Relocating to a brand new city- how easy is it, how long is the process??

I'm a new college grad with a good paying job.  I am looking into locations of relocating to the big city setting or warm weather, which leaves me plenty of choices, right?  My list of types of locations that interest me include CHI, NC/SC, NYC, Seattle/Portland, TX, ATL, DC, FL, CA...  How do you begin to narrow down and figure out what is right for yourself?  Going online doesn't really do justice to find list like the "top 20 places for young professionals."  What makes number 2 better than number 4..  If there are so many options, is it pretty much like putting names in a hat and just drawing a city and saying I'm moving here?  I would be coming from OH, so we have 4 seasons here..  Some ppl can't tolerate the humidity of FL for prolonged times or the CHI/NYC winters..  I've pretty much had it all here one way or another.  I'd prefer a hot summer over a cold, frigid winter. 

How is it adjusting all on your own?  How do you meet people, etc?  Looking back at it, was it worth it?  Any regrets?  Advice?  Put in any other input or suggestions of cities that may help!

I'm a new college grad with a good paying job.  I am looking into locations of relocating to the big city setting or warm weather, which leaves me plenty of choices, right?  My list of types of locations that interest me include CHI, NC/SC, NYC, Seattle/Portland, TX, ATL, DC, FL, CA...  How do you begin to narrow down and figure out what is right for yourself?  Going online doesn't really do justice to find list like the "top 20 places for young professionals."  What makes number 2 better than number 4..  If there are so many options, is it pretty much like putting names in a hat and just drawing a city and saying I'm moving here?  I would be coming from OH, so we have 4 seasons here..  Some ppl can't tolerate the humidity of FL for prolonged times or the CHI/NYC winters..  I've pretty much had it all here one way or another.  I'd prefer a hot summer over a cold, frigid winter. 

How is it adjusting all on your own?  How do you meet people, etc?  Looking back at it, was it worth it?  Any regrets?  Advice?  Put in any other input or suggestions of cities that may help!

I lived in NYC all my life and kinda want to move to Boston, but it's really similar to Manhattan, so there's no real advantage to leaving everything behind for a change of scenery.

I wish I had the balls to just head somewhere and start anew, but I can't lol. Maybe if I travel more I can find someplace intriguing enough to change my mind.

I lived in NYC all my life and kinda want to move to Boston, but it's really similar to Manhattan, so there's no real advantage to leaving everything behind for a change of scenery.

I wish I had the balls to just head somewhere and start anew, but I can't lol. Maybe if I travel more I can find someplace intriguing enough to change my mind.

Are you trying to move with no job or are you trying to find a place you would like to live and then find a job in that area?

Are you trying to move with no job or are you trying to find a place you would like to live and then find a job in that area?

its pretty hard dawg especially if you dont know anyone in the city your moving too.

its pretty hard dawg especially if you dont know anyone in the city your moving too.

Originally Posted by babam11218719

I'm looking for a place to go first, then everything should fall into place..  I'm in the medical field and my position ain't too difficult to find..  Finding the desired spot is the big obstacle

Originally Posted by babam11218719

I'm looking for a place to go first, then everything should fall into place..  I'm in the medical field and my position ain't too difficult to find..  Finding the desired spot is the big obstacle

It's difficult.

I relocated with my current company solo. Its tough but you have to get out there. Diving into your job is great, but you have to really get out of your comfort zone in a lot of things.

It's difficult.

I relocated with my current company solo. Its tough but you have to get out there. Diving into your job is great, but you have to really get out of your comfort zone in a lot of things.

lived in houston all my life, leaving next year for the ATL
pimp.gif

Lived in Michigan a majority of my life, planning on moving to So Cal early 2011....dunno how or why, but i feel Imma be stuck here forever...

Lived in Michigan a majority of my life, planning on moving to So Cal early 2011....dunno how or why, but i feel Imma be stuck here forever...

Back
Top Bottom