Savings and CDs. Who are you using and whats your APY?

I'm looking to open a CD and came across Ally Bank.  They don't have too many physical locations but I don't need that. 

http://www.ally.com/bank/savings/

Who are you guys using?  Since I know this place is filled with wealthy successful businessmen
laugh.gif
 I thought I'd ask.

laugh.gif
wealthy businessmen usually have access and the knowledge to use better investment vehicles...<1% CDs are a joke

If you're investing anything less than $1000, you're going to make less than $10 over the course of a year.  CD's aren't "investments".  They're a place to park money while it's not needed for a period of time.

Originally Posted by crcballer55

If you're investing anything less than $1000, you're going to make less than $10 over the course of a year.  CD's aren't "investments".  They're a place to park money while it's not needed for a period of time.

I understand that.

If I'm going to save money wouldn't I want it to make money?  So wouldn't want to find the best APY? 

I never used the word "investment"

Originally Posted by MonStar1

I understand that.

If I'm going to save money wouldn't I want it to make money?  So wouldn't want to find the best APY? 

well the thing is if you actually do need the money to make investments you are going to be charged a penalty for using your own money

I understand that.

With the current rates on instruments like CD's your actually taking a loss because you are not keeping up with the rate of inflation ... do your homework bruh

Not to mention you'll be taxed on what you earn.

Any advice on mutual funds?

I got about $250 available to invest. I have a Scottrade account, anyone have any recommendations?

..man i stopped putting all my money in savings..

working with betterment.com to get some stock/bond market funds now..

the current interest rates at banks now are a joke..
30t6p3b.gif

Edit: to answer ur question though OP I still have some funds in ING-Direct .. 0.8% APY
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by pftjordans

..man i stopped putting all my money in savings..

working with betterment.com to get some stock/bond market funds now..

I just checked the site. Have you used it before?

^ I just started DaB

2 days fresh .. earned a few bucks already and feeling good about it.
Its a risk but im trying it out (1st time investor)

Reading up on a few reviews about them really helped with my decision to start...

^ I just started DaB

Reading up on a few reviews about them really helped with my decision to start...
I had my income tax return just sitting.. I've gotten to the point where I'm comfortable not touching it. I want to make it work for me tho. Not trying to count your pockets but what's a safe amount to start off with on there?

Originally Posted by DaBottom305

I got about $250 available to invest. I have a Scottrade account, anyone have any recommendations?

PM as in Philip Morris International.

^ I just started DaB

I had my income tax return just sitting.. I've gotten to the point where I'm comfortable not touching it. I want to make it work for me tho. Not trying to count your pockets but what's a safe amount to start off with on there?

Yeah .. I hear you .. I started with $500 .. I'll see how it goes first cuz its not a quick fix to get cash .. it all takes time..

Originally Posted by cguy610

Shares are at $84. I can only get about 3 shares. 
laugh.gif

Scottrade  trade doesn't trade penny stocks but I'm trying to find stock near $1 to get the most I can. 

Originally Posted by cguy610

Shares are at $84. I can only get about 3 shares. 
laugh.gif

Scottrade  trade doesn't trade penny stocks but I'm trying to find stock near $1 to get the most I can. 
Buy 3 shares then.  It will probably split soon, and then you'll have 6 shares. 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Josednk1068

I understand that.

With the current rates on instruments like CD's your actually taking a loss because you are not keeping up with the rate of inflation ... do your homework bruh

#1 best investment. paid for education
#2 best investment paying off debt.  Not paying 18-30% on your credit cards is better than making 10% on your money
#3 best investment. long term mutual funds/ETF's. (over 5 years)

I've been looking around where i can sit some money and have it increase over time, in the near future ill be able to save about 650-700 a month and was looking to what would be the best thing to do to earn something back on the money being saved.

I just started doing some financial planning work for a company here in the bay area. We offer plenty of products, from 401k's to roth IRAs, but by far the best product we provide clients is the GIUL (global indexed universal life). To sum things up, it's a savings account and life insurance in one. Imagine a CD where you put money in every month, instead of having one lump sum to start. You won't be able to touch your money for a few years, but the average return is about 8.5% compounded yearly. Since it is also a life insurance policy, chances are that your normal financial advisor will not know about this service, since they probably are not licensed to sell life insurance and therefore cannot offer you this service.

Please MSG me if you want more information, or if you want to make some $$$ on the side offering this service to your friends/family.

Watch the following video, it will briefly explain this product.

Back
Top Bottom