training with Mickey Ward of The Fighter, and feeling a little overexposed discussing his family on a much-talked-about episode of%$$ With Marc Maron 

The A.V. Club: How exhausted are you at this point?

Louis C.K.: Oh man. Very. I was a lot worse about a week ago. I really crashed because we wrapped production. The last episode that we shot was extremely difficult. It was a massive challenge. When it was over, I really collapsed. [Laughs.] I’m regenerated, I’m okay, I’m promoting the show this weekend and stuff.

AVC:  Extremely difficult from a technical standpoint?

LCK: It’s a huge amount of work, and it’s also a lot of stress. It’s a lot of details and decisions and pressure. I have all these different roles, and everyone who interacts with me in different roles doesn’t give a $!$+ about any of the other things I need to do, nor should they. So when I’m being asked to approve locations, those people really need their answers. They don’t give a $!$+ that I’m not done writing the season or whatever. Also, the network is thankfully really trying to promote the show and get it out there. So they have a lot of demands from me, too. I was out here in L.A. a couple weeks ago shooting the last episode, which takes place in the desert, and there are helicopters doing military maneuvers that I’m directing. Then at night, I’m running into Hollywood to do these panels for, like, the Academy. They showed the first episode, and I had to do Q&As and all the stuff to promote the show. It was a lot. [Laughs.]

AVC: Are you able to have a personal life at this point, or is it just about work?

LCK: What I do is I cram it all into half the week. I still keep my time with my kids. So when I have my kids, I’m not working. We don’t shoot on my kid days, I have my kids four days, three nights a week, and we have to shoot the other three and half days. When I have the kids, I edit at night when they’re asleep, but when I’m with them, it’s just them. You know what: It actually benefits both sides, because that’s the only way I can actually do this. If I had this job five days a week, I wouldn’t get through it. 

AVC: It seems like having children can be empowering and also maybe limiting, because it gives you power to turn down things that you don’t want to do.

LCK: That’s absolutely true. There’s some old thing about every child was born with a loaf of bread under their arms. Like they bring incentive with them, to take care of them and to live life. That’s how I regenerate. I spend time with my kids, and the stuff that I do that is very huge seems very little when I’m with them. It doesn’t really matter. 

AVC: It also seems like you now have the power to say no to things you don’t want to do. I read that you turned down increasing the budget of the show because you’d have to sacrifice some level of creative control. 

LCK: That’s exactly right. The show exists in a perfect pocket right now. We were supposed to be on at 10 p.m. this year, and they went to the ad sales people, and it’s a lot more expensive to buy an ad at 10 p.m. and so that’s the other place that’s changed on the show. That’s how we get more money, to go on earlier and sell ads for more. But none of those people want to buy ads on the show, and so the show would have to change. 

AVC: Is making Louie as emotionally satisfying as doing stand-up?

LCK: Yeah, it is. It’s amazingly that satisfying in a totally different way. It’s essentially a gift. It’s like if you were a golfer, like Tiger Woods, and you’re just obsessed with golf, and you just get off on it, and then you find out, “Oh, I can also play major-league baseball and play in the World Series every year,

Long, but terrific interview by the AV Club
Spoiler [+]
For years, Louis C.K. enjoyed a decidedly mixed reputation as a brilliant stand-up comic and idiosyncratic comedy writer whose best-known work—The Dana Carvey Show, the tumultuous first years of Late Night With Conan O’Brien, the surreal blaxploitation homage Pootie Tang, and the ambitious Norman Lear-styled working-class sitcom Lucky Louie—all happen to be high-profile commercial failures. In the past few years, however, he’s ascended to a new level of respect and acclaim. Through talent, focus, and a work ethic that is the envy of his peers, C.K.’s profile has skyrocketed, landing him in the rarified realm of icons like George Carlin, Jon Stewart, Bill Hicks, and his friend and old collaborator Chris Rock. He’s earned respect not just as a comedian, but also as an important social critic and homespun philosopher. 
C.K.’s stand-up comedy forms the core of his FX show LouieC.K. stars as a version of himself, a single dad navigating an often absurd and unknowable world. He also writes, directs, and edits every episode of the cinematic comedy, which radically changes tones and forms from week to week and features a few recurring faces, but no regular supporting cast to share the weight. That might seem like a recipe for disaster, self-indulgence, or a nervous breakdown, but Louie’s second season, which just began, is getting even better reviews and more attention than its first. The A.V. Clubrecently spoke with the workaholic comedian and television auteur about his exhausting schedule, training with Mickey Ward of The Fighter, and feeling a little overexposed discussing his family on a much-talked-about episode of%$$ With Marc Maron 

The A.V. Club: How exhausted are you at this point?

Louis C.K.: Oh man. Very. I was a lot worse about a week ago. I really crashed because we wrapped production. The last episode that we shot was extremely difficult. It was a massive challenge. When it was over, I really collapsed. [Laughs.] I’m regenerated, I’m okay, I’m promoting the show this weekend and stuff.

AVC:  Extremely difficult from a technical standpoint?

LCK: It’s a huge amount of work, and it’s also a lot of stress. It’s a lot of details and decisions and pressure. I have all these different roles, and everyone who interacts with me in different roles doesn’t give a $!$+ about any of the other things I need to do, nor should they. So when I’m being asked to approve locations, those people really need their answers. They don’t give a $!$+ that I’m not done writing the season or whatever. Also, the network is thankfully really trying to promote the show and get it out there. So they have a lot of demands from me, too. I was out here in L.A. a couple weeks ago shooting the last episode, which takes place in the desert, and there are helicopters doing military maneuvers that I’m directing. Then at night, I’m running into Hollywood to do these panels for, like, the Academy. They showed the first episode, and I had to do Q&As and all the stuff to promote the show. It was a lot. [Laughs.]

AVC: Are you able to have a personal life at this point, or is it just about work?

LCK: What I do is I cram it all into half the week. I still keep my time with my kids. So when I have my kids, I’m not working. We don’t shoot on my kid days, I have my kids four days, three nights a week, and we have to shoot the other three and half days. When I have the kids, I edit at night when they’re asleep, but when I’m with them, it’s just them. You know what: It actually benefits both sides, because that’s the only way I can actually do this. If I had this job five days a week, I wouldn’t get through it. 

AVC: It seems like having children can be empowering and also maybe limiting, because it gives you power to turn down things that you don’t want to do.

LCK: That’s absolutely true. There’s some old thing about every child was born with a loaf of bread under their arms. Like they bring incentive with them, to take care of them and to live life. That’s how I regenerate. I spend time with my kids, and the stuff that I do that is very huge seems very little when I’m with them. It doesn’t really matter. 

AVC: It also seems like you now have the power to say no to things you don’t want to do. I read that you turned down increasing the budget of the show because you’d have to sacrifice some level of creative control. 

LCK: That’s exactly right. The show exists in a perfect pocket right now. We were supposed to be on at 10 p.m. this year, and they went to the ad sales people, and it’s a lot more expensive to buy an ad at 10 p.m. and so that’s the other place that’s changed on the show. That’s how we get more money, to go on earlier and sell ads for more. But none of those people want to buy ads on the show, and so the show would have to change. 

AVC: Is making Louie as emotionally satisfying as doing stand-up?

LCK: Yeah, it is. It’s amazingly that satisfying in a totally different way. It’s essentially a gift. It’s like if you were a golfer, like Tiger Woods, and you’re just obsessed with golf, and you just get off on it, and then you find out, “Oh, I can also play major-league baseball and play in the World Series every year,

Finished watching the fist season the other day. This show is hilarious and refreshing
pimp.gif
. I'll download the new episodes, I'm sure it'll deliver. Wilfred another comedy show?

Finished watching the fist season the other day. This show is hilarious and refreshing
pimp.gif
. I'll download the new episodes, I'm sure it'll deliver. Wilfred another comedy show?

Yeah Wilfred is pretty funny too.

Not laugh out loud hilarious every joke, but I think it has some good potential.

Back
Top Bottom