Ridin the Bench Unappreciation Post

I played roughly 3-4 minutes a game as 10th man on varsity my senior year, as compared to being 12th man my freshmen year.

Explanation?

Slight tear in my MCL during the 2nd week of practice of my sophomore year, similar to Reggie Bush's injury, didn't need surgery, but I couldn'teven jog. I come back the 2nd week of district play, and my coach won't let me get in during a 30 point blowout my first game back because "Ihadn't practiced enough." Dude took me from being a starter to being on the bench the rest of the season. I got aggravated and quit, sat out my entirejunior year because the AD lost my physical and other paperwork the day of tryouts and the new coach wouldn't let me try out. Came back for my senior yearwith the same coach from my fresh-soph years and made the team, but he never let me on the court.

Matter of fact, he even had the audacity before my last home game to tell me, "You know, if you hadn't quit on me soph. year, you'd have at leastbe 6th man this year, if not starting again."

Long story short, should have never quit, but when you're young, angry, and stupid, you made dumb choices. But trust homie, I know how it feels to know youshould be playing and not.

Tell you what though, approaching the end of my 3rd year of college, I wouldn't trade those memories for anything.

HS Basketball > Biology 1001.

Mind you, he started a guy in front of me who at one point averaged 10 turnovers a game. No lie. We all called the dude "the Baker."

Back
Top Bottom