Retro's depreciating the value of OG's or "older retros"

I don't see any long term benefit to hoarding shoes unless you have a true OG pair in pristine condition. Even pairs of those that are truly valuable are far and few between. Shoes take up space, get old & decay. I'd rather just wear them, take some photos of myself in them to remember them by and leave collecting to someone else. I think if you're collecting in the hopes of turning a profit in the future you're most likely going to be disappointed.

Originally Posted by bence23

Originally Posted by green rhino123

Here is something I don't think was touch upon:

As time marches on, less and less of the 'sneaker community' hold direct links to these covetted
original releases. People age. Younger audience fills the void. Not a knock to the younger crowd -
but you guys don't have the same link to the past with these shoes and frankly do not care as much.
It makes sense and is the way it really should be. There is no 're-united at last' feeling to drive you
to pay otherwise foolish amounts of money.

Thus, this does not help to increase the value of originals. I think a lot of younger cats look at ogs
or pricey older retros and are like this: You really like them, but can usually wait for another release
in the future over blindly coughing up hundreds of dollars. Also - a younger consumer is, on average,
a poorer consumer.

In short - originals aren't as big a deal as they used to be. Retros have something to do with it.

Real spit!

Also age is now a factor. Most OGS aren't wearable anymore. Even a lot of 99 retros arent wearable anymore. Thus inferior retros will reign
In a point of view of a casual sneaker fan like me, there is no point in acquiring this vintage shoes... For me its a total waste of money to invest in these shoes which will literally crumble just by dropping them on the floor. I would rather use the money to buy the retro version of it which is wearable and for retail. But i have to give my props to those who are willing invest on these. This are the people who has the money and has alot of devotion for this hobby.

As for the value going down, yes because the demand has gone down. Maybe because most of the guys who are willing to put the money for these OGs already has one or 2 pairs of these....

Originally Posted by DeLaChris

I dont think retro's are depreciating the value of OG's.
Because the OG's have better quality and have Nike Air on it.
The retros were getting watered down quality. If you truly have love for the sneaker game your always gunna respect the OGs.
look at Shadow 10s, Wred 12s or Hares, the price dropped like crazy when they dropped the retros. But stuff like Carmines, KOs, OG 1s, basically anything before 11s didnt really drop off in price. (The city series 10s, concords, jams, etc wont depreciate, but as I've said in the first sentence the retros do hurt some OG's value.)

the sale of sneakers has not stopped but the value of kicks has lost alot of steam

only a few shoes can command top dollar

basically......my heinekens only thing i treasure first camp out... with the market and the way nike/jordan overloaded shoes it killed my passion

been out of the "game" so long i mainly credit the hypebeasts for it but nike did fueled the fire

Originally Posted by Karbonized

Originally Posted by bence23

Originally Posted by green rhino123

Here is something I don't think was touch upon:

As time marches on, less and less of the 'sneaker community' hold direct links to these covetted
original releases. People age. Younger audience fills the void. Not a knock to the younger crowd -
but you guys don't have the same link to the past with these shoes and frankly do not care as much.
It makes sense and is the way it really should be. There is no 're-united at last' feeling to drive you
to pay otherwise foolish amounts of money.

Thus, this does not help to increase the value of originals. I think a lot of younger cats look at ogs
or pricey older retros and are like this: You really like them, but can usually wait for another release
in the future over blindly coughing up hundreds of dollars. Also - a younger consumer is, on average,
a poorer consumer.

In short - originals aren't as big a deal as they used to be. Retros have something to do with it.

Real spit!

Also age is now a factor. Most OGS aren't wearable anymore. Even a lot of 99 retros arent wearable anymore. Thus inferior retros will reign
In a point of view of a casual sneaker fan like me, there is no point in acquiring this vintage shoes... For me its a total waste of money to invest in these shoes which will literally crumble just by dropping them on the floor. I would rather use the money to buy the retro version of it which is wearable and for retail. But i have to give my props to those who are willing invest on these. This are the people who has the money and has alot of devotion for this hobby.

As for the value going down, yes because the demand has gone down. Maybe because most of the guys who are willing to put the money for these OGs already has one or 2 pairs of these....
You got that right man!!!
pimp.gif

OGs will always hold a nostalgic value to collectors.
The price may fall a little bit but they will stand command a premium.

To answer the original question, I think a shoe that has never been retroed ever (aka OG) or "in a long time" will have a higher value to those seeking that particular model, not necessarily what the market is willing to pay for it. I think it just depends on the collector. Someone mentioned it above where for us older sneakerheards, the OGs will have more sentimental value and thus we would be willing to pay more for them than say a newbie sneakerhead.

Back
Top Bottom