Rebuild or buy new transmission

if this is a manual transmission, sounds like your clutch could be slipping along with a noisy throwout bearing. Have it checked out at a local (reputable) repair shop-- they shouldn't charge much, if anything.

The original engine went out. The previous owner put about 350k miles on it LOL. But yea I will have it checked out at a repair shop I hope they won't charge much. I asked because I thought one of you guys had any experiences with this problem. The only thing that was replaced was the engine, timing belt, and clutch. The transmission is the only original part.

The original engine went out. The previous owner put about 350k miles on it LOL. But yea I will have it checked out at a repair shop I hope they won't charge much. I asked because I thought one of you guys had any experiences with this problem. The only thing that was replaced was the engine, timing belt, and clutch. The transmission is the only original part.

Originally Posted by DRJordanFreak88

if this is a manual transmission, sounds like your clutch could be slipping along with a noisy throwout bearing. Have it checked out at a local (reputable) repair shop-- they shouldn't charge much, if anything.

This. If it does end up being one of the bearing you should go ahead and have the other one replaced as well. They're relatively cheap. 

Originally Posted by DRJordanFreak88

This. If it does end up being one of the bearing you should go ahead and have the other one replaced as well. They're relatively cheap. 

Originally Posted by allreds

If the transmission is original, it too had 350k on it which is pretty damn impressive for any car, even a Honda!  All I can say is be VERY careful and do a LOT of research before making a decision.  I spent over $3,000 on a rebuild on the automatic in my 1989 Merkur Scorpio, and the guy totally boned me.  The guy who did the work never told me the shop was changing owners (something he admitted he knew since HE became the new owner himself), so when I started having trouble after only one month, he told me my warranty was null and void because technically the company that did my rebuild didn't exist any more.  Obviously sensing my increasing anger as he told this to me, he decided to re-rebuild the transmission "out of the goodness of his heart".  I had no choice but to take the offer and home things worked out.  They didn't, and I was told he would do not further work on my car because the problem was apparently beyond his abilities to repair.  A not-so-nice conversation ensued of course, but that was that...I had a functioning but leaking transmission and a nice, new $3,000 loan to pay off.

Nearly three years on, the transmission still works, albeit harshly.  It's never stopped leaking, and the only reason it's still working is because the car only gets driven 2k-3k miles per year.  However, the reason I chose to sink so much money into the transmission was so I could up my yearly mileage to 5k-10k per year.  I figured it was a lot of money, but worth it to turn my gently driven show car into a real road warrior.  So much for that.

Next spring when income tax return season comes around I am going to have the entire unit replaced.  Now, nearly a year in advance, I am already doing tons of research and talking to many different people before I make a decision on who is doing the work and what parts I am using.  I am actually contemplating converting the car from an automatic to a manual too.  But before I even pay off the loan on the original rebuild, the car will be in the air again having a transmission overhaul.  This is NOT what you want to happen.  I would never wish this on anyone, it's been a nightmare.

So the moral of this story is to get components you can be certain will be warrantied, and a shop that you've done a lot of reading up on.  I instead was naive, fell for a shop's word hook, line and sinker, and didn't bother on researching the place.  I am paying for it big time. 

Originally Posted by allreds

If the transmission is original, it too had 350k on it which is pretty damn impressive for any car, even a Honda!  All I can say is be VERY careful and do a LOT of research before making a decision.  I spent over $3,000 on a rebuild on the automatic in my 1989 Merkur Scorpio, and the guy totally boned me.  The guy who did the work never told me the shop was changing owners (something he admitted he knew since HE became the new owner himself), so when I started having trouble after only one month, he told me my warranty was null and void because technically the company that did my rebuild didn't exist any more.  Obviously sensing my increasing anger as he told this to me, he decided to re-rebuild the transmission "out of the goodness of his heart".  I had no choice but to take the offer and home things worked out.  They didn't, and I was told he would do not further work on my car because the problem was apparently beyond his abilities to repair.  A not-so-nice conversation ensued of course, but that was that...I had a functioning but leaking transmission and a nice, new $3,000 loan to pay off.

Nearly three years on, the transmission still works, albeit harshly.  It's never stopped leaking, and the only reason it's still working is because the car only gets driven 2k-3k miles per year.  However, the reason I chose to sink so much money into the transmission was so I could up my yearly mileage to 5k-10k per year.  I figured it was a lot of money, but worth it to turn my gently driven show car into a real road warrior.  So much for that.

Next spring when income tax return season comes around I am going to have the entire unit replaced.  Now, nearly a year in advance, I am already doing tons of research and talking to many different people before I make a decision on who is doing the work and what parts I am using.  I am actually contemplating converting the car from an automatic to a manual too.  But before I even pay off the loan on the original rebuild, the car will be in the air again having a transmission overhaul.  This is NOT what you want to happen.  I would never wish this on anyone, it's been a nightmare.

So the moral of this story is to get components you can be certain will be warrantied, and a shop that you've done a lot of reading up on.  I instead was naive, fell for a shop's word hook, line and sinker, and didn't bother on researching the place.  I am paying for it big time. 

Back
Top Bottom