Roy Jones Jr vs. Felix Trinidad...... Tonight!

Good showing by Roy, Felix hung on there and avoided the knockout. Good fight

capt.25b08fce16304e658db8bd89ce54da5d.jones_trinidad__boxing_nyjj116.jpg

6a47a9ee98476c4ce0da049af182e34a-getty-77769054aj029_felix_trinida.jpg

9199bb7ed117811373b5785a37dac119-getty-77769054aj025_felix_trinida.jpg

81e65b108a83998fdb4dcc8f7bc94aec-getty-boxing-us-trinidad-jones.jpg

44dde0700df3e9293ad1c2f0f89c91e0-getty-boxing-us-trinidad-jones.jpg

c9b27d6b5cdbb597639d6daed7155c69-getty-boxing-us-trinidad-jones.jpg

Roy still has his speed and reflexes but he's not willing to fully commit and engage his opponent. Ever since he got caught by that right from Tarver thatKO'd him he's been much too defensive. The problem with Roy being so defensive is that it actually causes him to get hit MORE. In his prime, hisdefense was his incredible offense and his reflexes...nobody could hit him clean because every time they thought about trying they ate leather. Now Roy willjust stand there and let opponents throw shots until they're done....even the best defense in the world is only good for a certain amount of punches!!Eventually, they will start to land. Unless the win really sky-rockets Roy's confidence to the point that he's willing to let his hands go like he usedto do...he needs to hang it up. All a fighter has to do is keep constant pressure on him with a high punch output and Roy will probably lose because he'lljust sit there on defense until he gets hit.

eek.gif
@ roy's hands STILL... so quick. Still a treat for me to watch him fight tonight, reminded me of all the good times watching him do his thing longlong ago.. I think he reminded a lot of people that he was once one of the best to be doing it, and i wouldn't mind seeing him fight again but it'dmake a lot of sense for him to hang it up now too. Either way i wouldn't be too upset, so long as he appears in good shape should he go out again.

Thank you gunna i was going to post the same videos

Roy speed ant there he just fought someone with slow hands tonight if he tired that drop his hands crap with anyone else tonight he would of been pickinghis@@@@ off the ground.

if he fights calzaghe or chad he is going to get knocked out.

Just trying to bring a dose of reality back into this thread man
laugh.gif

Roy Fought Tito (an overblown welterweight) off 3 yrs layoff

no hate at all. Im just not as impressed as everyone else over Roid Jones, just something to ponder.
In his first fight after the BALCO scandal broke in September 2003, which prompted the federal government to shut the company down, Jones received a hard earned and extremely close decision over Antonio Tarver. That's the fight in which Joe Calzaghe made the comment that Jones looked human for a change.

Where was the speed and power he had showed just eight months earlier against Ruiz? Why couldn't he break Tarver's nose or ribs, as in the past? Sure, he had shed any where from eighteen to twenty-four pounds in eight months, and it was claimed this feat weakened him. On the other hand, I just lost four pounds in five days without exercise, and Jones had eight months to lose all of that extra weight he'd packed on for Ruiz. So was it the weight loss that weakened Jones or something else?

The former champ was blasted out in two rounds in a rematch with Tarver, and then he looked listless, slow and powerless in getting starched by Glen Johnson. In a rematch with Tarver, Jones ran for his life in lasting the distance. The power, speed and durability he had always exhibited were gone, disappeared, nearly instantaneously-as if by magic. In 2004, writing for blackathlete.com, Elisa Harrison strongly suggested the loss of superman's powers might have been linked to BALCO, and she might very well have been correct.

The BALCO link and the positive test for steroids in Indiana have spawned a dark cloud of dubious legitimacy and legality over all of the victories ever achieved by Jones, with the exception of his last four fights. Those last four were fought with a fair degree of certainty that Jones was in his natural state, and not in some artificially enhanced condition, as was the case during the Hall fight. Because there exists such a striking contrast between Jones before BALCO was busted by the Feds and the fighter who emerged just two months afterwards, perhaps it is best to regard those earlier victories with very large and bold question marks. This is not without precedent.

Track and field athletes linked to BALCO have been suspended and their records officially wiped clean from the record books without ever having tested positive for steroids or THG.

It would be interesting to discover exactly why and for how long Jones was linked to BALCO, if only to eliminate uncertainty such an association gives to the dubious legitimacy of his victories.

Otherwise, such suspicions may suggest that the ex-champ has only one win, a decision loss and two knockout defeats (since the government closed down BALCO), and this is hardly the record of a great fighter.

Jones is not the only pugilist who has been caught using steroids. Fernando Vargas, Frans Botha and James Toney have been ensnared. In her article, Harrison noted that Shane Mosley had also been linked with BALCO. Richard Hall tested positive for steroids when he fought Roy.

During a 2003 interview, Indiana State Boxing Commissioner Jacob Hall said that Jones "was five or six times over an acceptable level" of steroid use, while Hall "was about ten times above an acceptable level." What's really bizarre about his description of the two artificial warriors is that there is "an acceptable level" of steroid use in such a dangerous sport as boxing.

Steroids enhance a users punching power and this is quite similar to fighting with loaded gloves, with but some other big differences. Boxers that are steroid junkies also enhance their speed artificially, and this allows them to deliver their much improved punching power with greater velocities, and this makes it that much more deadly to the recipients of such punches than would normally be the case. Even more frustrating for purely natural fighters, the steroid junkies can use their artificial speed to move out of harms way more so than when they were just products of hard work.

Them's big words you're speaking gunna... you claiming RJJ's entire career was "enhanced" by one thing or another?

Hhmm judging by the fact that Roy still has his haters (that means he is still viewed as successful because real haters only hate on successful people) maybehe should fight Calzaghe. If Roy beats Calzaghe then retires...I can think of a better way to end his career.

laugh.gif
Braggingrightscorner.com was accused of posting rumors and gossip, even Jones' trainer Alton Merkerson and Jones' adviser Brad Jacobs came to the rescue but their attempts at damage control couldn't derail the truth. And the truth is that Roy Jones Jr. through his attorney admitted to the Indiana Boxing Commission that he had used steroids prior to this fight. Pursuant to his admission Roy agreed to certain terms and conditions dictated by the Indiana Boxing Commission regarding the episode. (Those of you who doubt internet reporting, please refer to The Ring magazine's January 2004 issue which acknowledges and credits Aladdin Freeman for the report).

Media ignores the Jones Steroids scandal
By Scoop Malinowski

Surely you noticed the media uproar after Sammy Sosa was caught red-handed with a corked bat.

Now we have upon us another bombshell story about cheating or alleged cheating in sports. Here are the facts: According to Indiana Boxing Commissioner Jacob Hall, Roy Jones tested positive for taking anabolic steroids after his 2000 Indianapolis fight with Richard Hall...and also, according to Jacob Hall, Jones admitted to taking the anabolic steroids.

It is one of the most shocking boxing stories of the year. Hall's revelations were made last Friday - after initial denials by Jones' trainer Alton Merkerson and advisor Murad Muhammad.

Said Muhammad on July 25th to Boxingtalk.net: "It was alleged that Roy was tested. But my understanding was that it was cleared up because it was only a nasal decongestant that had something (steroid) in it. But the amount of this substance was so minute, little fuss was made. There was nothing exciting about it, it was just a simple mistake. And Roy hasn't used the product again. Roy also took additional tests voluntarily and both tests were passed without any problem. Roy was cleared and these rumors are nonsense, simply untrue and totally ridiculous. Nevada is probably the strictest commission of them all. So, if what they are saying is true, don't you think this would have been a major story by now?"

Merkerson said this to Fightnews.com on July 29: "That was just rumors of people who were stating he was on steroids," said Merkerson. "Roy would be crazy, with the status he has in the community and the world as a great boxer, to even attempt to do something like that. ...The way it got back to my gym...a lot of my guys, my boxers were telling me it was all over the internet that Roy was on steroids for that fight, and for the fight with Ruiz. It's totally a lie, and whoever keeps putting those rumors out should --- they should get their facts straight --- serious things can happen in court to people for putting out false accusations."

Again, to refresh your memory, here is what Jacob Hall told me on August 1st when I asked him if Roy Jones had tested positive for steroids. "Both of them did (test positive). Roy Jones tested positive for steroids. He was five or six times over an acceptable level. Hall was about ten times above an acceptable level. He didn't mention that in his interview.

A letter was sent to both (Jones and Hall). The Indiana Boxing Commission followed up - I talked to Jones' people and said we were going to declare the fight a no-contest, suspend and fine him. And at that time, Jones' attorney Fred Levin and the Indiana Attorney General's office got involved.

Indiana has no law on drug testing as probably the majority of the states in the U.S. do not. The drug testing company sent us the results. Most states that don't have drug testing laws, the test results go back to the sanctioning bodies. I think most people are surprised at that. What do the sanctioning bodies do when they get positive test results? Suspend? Fine? They didn't in this case.

Through his attorney, Jones admitted he had been taking an over-the-counter product called Ripped Fuel. That's not illegal but it is an anabolic steroid according to the IBF and other other sanctioning bodies.

So he did test positive. He did take Ripped Fuel.

Whether that's what he took or not we don't know, but he did test positive and admitted to taking a steroid.

The IBF chose to do nothing. They wanted a second test to be done. But why take a second test when he failed the first one and admitted to taking a steroid? That's where it ended.

No action was taken. Nobody did anything.

We couldn't take action (because there is no drug testing law in the state of Indiana) but what we agreed to was before his next two fights, Roy Jones would submit the results to more drug tests to Indiana. One fight was in Louisiana and those results were negative. And the other was in California, and those results were negative.

What surprised me about this is that the IBF chose not to do anything.

Roy Jones' people were very cooperative and very easy to work with to reach a settlement. Also, I did tell Roy Jones that there are some amateur boxing clubs here in Indiana and he did send a check in the amount of $250 for the Indianapolis PAL."

Most shocking of all though is that you have not found this story anywhere but here and Elisa Harrison's BraggingRightsCorner.com - who got it all started on July 18th when Jones' opponent in 2001, Richard Hall, divulged the fact to interviewer Aladdin Freeman that Jones tested positive.

So we have the head of the Indiana Boxing Commission flat out saying that Roy Jones tested positive for steroid use and admitted to using steroids and the IBF ignored it.

Where is the major media on this? Why are the other major boxing websites turning a blind eye? Trust me, they all read Boxinginsider.com and they are well aware this story is brewing. When will Roy Jones come out from where ever he is and explain this all away like Sammy Sosa had to? And perhaps worst of all - how could the IBF ignore the positive drug test results by Jones and Richard Hall and not even fine or suspend Jones or Hall?

Roy Jones and the IBF have a lot of explaining to do. But so do all the boxing media. Not a single daily newspaper in the country - to my knowledge - has made even the smallest of mentions of this story. Teddy Atlas is always lecturing about various boxing corruptions, what is his opinion on this? Max Kellerman reads this site, surely he must have something to say? There are many other high-and-mighty members of the boxing media who are constantly selling us on the virtues of a Federal Boxing Commission - how could they ignore what is maybe one of the worst examples of dastardly cheating in years? Would this not be a perfect chance to use this steroids platform to push for much needed Federal reform? Or are many of the wanna-be reformers just as hypocritical as the current crooked element in the sport who bow to the almighty dollar?

Why does the media - which goes into a virtual feeding frenzy if Mike Tyson so much as sneezes - remain as frozen as an army of cigar store indians upon learning that Roy Jones tested positive for taking steroids and that it was covered up for 24 months? Why did Fernando Vargas and Frans Botha have to pay a considerable penalty for the same steroids violations yet Roy Jones gets the free pass, no questions asked?

Is this not a perfect opportunity to reestablish that boxing is legitimate and clean and will not tolerate such cheating? Or is this a horrible omen that the sport is eventually going to spin out of control? Maybe it is out of control already.

And maybe Bernard Hopkins was right after all. Maybe the boxing media is mostly a parade of puppets and pawns that are controlled by the ruling powers.

But one thing is for sure. Because of Jacob Hall and Richard Hall we now know that Roy Jones tested positive for taking anabolic steroids and admitted to taking anabolic steroids for his fight against Richard Hall. And the IBF was fully aware of the positive test results and took no action. Jacob Hall is not concerned with retaliations for his revelations. As he told me, "I have documents...what I'm saying, I can back-up. So I'm not concerned with that."

Jacob Hall knew this all along for two years. He only made it public after my phone call last week. The only media on the planet who are following this story of injustice are one French newspaper and Boxinginsider.com. I'm not even sure if the French paper is still covering it.

Stay tuned though because this story is still developing. In the coming weeks, Boxinginsider.com will seek answers and explanations on this matter from the IBF, Roy Jones, Marc Ratner and the Nevada State Athletic Commission, Larry Hazzard of New Jersey. Also we will contact the people at Twin Lab who make Ripped Fuel.

Scoop Malinowski is a Boxinginsider.com contributor.
Check out his site www.thebiofile.com.

first, Roy said he was taking a Nasal drip for sinuses which containted a steroid
laugh.gif

then he said, no no, it was Ripped Fuel
laugh.gif

sound a bit like Shawne Merriman, Marion Jones, Julius Peppers, and Bonds dont he
tired.gif

smh.gif
actin like this is some breaking News story, this been out for yrs. real Boxing heads have already come to grips with this. Sorry if ur just finding outyour Parents "P-Cola in the house" school mate is a fraudelent Cheat

roll.gif
roll.gif
i dont no why u even trying to shut them up gunna its no point this fools got ablind eyes point of view of events

Im not, but Tres came in the thread ranting cause this the 1st he's heard of this. Welcome to 2003, every other Boxing Fan heard this back when it happenedand has moved on from the side show Roy has become in boxing.

This n' testosterone levels was through the roof....Like he was a horse or some %*%*....

I thought this was common knowledge???

And Tito looking outta shape....Give it up....

Roy Jones Jr proved again tonight that he is THAT dude. He has lost a little speed, but dammmmmm.....he is still lightining fast. I agree with everything thatMax said tonight about RJJ struggling with quickness since he had to drop all that weight after he went up a class. He looks to be back.

Originally Posted by sLam shady

Hhmm judging by the fact that Roy still has his haters (that means he is still viewed as successful because real haters only hate on successful people) maybe he should fight Calzaghe. If Roy beats Calzaghe then retires...I can think of a better way to end his career.
Exactly what I'm thinking.

Dudes acting like Roy gonna go at Calzaghe with the same approach he did against Tito: with his chin out. That's laughable. Ya'll must've forgotthat RJJ don't like to get hit.
laugh.gif

There's no way he'd fight the same way against weak$*@! Calzaghe.

Like I said before, RJJ would do him up.

EARLY!

He took some nagal decongested and some over-the-counter(Legal) Ripped Fuel
wait, so you're that one guy that believes Barry Bonds actually thought it was Flacseed oil ...
nerd.gif
laugh.gif

what Max said is stupid to me. he had 8 months to drop down back to normal weight to fight Tarver the 1st time. 13 months when he got knocked ou by tarverin the 2nd fight, 17 months after the ruiz fight he gets knocked out by johnson. pretty much 2 years later he lose to Tarver again in there 3rd fight. not tomention him looking like a bum the past 2 years VS some no names

Wait a second, people didn't know about Roid Jones?!?!?!??
Where the hell have you guys been the last 4 years?!?!
Just because ESPN doesn't report it, doesn't mean it never happened people...

Back
Top Bottom