Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

ADVERTISEMENT​

Again you don't know anything about Canada which I get. So I'll explain this one time.

Canada for much of its early history had a much tighter immigration policy than American for example. Very little immigration in the 30s and 40s. (In fact the Chinese exclusion act specifically restricted immigration from Asia.)

This changed in the 1970s, a huge push to expand the population and grow the economy.

In Toronto much of that early wave of immigration came from the Carribean. Which obviously spawned a large communities, which made even more attractive to future immigrants from the Carribean. You got huge pockets of Jamaicans, Guyanese, Bahamian, ect

the immigrants from the Carribean in Toronto have been here longer than, and are more embded in the culture than the more recent east and south Asian immigrants. Which has made their culture much more embedded and influential, not to mention Carribanna weekend is probably the biggest cultural event in the city. So the Carribean diaspora is BY FAR the most visible and influential immigrant group in the city. Also being from anglophone former British colonies their influence on language is more impactful than people from non English speaking countries.

Then you add hiphop to the mix.

Because the majority of black people here are from the Carribean, Canadian hip hop is obviously highly influenced by Carribean culture.if you grew up in Canada at drakes age basically ALL of the biggest hip hop acts are children of Carribean immigrants. Kardinal Offishal, K-Os, Jellestone, Choclair ect. These people are performing music that combines African American vernacular English with Carribean culture.

Hiphop becomes the most popular form of music and makes Carribean influence even MORE powerful.

Another big influence in Toronto slang and lingo is arabic seaking people, and east Africans. Especially Somalian people's who also immigrated in large numbers. Immigrant communities in Toronto usually are combinations of people from the Carribean, arabic speaking people, and white immegrants from Portugal and Italy. South Asian came later.

So overtime a Toronto multicultural English vernacular developed. Which is essentially a mix of southern Ontario white English, various Carribean cultures and arabic slang, and African American vernacular English.

So in Toronto you will meet people of all backgrounds speak in this way/use the slag.

I've heard an Asian dude say "say whalahi" and I've heard a Chilean girl say "likkle" it's all part of the slang/culture. It's not gated or segregated.

TLDR;

Immigrants from the Carribean have been here longer, and hip hop becoming the most popular form of music has made Carribean influence on langue more powerful than other immigrant groups. Arabic slang is also very influential.

buddy I asked if you do other accents

Ima guess the answer is no

osh kosh bosh osh kosh bosh ,

Serious question. When did Toronto start playing up the forced accent that is a mix of carribean-Somali-UK etc influence? I know some folks from there, and they said that **** is more recent :lol:

I know SOME people talk like that, but when did it become the dominant go-to for a certain demo of ppl in Toronto? Serious question

Easy; Tiktok and social media.

Drake became popular, and around if your reading this and more life time started working the Toronto accent into his music.

Americans were exposed to it little by little, then tiktok gets popular.

People realized Americans were unfamiliar with this accent and you could get views an likes on social doing skits playing up and exaggerating this accent.

Toronto kids like all kids live on tiktok, so they start listening to exaggerated version of the accent and slang and it influences them to be more exaggerated and extra with it on social.

The Snowd4y guy is a comedian who is doing a parody of the "Toronto manz" archetype. The songs is like one long inside joke hitting every Toronto meme / joke. So obviously

Drakes part is obviously part of the joke hitting all the Toronto manz memes and stereotypes.

Point is the song isn't mocking Jamaicans it's parodying "Toronto manz" archetype .

it's actually Toronto people making jokes about Toronto people.

I totally get why Americans don't get and don't think it's funny. It's basically one long inside joke.

This is actually spot on. Just answered my question below.

But When did this all happen tho? Seems like somewhere in the 2010s, the Toronto Accent as we know it now, hit. I know people my age from up there, and they really weren’t talking like THAT. Must be some younger demo **** too, with social media.

Social media exaggtes everything. Kids realize you could get likes and go viral playing up the accent.

Kids live on tiktok and now the paradoy version starts influence them.

And it becomes a vicious circle of exaggeration.

buddy I asked if you do other accents

Ima guess the answer is no
I'm begging you improve your reading comprehension.

The Toronto accents is its own thing. It is not a "Jamaican accent"

Toronto accent does incorporate other dialects and slang. Specifically East African / Somali arabic slang. As well as African American vernacular English. And souther Ontario English.

Drake obviously having fun and trolling with the record. The feature is doing what it’s suppose to do. Going viral, gaining attention, and probably streams too.
I actually think its kinda catchy. Drake has been doing accents for about 14 years and ****** now want to write think pieces about it smh.
Your consistency is admirable :lol:

The Snowd4y guy is a comedian who is doing a parody of the "Toronto manz" archetype. The songs is like one long inside joke hitting every Toronto meme / joke. So obviously
I just realized who that guy is. He isn't even from Toronto. He admitted before he acts/talks like that online for likes/views/engagement. You're right tho, it's due to social media.

This is actually spot on. Just answered my question below.

But When did this all happen tho? Seems like somewhere in the 2010s, the Toronto Accent as we know it now, hit. I know people my age from up there, and they really weren’t talking like THAT. Must be some younger demo **** too, with social media.
Goes back to the late 90's and early 2000's tbh. By the late 2000's, the slang had already spread amongst the youth in places like Ottawa and Montreal, for English speakers there.

Spent a bit of time in Ottawa around that time period (07/08 ) and you would hear things like 'Wallahi' and 'Jah knows'/'Wagwan' incessantly amongst the kids :lol:

What you hear now on socials might be getting attention beyond the country now but that bastardized way of talking and mishmash of accents/slang has very much been around long before tiktok and twitter. Firstly among the urban youths of those origins but it inevitably spread to the suburban ones like 15-20 years ago

I'm begging you improve your reading comprehension.

The Toronto accents is its own thing. It is not a "Jamaican accent"

Toronto accent does incorporate other dialects and slang. Specifically East African / Somali arabic slang. As well as African American vernacular English. And souther Ontario English.

I simply asked if yall you do other accents :lol: your head so far up your own *** you couldn’t comprehend a simple question

I ain’t ask for the history of the mandem

Easy; Tiktok and social media.

Drake became popular, and around if your reading this and more life time started working the Toronto accent into his music.

Americans were exposed to it little by little, then tiktok gets popular.

People realized Americans were unfamiliar with this accent and you could get views an likes on social doing skits playing up and exaggerating this accent.

Toronto kids like all kids live on tiktok, so they start listening to exaggerated version of the accent and slang and it influences them to be more exaggerated and extra with it on social.

Drakes part is obviously part of the joke hitting all the Toronto manz memes and stereotypes.

Point is the song isn't mocking Jamaicans it's parodying "Toronto manz" archetype .

it's actually Toronto people making jokes about Toronto people.

I totally get why Americans don't get and don't think it's funny. It's basically one long inside joke.

Ahh I seeS Ppl do that with the Baltimore Accent now.

I hate it :lol:. My mans got a homeboy that’s a barber, and he went crazy viral. Some people in this world really think ******s talk like that :lol:

This ***** even sold a book (something for dummies) kinda smart play for real lol

Goes back to the late 90's and early 2000's tbh. By the late 2000's, the slang had already spread amongst the youth in places like Ottawa and Montreal, for English speakers there.

Spent a bit of time in Ottawa around that time period (07/08 ) and you would hear things like 'Wallahi' and 'Jah knows'/'Wagwan' incessantly amongst the kids :lol:

What you hear now on socials might be getting attention beyond the country now but that bastardized way of talking and mishmash of accents/slang has very much been around long before tiktok and twitter. Firstly among the urban youths of those origins but it inevitably spread to the suburban ones like 15-20 years ago

I mean more so the inflection and tone of voice etc. What you’re describing, I’m familiar with and makes sense.

What osh kosh bosh osh kosh bosh is talking about is like the “Toronto Manz” thing. And a subset of youth really talk like this. But these *****s were not talking like this, until like 2016, so it’s kinda weird.

Like I’m sure if you asked Osh and all his folks how they spoke all their lives, this **** is more new to them too.

It’s a crazy mix.

I mean more so the inflection and tone of voice etc. What you’re describing, I’m familiar with and makes sense.

What osh kosh bosh osh kosh bosh is talking about is like the “Toronto Manz” thing. And a subset of youth really talk like this. But these *****s were not talking like this, until like 2016, so it’s kinda weird.

Like I’m sure if you asked Osh and all his folks how they spoke all their lives, this **** is more new to them too.

It’s a crazy mix.

The uptalking, upward inflection comes white southern Ontario influence.

All accents have this, people who get on social and force it/exaggerated it for likes.

There was that Asian woman right claiming to be from Atlanta saying "conebread" right?

I saw some twitter post of Memphis people saying Glorilla was exaggerating the Memphis accent (I have no idea if this is true)

I didn't grow up in Toronto, so I've observed the evolution living here for 10 years. My girl is from the hood, and grew up with the lingo and accent heavy. All her childhood friends when they are around each other it comes out HEAVY I laugh, she doesn't even realize it

But She hates it and thinks these kids are forcing it for likes.

But I have more sympathy to the kids,

the way you speak is going to be influenced by the people you are around AND the media you consume. If kids are on tiktok all day listening to wild exaggerated versions of their own accent, after a while it becomes real. :lol:

These vids they are def playing it up, but being around some high school aged kids, they def have a more exaggerated version than my girlfriend for example.

There's a growing generation divide.

Ahh I seeS Ppl do that with the Baltimore Accent now.

I hate it :lol:. My mans got a homeboy that’s a barber, and he went crazy viral. Some people in this world really think ******s talk like that :lol:

This ***** even sold a book (something for dummies) kinda smart play for real lol

You know it's funny, I have cousins from Baltimore, when I was a kid we spend summer visiting all my American cousins. We'd basically drive to New York- new jersey-DC-then end in Baltimore.

I've been in Baltimore pretty every summer as a kid.

I don't remember any of them sounding like this. :lol:

But again I think an accent that goes viral on social is gunna distort the original accent in a more exaggerated way.

Anddddd as expected hearing drake and future back cool or at least talking 😂😂😂

That’s from your Niketalk rumor report

Anddddd as expected hearing drake and future back cool or at least talking 😂😂😂

That’s from your Niketalk rumor report
martin3.png

Please don't let this happen, 🙏🏾🙏🏾🙏🏾

Back
Top Bottom