Rutgers University?

Originally Posted by RufioRufioRufio

scared of newark?????

tissue soft.
Newark was never Anytown, USA but imo there's no reason to be scared of Newark. Especially in the area of RU-Newark.

2010 New Brunswick Alum,

I loved Rutgers...its really how you view it and use whats given to you. I really didn't like it at first, but I decided to give it a chance and take it for what it is, and I ended up loving it.

RA-ed for 3 years, free dorm and free meal swipes....
smile.gif

My girl lives down Hamilton St not far from Easton and most of this stuff is true 
laugh.gif

I drive through the area multiple times a week, although neither of us went to school there. Can't speak on academics, but Easton is ALWAYS littered with drunk kids stumblin and bumblin late nights.

The grease trucks CAN get old if you OD on them but as long as you dont eat there every week you good. Gio's on Easton is good money too (and usually open when the trucks aren't).

Some good spots to eat restaurant wise/late night too. Was at Hotoke's last year for New Years and it was pretty cool.

1. It depends on your major, RU- NB has great programs for some, while some programs aren't so great.
2. Don't even consider Newark if you can get into New Brunswick, because NB is safer, bigger (approx 25k student population vs 5k student population)

3. The Grease trucks are overrated- they're good to "experience" maybe once a semester, other than that their sandwichs don't taste good (Cheese fries are great). Anyone who knows good food on campus will tell you to get Hansel n' Griddle or Sanctuary. 

4. For those that don't know, RU was offered and Ivy league spot a few years back, but declined because they would have to further raise tuition (something to consider if you are out of state like I am) and would have to cut down on enrollment.  

5. Most of the majors are tough. Get ready to spend long nights in Alexander Library.

6. There are now 2 good dining halls, 1 great one, and 1 bad one.

7. Parties....this is where you should be unless you are also applying to ASU, Deleware, etc etc. This is your "typical" movie like, college experience. Cheap beer (Keystone Light), and cheep hard liquor (just ask for TC). The best parties are guest list and aren't easy to get into. People go out Tuesday's (this is only a bar night), Thur, Fri, Saturday. Before a lot of the fraternities lost houses, got kicked off, RU was even wilder (pre 07). There are a lot of "Slutger's," a lot. Some are very easy to spot, they are the ones trolling at the end of the party at 2am just looked to get some. Others are keep it quiet- dress conservative, spend a lot of time in Alex Library, and keep it to themselves- but they are still easy. There are some classy, very attractive girls as well. Top 3 sororities on campus are - ZTA, GPB, SDT. There are a lot of STD's, so keep yourself strapped, and think before you act.

8. New Brunswick is not as bad of an area as Newark/Camden, but by no means is it great. There are stabbings, robbing's- this is mostly done by the locals of the area, not student on student. 

9. Parking sucks as mentioned before.

10. Rutgersfest.

11. Rutgersfest.

12. Rutgersfest. Put it this way- every college has their one day of the year that is the biggest party of the year, and this is Rutger's way of saying I hope you had a good year, and enjoy studying for finals starting the day after while its 75 degrees outside. Last year, there was a concert on one of the campuses (Busch) - 3OH3, Pitbul, and Yaewolf performed. Everyone and their mother comes- friends bring friends, who bring friends yada yada. The streets are packed to the point where it will take you about 45 minutes to move a mile on College Avenue campus. Drinking starts at 7AM because the bars open up especially early this day. Some people make it till noon, pass out, wake up and start up again. The problem is, last year too many locals and others who had intentions to start problems came- 4-5 people got shot. Rutgersfest is canceled for next year by the University. HOWEVER, the students did not take kindly to this- there is a 20,000 person Facebook group for "Slutgersfest 2012." It is happening, just without the University.

14. Any other questions, inbox or email me.

15. RU Rah Rah.

Back
Top Bottom