Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

Em was rapping about politics, poverty and pain. I don’t think a lot of his music was for kids besides a catchy single or two he made for the album.

No he was totally for kids, because adult black people weren't listening to him.

He was dying his hair blond, using corny voices and was a pop artist appearing on TRL. He was in the same lane as Brittney Spears and N'Sync.

Em wasn't ****in Public Enemy.

Daylyt is an interesting dude man :lol:. People thought he was lying about really being good friends with Nipsey since childhood, and it turned out to be true. They thought he was lying about being nice in basketball, and it turns out he’s nice as **** :lol:. They thought he was trolling about hooping with R Kelly, and it turns out to be true :lol:. I feel like he’s who Tyler the creator persona, wants to be. Talented, comedic troll, who’s a real artist that’s deeply embedded in the LA culture, but does his town thing.

So I wouldn’t be surprised at all, if he wrote back to back. Drake was poaching battle rappers back then too.

If we’re talking pure lyrical ability it’s hard to find anyone better than dude. He’s an alien.

No he was totally for kids, because adult black people weren't listening to him.

He was dying his hair blond, using corny voices and was a pop artist appearing on TRL. He was in the same lane as Brittney Spears and N'Sync.

Em wasn't ****in Public Enemy.

Incorrect, you didn’t listen to him and that’s fine. Other adults did.

He had gimmicky commercial singles to sell records. My Name Is, Just Lose It, Without Me are all songs aimed to sell records but his albums were deep as hell and for adults. He also talked about politics, depression, pain from his childhood. He masked some of his suffering with jokes and laughs but his music is a cry for help. Let’s not act like he was rapping like Drake or Macklemore or Post Malone. Everyone around Em says it’s harder to find a person that loves and respects hip hop the way Em does.

Black people wasn't listening to Em LIKE THAT. We don't listen to kill your mom music.

This is everyone’s go to line and it’s goofy.

Mad rappers had issues with their mom on their albums, he expressed it differently.

Most of us were listening to Em until Encore. The first three albums were undeniable and he had the biggest co-signs from every rapper and producer that mattered.

Incorrect, you didn’t listen to him and that’s fine. Other adults did.

He had gimmicky commercial singles to sell records. My Name Is, Just Lose It, Without Me are all songs aimed to sell records but his albums were deep as hell and for adults. He also talked about politics, depression, pain from his childhood. He masked some of his suffering with jokes and laughs but his music is a cry for help. Let’s not act like he was rapping like Drake or Macklemore or Post Malone. Everyone around Em says it’s harder to find a person that loves and respects hip hop the way Em does.

No, he was for kids. We don't relate to talking about your mom and hardships in the trailer park.

I don't care how much he loves and respects music, his music wasn't for us.

So I heard the new Em track earlier but I saw some of the responses in here and was preparing for the worst, but it seems it's a little bit listenable compared to his other stuff after the first three albums.

I mean it's still trash, but not like dumpster juice trash.

His flow is decent and slowed down and he isn't trying to fit 10 syllables in a bar at least.

I'm not going to deny and front like I wasn't rocking with Em up until 8 mile.

But everything after Em Show and 8 mile soundtrack has been so bad compared to his old self.

I had a CD back in the day with like freestyles of Em and still to this day he's one of the nicest to touch the mic, but like the other poster said he's come to his end... to us in here which is like what 10-20 people.

But, he's breaking every streaming record and sales record to this day more than any other artists and I guess that's giving him the assurance that he's still nice.

F it... get your coin Marshall lol

Mad rappers had issues with their mom on their albums, he expressed it differently.

Most of us were listening to Em until Encore. The first three albums were undeniable and he had the biggest co-signs from every rapper and producer that mattered.

No, most of us weren't. Most of US in this thread have told you we weren't.

and the ones that did were 13 when they were doing it.

Stan, Lose Yourself, My Name Is, The Real Slim Shady, Forgot about Dre and Without Me are probably the only Eminem songs I ever listened to outside of some freestyles I downloaded on Kazaa.

I can't even tell you what albums those songs are on; I just watched them because the videos were on tv.

Ya, some of these takes are hilarious.

DMX opened up a song telling us that he had blood on his meat because he F'd a corpse and I don't think anyone gave a single damn :lol:

We drawing the line @ mommy issues in Em's music, tho...

When you have someone like Rakim singing your praises, you're pretty undeniable, doesn't really matter what a bunch of avatars on a message board think.

Last edited:
Ya, some of these takes are hilarious.

DMX opened up a song telling us that he had blood on his meat because he F'd a corpse and I don't think anyone gave a single damn :lol:

We drawing the line @ of mommy issues in Em's music, tho...

When you have someone like Rakim singing your praises, you're pretty undeniable, doesn't really matter what a bunch of avatars on a message board think.

Don't you listen to Drake?

Talking about TRL as a sleight on Em is weird as hell too. 50, Snoop, Nelly, Diddy, Usher, Luda, many others all appeared on that crap show to promote themselves when they were topping the charts.

Talking about “us” is weird too. Speak for yourself and your own tastes instead of making it into some needless racial thing. You don’t do the numbers Em did without tapping into a variety of racial and socioeconomic groups.

Talking about “us” is weird too. Speak for yourself and your own tastes instead of making it into some needless racial thing. You don’t do the numbers Em did without tapping into a variety of racial and socioeconomic groups.
Sure but his primary demographic is and always has been white people. There's a reason the "I don't like hiphop, I like Eminem though" argument is so common.
(I'm white)

Sure but his primary demographic is and always has been white people. There's a reason the "I don't like hiphop, I like Eminem though" argument is so common.
(I'm white)
Never heard anyone say that, but also haven’t listened to an Eminem album in probably 15 years and generally don’t talk music with friends who only listen to what’s popular cause their taste is trash regardless of the genre. Wouldn’t even call someone who says “I dont like X genre but I listen to Y artist” a music fan. That’s how ignorant dopes talk.

And let’s be real to do the numbers Eminem was doing, you had to cross racial demographics. No way Get Rich didn’t tap into white dollars to sell as many copies as it did in 03.

I love music and never tried to dismiss someone’s appeal or legitimacy over race. It’s a weird flex. What’s definitely true is Eminem’s music nosedived but there’s very few hip-hop artists who have delivered the goods over multiple decades.

Nobody said having issues with your mom is the problem. It's him expressing he wanted to kill his mom on audio. We don't rock with that.

Never heard anyone say that, but also haven’t listened to an Eminem album in probably 15 years and generally don’t talk music with friends who only listen to what’s popular cause their taste is trash regardless of the genre. Wouldn’t even call someone who says “I dont like X genre but I listen to Y artist” a music fan. That’s how ignorant dopes talk.

And let’s be real to do the numbers Eminem was doing, you had to cross racial demographics. No way Get Rich didn’t tap into white dollars to sell as many copies as it did in 03.

I love music and never tried to dismiss someone’s appeal or legitimacy over race. It’s a weird flex. What’s definitely true is Eminem’s music nosedived but there’s very few hip-hop artists who have delivered the goods over multiple decades.
Obviously with those numbers there's a substantial demographic overlap. I do agree with the overall point that there is and always has been a disconnect between Eminem's music (specifically his gimmicky 'shockjock' content) and the black hiphop demographic.

When you look at the influence Eminem has had on hiphop, the disconnect is even clearer.
White rappers in general, Hopsin, ...
These are the kind of rappers his influence has produced. People who make hiphop for people who don't like hiphop.

Nobody said having issues with your mom is the problem. It's him expressing he wanted to kill his mom on audio. We don't rock with that.
See this is what I’m talking about. You know a lot of white people who “rock with that”? Dude was universally condemned for those lines. So who is we?!

Back
Top Bottom