Refresh my memory , tell me how the GSW dont have Arenas and Jamison again.

Well the GM at the time (not Chris Mullin), had big money players like Adonal Foyle, and Danny Fortson
sick.gif

So they couldn't resign Gil for the money he wanted.

I remember them trading Jamison to Dallas, but don't remember for whom.

You know, they could've had Kobe but they drafted Todd Fuller instead. Look how that worked out.
tongue.gif

So, the lineup could've been (Give or Take due to free agency):

Gil / B Davis
Richardson
Kobe
Jamison
Biedrins

Originally Posted by allen3xis

Gil / B Davis
Richardson
Kobe
Jamison
Biedrins
And they could've afforded that, how?

How are the Celtics able to afford KG, Pierce, and Ray Allen?

KG: 102 million; Pierce: 74 million; Ray Allen: 52 million

Just stating what they could've had, give or take...

I believe that Golden State was unable to offer Arenas as much $ as other teams because they didnt have his "Bird Rights" or something of thatnature.

After some research, a synopsis of the Bird Rights and Arenas situation:

Bird Rights entitle you to sign your own players to any contract up to the league maximum no matter your salary cap situation. These rules kick in a player hasbeen with a team three straight years and with Arenas being a second round pick he didnt get the 3 year deal. Basically the Warriors got screwed because Arenaswas their second round pick and because of their cap situation like someone said all they could offer him was the mid-level exception as a matching offer toany deal that Arenas got on the market.

Originally Posted by FrenchBlue23

Gil / B Davis
Richardson
Kobe
Jamison
Biedrins

They most likely would not have had all those players. They would not have had a high enough pick to get Biedrins and not be able to pay all of those guyswhat they wanted.

They were too much into debt with players like Foyle, Dampier, and Fortson.. Who no one wanted cuz they were making too much money.

So they couldn't offer him the maximum deal. That was my understanding.

Jamison had a max contract, we capped out with that roster (thanks to all the bad contracts) + we had J-Rich, Dunleavy, Murphy and Pietrus developing. Warriorsrealized he won't be a franchise player with his constant switch between sf/pf . Also they were worried about letting rookies slipped like Arenas. So wedealt him for washed up Van Exel (his value blew up with the playoff performance that yr) and a bunch of bums.

we traded jamison because he was signed him to a max contract deal even though he's not a max contract player.
from what i remember it was an addition by subtraction trade because the current roster was filled with horrible horrible long term contracts,
giving no cap flexibility for the future while having no chance for the roster to actually be competitive. they also traded danny fortson and chris mills inthat trade...
two bums that we wanted to dump.

and yea, we lost arenas because we had no room to sign him to the deal he wanted. ($65 million, six-year deal )

That's how the Warriors, roll. They sign players to max deals, then realize their mistake and ship them off. Word to Jamison, Murphy, Dunleavy and Foyle.

damn i still remember that day chuey gomez on 106 kmel announced gil was no longer with the wizards back in like 03.

Originally Posted by FrenchBlue23

Well the GM at the time (not Chris Mullin), had big money players like Adonal Foyle, and Danny Fortson
sick.gif

So they couldn't resign Gil for the money he wanted.

I remember them trading Jamison to Dallas, but don't remember for whom.

You know, they could've had Kobe but they drafted Todd Fuller instead. Look how that worked out.
tongue.gif

So, the lineup could've been (Give or Take due to free agency):

Gil / B Davis
Richardson
Kobe
Jamison
Biedrins

Right. Kobe wasn't going anywhere but LA or NY and everyone in the league knew it.

This is not NBA Live...you can't say that could have possibly had that lineup. Who's to say they are in position to get some of those guys if they atotally different lineup then they actually had at the time?

There is almost a 10 year difference from when Kobe was drafted to when Biedrins was...how anyone could assume that they could have been in the same lineuptogether along with anyone of those guys is ridiculous.

Yeah, we couldn't match the Wizards offer for Arenas. The W's definitely wanted to keep him and part of me thinks Gil wanted to stay. It ended up likeBoozers situation in Cleveland in a way. There were big rumors that Gil was going to sign a 1yr deal, only if he got a face-to-face hand shake from Owner ChrisCohan who had to promise that they would re-sign Arenas to a mega-deal. Cohan never shook Arenas' hand and he eventually signed with Washington.

As for Jamison, he was getting payed franchise money and putting up good stats. However, the W's weren't winning. Murphy had a stellar sophomore yearand many people that Dunleavy had better upside and was a natural SF unlike Jamision. The W's wanted to build around the JRich, Dunleavy, Murphy core.Jamison was the odd man out and you have to remember at the time, the West was loaded at the 4 spot (Duncan, KG, Sheed', Dirk, CWebb, etc).

That argument is moot and overused. Lakers could've drafted Jordan, Pistons could've drafted Melo, yadda yadda.

Man we cant use that argument...

We took Joe Smith over Kevin Garnett I believe... Pretty much besides that draft where we got Arenas and J Rich, we didnt draft well AT ALL.

Doesnt matter anymore, Mullin has righted the ship
pimp.gif

the 01 (or was it 02?) draft of j-rich, gilbert, and troy murphy was one of the best....and the monta ellis pick was good too.

we should have arenas but we didn't have enough money, trading jamison was a salary cap move...he used to be my favorite warrior before j-rich. thejamison-kobe 50 point duel
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by justhotkicks

That argument is moot and overused. Lakers could've drafted Jordan, Pistons could've drafted Melo, yadda yadda.

Really?

Originally Posted by Mw2889

Originally Posted by justhotkicks

Really?

Please explain that one....

Gilbert signed as a free agent after winning the most improved player award

Jamison for Van Exel and I believe some other stuff maybe cash or picks. Van Exel had a monster playoffs that year.

pimp.gif

I remember when he put Shawn Bradley on blast when they got eliminated

EDIT - I don't ever remember the deal being this large
The official said that Dallas, which reached the Western Conference finals last season, had agreed to send Van Exel, Avery Johnson, Evan Eschmeyer and Popeye Jones to Golden State for Jamison, Danny Fortson, Chris Mills and Jiri Welsch.

Back
Top Bottom