RING Door Bell/Floodlight Security Cameras

Anybody have them? Worth the investment?

I've been reading some reviews and watching videos, I'm more interested in the Floodlight Motion Detector Camera.

I figured I would just install one above the front door/back door and garage driveway instead of waiting for the doorbell button to be pushed.

If not Ring, what are y'all recommendations? Share your stories.

Last edited:
the ring doorbell sucks because its gigantic and ugly

I saw the floodlight just released and im interested in that.

I swear I spent an hour yesterday watching all their videos on youtube. So much lulz :lol:

My parents have Ring. They live in a well off area in the suburbs ; the goons have been targeting many houses in the area by ringing on doorbells at different times of the day so that they can get an idea of what time people aren't at home. With Ring my parents can answer the door without even being at the house. It's pretty useful, and ever since they've installed it, they've noticed a lot less random people coming by to ring/knock :lol:

I have no need for it since I live in a gated apartment building, but if I had a house I'd probably get one. You can see who's at the door from your phone, so if I'm in bed, I can decide whether I need to get up or not to answer the door.

At first I was hating on it as an unnecessary millennial type of luxury, but at least 4 houses in my parent's neighborhood have been broken into the past year. Even my parents' house almost got hit, but the ADT alarm scared the burglar off

Last edited:
I have a doorbell camera, but not by Ring

Mine is Vivint

Part of the home security I have. It's extremely convenient

i have the Ring, and it is pretty useful. The downside is sometimes it doesnt connect quick enough. Delivery people would be on the way back to their truck by the time it connects so i'm unable to let them know where to leave my packages.

I'm considering alternatives at the moment.

i have the Ring, and it is pretty useful. The downside is sometimes it doesnt connect quick enough. Delivery people would be on the way back to their truck by the time it connects so i'm unable to let them know where to leave my packages.

I'm considering alternatives at the moment.

I read you need fast Wifi.

Yeah it's a great service. Can control the thermostat, lights and cameras all from my phone it's slick.

I actually don't have the thermostat :nerd:

I'm getting a new A/C system installed soon, so I'll have to look into that. Did you get the locks or anything else?

*edit
Just looked up the thermostat; it's clean af! Is it pretty easy to set up and use?

If you go with the Ring, get the Ring Pro. Way smaller and looks better but requires a hard-wired connection, which I prefer bc I'd rather not worry about it dying.
Motion sensors are pretty accurate, sound and video are clear enough- nightvision's good too. No experience with the floodlight tho.

Frys has been having the Ring Pro for $189 with the email promo code. Reg price is $249.
I also saw the doorbell, chime and floodlight kit at costco the other week. Forgot how much it was.

I actually don't have the thermostat :nerd:

I'm getting a new A/C system installed soon, so I'll have to look into that. Did you get the locks or anything else?

*edit
Just looked up the thermostat; it's clean af! Is it pretty easy to set up and use?

Locks no..didnt know they had those :lol: And yeah, it's very easy to work with. You can also set it so that it conserves energy while nobody is home too.

I have the Ring Doorbell Pro.
Its pretty cool. Got it just before I went on vacation in back in the summer. It was nice to check up on the front once in a while even though I had the neighbous do it anyways.

It has motion detection (option to send you an alert) so it records as soon as it detects motion. you could answer before someone presses the doorbell. All recordings go to a cloud storage system. you have to pay a monthly fee though, works out to be really reasonably priced.
My cousin has both the doorbell and the floorlight camera set up. I'm considering a floorlight above the garage or for the backyard.
Downside is sometimes is that it will send you motion detection alert, but then by the time it loads on your phone, the person could be gone already. That's one thing I've noticed. Also, its not entirely gonna stop someone from breaking into your home, but at least it will record it and provides security when you're home. I really don't like answering the door, so I'll check to see who it is first. Last thing, sometimes it makes you more paranoid lol, lots of people knock on the door thinking its only active when they press the doorbell, or the ring the doorbell and then back up like 4-5 steps cause they don't want to be recorded. Makes me suspicious of some people.

How is the video at night? And is that with or without your porch light on?

The video at night with my porch light on is just fine.

I haven't really checked it without the porch light on at night. I'll check it out tonight.

It's been a goal to get our stuff upgraded to these smart stuff but we gon be movin' soon so I've just been researching for when we finally do relocate.

the ring doorbell sucks because its gigantic and ugly

I saw the floodlight just released and im interested in that.

Yep. Ring functionality is great, but the unit is aesthetically displeasing. I'm waiting for 2018 for Nest Hello.

Very useful. not only to thwart off criminals but also to catch delivery men doing dumb stuff/neighbors walking through your grass/scare solicitors etc. Last week our postal guy delivered our package to the side of the house! and for what reason?!

Back
Top Bottom