Rebuild or buy new transmission

So NT, another auto question here. My 99 civic ex transmission makes a loud whining noise when i start the car and when im in 3rd gear. The car still runs good but it seems like my HP just went down south. It accelerates really slow and also the noise on top of that. Would it be better to just get a new ****** or rebuild it? Its a 5 speed MT by the way.

So NT, another auto question here. My 99 civic ex transmission makes a loud whining noise when i start the car and when im in 3rd gear. The car still runs good but it seems like my HP just went down south. It accelerates really slow and also the noise on top of that. Would it be better to just get a new ****** or rebuild it? Its a 5 speed MT by the way.

laugh.gif
@ get a new one. 

call around and find one in a junkyard.  they warranty their parts usually.

laugh.gif
@ get a new one. 

Originally Posted by MPLSdunk

laugh.gif
@ get a new one. 

This.

Originally Posted by MPLSdunk

laugh.gif
@ get a new one. 

This.

Are you one of those guys who drive Auto transmission and shift through the gears like you drive manual?

Where do you hear the sounds? How often do you change your ****** oil? Get that done first and see if it still whines in 3rd gear.

As for whinning sounds at startup, those usually equate to belts in the engine.

Are you one of those guys who drive Auto transmission and shift through the gears like you drive manual?

Where do you hear the sounds? How often do you change your ****** oil? Get that done first and see if it still whines in 3rd gear.

Originally Posted by solemunchies

No I am not one of those guys. The sounds really sound like they are coming from the transmission. My friends uncle said there is a high chance that it could be the throttle bearing, or throw bearing whatever you call it. Im no mechanic so what do I know. Bought the car in January and changed the ****** oil in February. And would it cost more to rebuild the ******?

Originally Posted by solemunchies

No I am not one of those guys. The sounds really sound like they are coming from the transmission. My friends uncle said there is a high chance that it could be the throttle bearing, or throw bearing whatever you call it. Im no mechanic so what do I know. Bought the car in January and changed the ****** oil in February. And would it cost more to rebuild the ******?

Originally Posted by allreds

are you at or around 160k on your mileage?

Originally Posted by allreds

are you at or around 160k on your mileage?

The car has a new engine. It is currently at 85k right now. New timing belt also. But the transmission has never been changed. And Mangudai, I really do not know whats wrong with it lol. But I know for sure those noises aren't normal.

The car has a new engine. It is currently at 85k right now. New timing belt also. But the transmission has never been changed. And Mangudai, I really do not know whats wrong with it lol. But I know for sure those noises aren't normal.

if this is a manual transmission, sounds like your clutch could be slipping along with a noisy throwout bearing. Have it checked out at a local (reputable) repair shop-- they shouldn't charge much, if anything.

Back
Top Bottom