Science and Religion

Originally Posted by kash55

Humans are very self centered, so the whole universe has to made for us, but when you see how humans are so pointless in the universe, it is hard to take.
Exactly.

No disrespect to anyones beliefs or religion.

I just feel like religions came about to ease peoples fear of death/afterlife.
Pretty hard to swallow that when u die its all over for some people.

Originally Posted by LESfamilia

Originally Posted by DearWinter219

Originally Posted by MJsaver

I'M not saying im an atheist.

But what religious base do they belong to???
They nor agnostics 'don't.' They either believe that everything is a scientific occurrence that can be quantized into esoteric terms or that there is no spiritual life, and after we all die we simply cease to exist. (Almost like the Mormons' concept of hell being an oblivion.)
Which in and of itself, if religious IMO. Anti-religions is religion... it's just not aimed in the same direction
Excellent point, Rilla. That's the same reason I don't really give devil or Satan worship any credence, because it ultimately becomes an antithesis of itself.
Agreed. It's like watching "rebels" and "outcasts" of society form their own cliques (read: ingroups) so they can feelnormal about being different or feel linked in their shared individuality...
smh.gif

Being raised incorrectly/Misunderstanding the teachings of religions/Taught about religion in the wrong way/Close mindedness FTMFL

"Feel like I;m sinning when I think outside the box" My GOD!
indifferent.gif
smh.gif
grin.gif
laugh.gif

Hold up man, ain't no point in stonefacing people. Your open mindedness is no more "right" than the next guy's closed mindedness. We'reall just wondering around in the dark with our flashlights. Nothing more. Besides, MOST religions are very rigid. It's no one's fault if they wereraised to believe a strict set of rules.

They nor agnostics 'don't.' They either believe that everything is a scientific occurrence that can be quantized into esoteric terms or that there is no spiritual life, and after we all die we simply cease to exist. (Almost like the Mormons' concept of hell being an oblivion.)
Which in and of itself, if religious IMO. Anti-religions is religion... it's just not aimed in the same direction

What are you talking about? Religion is not simply a belief system.

Straight from the dictionary:
Religion: 1. A strong belief in a supernatural power or powers that control human destiny
2. An institution to express belief in a divine power

If someone doesn't believe in a divine power, they're not religious. Thus, they're not in a "religion". So stop it with the "weare the world.... everyone is the same" type talk.

In any case... the catholic church accepts evolution?
eek.gif
laugh.gif

Catholicism and evolution are about as mutually exclusive as you can get.
laugh.gif
. Can I get a link or something?

Originally Posted by TheBachellor

Religion: 1. A strong belief in a supernatural power or powers that control human destiny

If someone doesn't believe in a divine power, they're not religious. Thus, they're not in a "religion". So stop it with the "we are the world.... everyone is the same" type talk.

eek.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Relax, stop being so uptight. The idea is exactly the same. Generally speaking, a religion is a system of beliefs and behaviors that correlate to one's belief or disbelief in the afterlife. Tell me I'mwrong... and I don't need a dictionary to tell me that atheism AND agnosticism fall into that category. You mean to tell me that a belief system focused onancestor worship with no mention of 'a higher power" would not be considered its own religion? Don't play semantics with me. I'm the wrongone. And I never grouped any one together. If anything, I said that we are the same in that we're all different and ultimately clueless anyway, genius. Howyou gone get pissy at my point when you don't even understand it? Go stand in the corner somewhere and take your smileys with you.

i remember my science teacher was talking about i was god created the earth and she got pissed

You mean to tell me that a belief system focused on ancestor worship with no mention of 'a higher power" would not be considered its own religion?
ancestor worship o_O ....you talking bout evolution??

Originally Posted by TheBachellor

If someone doesn't believe in a divine power, they're not religious. Thus, they're not in a "religion". So stop it with the "we are the world.... everyone is the same" type talk.

eek.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Relax, stop being so uptight. The idea is exactly the same. Generally speaking, a religion is a system of beliefs and behaviors that correlate to one's belief or disbelief in the afterlife. Tell me I'm wrong...

Ok...you're wrong
laugh.gif

You tell me WHERE you read that religion has to do with disbelief in a deity or afterlife. That's right... nowhere. Because YOU made that up. What do Ihave... dictionaries and encyclopedias... SCHOLARS backing up what i'm saying. What do you have?

Oh... right.
laugh.gif

I don't need a dictionary to tell me that atheism AND agnosticism fall into that category. You mean to tell me that a belief system focused on ancestor worship with no mention of 'a higher power" would not be considered its own religion?

Yes, if there is no mention of a higher power, by DEFINITION it's not a religion. I can worship my great-grandfathers all I want, I guess that's"thebachellor-ism" to you, right? And besides, do you even KNOW what atheism or agnosticism is? What do those two have to do with ancestor worship atall?

Go do some reading my man, you're clearly talking out your @*%.

Unfortunately DearWinter, I'm going to have to side with TheBachellor. Although I understand where youre coming from with YOUR definition of religion, butthat isn't THE definition of religion. Just because I say that Kittens now means Puppies, doesn't make it so
smile.gif
.. But it does in my own universe/mind,which is all that really matters, but that is a different thread all together!

That's always been an interesting way to think about it.

The thing that seperates Athiests from theists is that theists believe in just one more god than athiests believe in.

I never called myself atheist but I believe humans just need something to believe in, in order to keep their sanity.

Its all just different believes. I consider them different lines people decide to follow, so they won't be lost in this world without a lead to follow....something to believe in.

We are all intelligent animals which have developed emotions and thoughts other organisms in this earth have not developed or have but in another sense. Ithink our reality might just be that, ours. Who says the reality of a simple ant is not just as complex as ours is, but in a different kind of way...... Ican't truly explain this thought I have but my definition of blue is NOT the same definition of blue another person might have.

I just things in a way which might depress someone else. Imo I humans are just another animal living on this planet. We are here to live and reproduce thendie. That is life one big cycle and what you decide to believe during your short stay is up to the mind. We have the capability to think and wonder aboutthings like no other species can. When we begin to wonder about our existence and the meaning of our existence, it all seems like a big lead down. Religiongives the masses something that gives hope, that death is just another phase in our lives that leads to something better and greater.... I am not sure aboutall religions but eternal life seems to be the common outcome in every belief = easing our fear of nothingness.

just my opinion which can be totally wrong

Back
Top Bottom