3.3 lbs / 1.48 kg
6 hours of continuous usage
Intel[emoji]174[/emoji] Core[emoji]8482[/emoji] processor
4 GB RAM
Built-in dual band Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n, Gigabit ethernet, and 3G modem (opt)1
HD Camera
2 USB 2.0 ports
4-in-1 memory card slot
DisplayPort++ Output (compatible with HDMI, DVI, VGA)
Kensington[emoji]8482[/emoji] key lock compatible

If your lucky a staples near you might have one of these and you can get in on this deal if you're a student

if not i'd wait till sunday & head out for this deal

or if that ones too big you could opt for this

if you must buy from amazon i'd recommend this

or you could get a chromebook (yuck, but it'll get the job done)

Last edited:
OP under 500 dollar windows laptop is gonna be a waste i did that around xmas with some toshiba either xmas or black friday, thing is already actin up

i literally just bought a new ipad

just get that if you just want internet...........

Last edited:
I got a fujitsu for 400 and then a 100 rebate at FRYS. It works great, only downside is that the speakers aren't that great, but at least I can say it does what I need it to do as a student and I paid for it myself.

EDIT: I've had it for about 9 months now.

Last edited:
Target is having a sale next week. Pretty decent laptop if you're not gaming or doing major downloading. $250.

Last edited:
Doesn't have to be from Amazin but I prefer ordering online to avoid paying sales tax

Keep the suggestions coming

Alot of great info dropped here.

I need help myself so hopefully someone could help me out...

I'm heading to graduate school soon and I just need a laptop that I can get on the internet with, do research, make powerpoints and reports and what not. I'm not that technically challenged and I know every laptop out right now can do that but when i'm going through the specs for different laptops some have different processors and graphics cards and yadda yadda.

For a decent all around computing maching, would a intil 2nd gen i5 processor work vs a i3 vs an AMD....someone school me on this.

and do graphics cards even matter if you don't play games like portal or whatnot? Cuz I see some Nvidia geforce cards and other laptops have Intel graphics cards....is there any big difference?

Right now i'm looking at a samsung 3 series vs. a lenovo ideapad/thinkpad....anyone got any recommendations for me?

I peeped toshiba and dell but their a bit pricey....even the inspiron 14z was near $700.

Also is it better to buy directly from the laptop companies website or do commercial stores give you the same deal (warranty, programs, etc?)

for school work & internet browsing you wouldnt need anything better than a i3 but for future proofing you might as well get the i5 especially since they're usually not that much more than an i5 (unless you find a i3 on sale). AMD A6's & up should be good enough as well.

graphics dont matter if your not gaming.
Nvidia>>>intel tho

commercial stores give you the same stuff as the laptop companies do unless stated otherwise and most of the software shipped is bloatware you'll want to get rid of anyway.

the way i use my laptops (PCs) they break in a span of 1.5 years (always on lap/stomach, leave it charging over night, overheating, etc).

Do i bite the bullet and finally get a macbook pro? Should i settle for one of these $300 laptops? Or should i get the chromebook?

the way i use my laptops (PCs) they break in a span of 1.5 years (always on lap/stomach, leave it charging over night, overheating, etc).
Do i bite the bullet and finally get a macbook pro? Should i settle for one of these $300 laptops? Or should i get the chromebook?
If you don't really have the need for an MBP, look at a Macbook Air, they're awesome for the average user. If you want to stick with Windows, Thinkpads are the way to go. Macs also have good resale value, so there's that.

for school work & internet browsing you wouldnt need anything better than a i3 but for future proofing you might as well get the i5 especially since they're usually not that much more than an i5 (unless you find a i3 on sale). AMD A6's & up should be good enough as well.

graphics dont matter if your not gaming.
Nvidia>>>intel tho

commercial stores give you the same stuff as the laptop companies do unless stated otherwise and most of the software shipped is bloatware you'll want to get rid of anyway.
Eh, I had my share of problems with AMDs. My mom bought an Acer laptop with an AMD processor (
mean.gif
) for the family and this thing only lasted about 3 months. I remember having to use the ethernet cable to connect to the internet 'cause the Wi-Fi either didn't work or wasn't included. This was like in '06 though. Good thing I had my HP desktop, I would have never been able to do any assignments or go on NT. I told my mom about the HP and she got lucky and bought an HP laptop for about $350 with warranty (has a good processor (2+ ghz, 2GB ram, 250GB HD)). She's had to go through about 2 adapters and batteries but overall its still in good condition since its been about 2 years since she's bought it. 

Just make sure it the graphics card isn't embedded in the motherboard if you care about upgrading in the future.

Preferably <$400 and from Amazon
Don't need any bells or whistles...basically going to use it for the Internet and not much else
Nexus 7 ...and you'd have an extra $200 for accessories like a "blutetooth keyboard case" and decent satchel.

Back
Top Bottom