Rap groups??? can they still exist

can rap groups ever make a comeback or can there ever be a collective group of rapper that sound good together but also carry there own Example bone thugs they all had the same style but sounded diff. What yall think????

they way things are now, every rapper has a record label and the rappers on that record label have a record label

everybody thinks they're Puffy, doesn't really leave room for a real group situation.

If everybody is playing Master P, who's gonna sign up to be Silk.  

only way it would work is if it's a group of young dudes like oddfuture, but those dudes

all have their subgroups too...

Last edited:
All these different labels i.e. G.O.O.D, Maybach, Young Money, etc. have more or less taken the place of actual rap groups.

Always featured on each other's tracks, collabo albums, etc.

but if there was a group of rappers that actually could spit nd had a nice style they could make sum change with every thing thats new being over hyped these days

It would be nice to actually see that come back, but they way rap/hip hop is set up now, it really doesn't seem possible. Record labels have sort of taken the place of that like RipC said, but it just doesn't have that true group feel. Plus, MMG, GOOD, and YM are basically a whole bunch of individual rappers who are only considered a group cause they're on the same label, not cause they actually have similar qualities and chemistry from song to song (GOOD does this better than the other two, but still...)

Just tale all 3 of those labels compilation albums...it's mostly just a bunch of random bangers and such with no real uniting feel (GOOD does his better, but...). The closest actual groups you have currently (that are either buzzing or on the radar) are A$AP Mob and Odd Future, and to a lesser extent, Black Hippy (only saying lesser cause they don't have a full length studio album, an official mixtape.)

I'm always on the lookout for groups though, cause in this day, they're basically throwbacks. Still waiting on some Cormega/Action Bronson/Roc Marciano/Saigon group stuff :nerd:

Don't know how in the world I missed Slaughterhouse 6ringsMJ :smh:

Last edited:
they way things are now, every rapper has a record label and the rappers on that record label have a record label
everybody thinks they're Puffy, doesn't really leave room for a real group situation.
If everybody is playing Master P, who's gonna sign up to be Silk.  
only way it would work is if it's a group of young dudes like oddfuture, but those dudes
all have their subgroups too...

this, too many chiefs and not enough indians. everyone is a boss now. :rolleyes

Last edited:
Slaughterhouse-LA-Leakers-550x335.jpg

I though slaughterhouse will be the group that will bring back the rap groups..

It comes down to everyone trying to be the star now. If there is going to be a successful group everyone has to be on the same page, bring their own style, but at the same time fit into a group chemistry. Slaughterhouse fits that mold perfectly, imo.

I know a lot of people aren't fans, but Odd Future has a good group dynamic too. I feel like they each bring their own style with solo projects, but when they put out collab tapes / albums their chemistry is on point. You have different styles of rap & then R&B as well with Frankie & Syd.

Last edited:
On point. I agree with you on Odd future too. Id say that ASAP Mob fits that mold also to a certain extent. They each have their own unique style and great chemistry.

the wu is a great example they kinda got the best members back together cuz they realized they make more money together..they might hate each others guts but hey, the fans love it..look at what 3 6 mafia did they got rid of all the irrelevant members and narrowed it down to 2..
laugh.gif

they come out as a group but those people have their own managers or their own people telling them that they could do better alone or working with other artists..

so they start doing their own thing and the group thing kinda gets left in the dust if theyre all doing great for themselves if not then they go back to what was makin em money being a group.

All these different labels i.e. G.O.O.D, Maybach, Young Money, etc. have more or less taken the place of actual rap groups.
Always featured on each other's tracks, collabo albums, etc.
this says it all...the "clique" business model is much more profitable than the old rap group/band model.....

There is no such thing as a group anymore. These days it's all just crews. Just because four solo dudes come together and make some albums doesn't make them a group because they're still putting out solo albums. I'd love to see just a group come out as a group and stay a group. Back in the day EPMD, Tribe Called Quest, Public Enemy, Run-DMC were all amazing and never had as much success when they split and went the solo route. Start as a group and stay a group, that's what I want to hear.

too many egos in hip hop. I doubt any rap group would be taken seriously, or usually one member blows up and ditches the rest.

The thing is rap groups don't fit the music mold of the current mainstream sound. You can probably find nice rap groups who are independent but mainstream wise they just don't grab the ear of the public. For example, Slaughterhouse is an amazing rap group but they can't make it as a mainstream rap group because nobody wants to hear that type of music.

As the late great ODB once said.... Wu Tang is FOREVER

Fingers crossed for a 20th Anniversary album next fall.. the group album that brings back group albums

Back to the subject.. I definitely consider labels nowadays to be like groups... G.O.O.D., YMCMB. But then you do have ASAP and Salughterhouse.. the game is bigger than it was so your gonna have different approaches to the whole group thing

Back
Top Bottom