Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

And face lawsuits with all these lil _'s beef'n. Nope.
This would be like having the Soul Train awards.

The Source is what? Is it even a website?

The price of insuring and hiring security for all these rap degenerates wouldn't even be worth it.

BET and Rolling Loud ain’t been hit with no grand lawsuit for all the shenanigans that have taken place at their stuff

The Source now is dead but culturally “The Source Awards” means/meant something because of the Suge/Snoop moment and the general aesthetic/vibe the show had. **** might as well been the UPN awards lol and an awards show with that feel (modernized) would flourish today

_'s hated on Jay starting a streaming service now y'all want him to do award show?

You leaving out how he marketed TIDAL though. It was on some save the poor artists type ****. In retrospect he was right (given streaming rates across the three major services) but that was horrible marketing to try and get us to feel sorry for a bunch of major label artists.

If he just had Chance, a few more independent rappers (or seemingly unsigned rappers, someone like Uzi in 2015 would have worked) and then whatever indie white pop/rock mfs that were popping at the time and just attached himself for name recognition, the perception woulda been totally different. You can’t roll out a sympathy campaign with Kanye West and Madonna lol

BET and Rolling Loud ain’t been hit with no grand lawsuit for all the shenanigans that have taken place at their stuff

The Source now is dead but culturally “The Source Awards” means/meant something because of the Suge/Snoop moment and the general aesthetic/vibe the show had. **** might as well been the UPN awards lol and an awards show with that feel (modernized) would flourish today

You leaving out how he marketed TIDAL though. It was on some save the poor artists type ****. In retrospect he was right (given streaming rates across the three major services) but that was horrible marketing to try and get us to feel sorry for a bunch of major label artists.

If he just had Chance, a few more independent rappers (or seemingly unsigned rappers, someone like Uzi in 2015 would have worked) and then whatever indie white pop/rock mfs that were popping at the time and just attached himself for name recognition, the perception woulda been totally different. You can’t roll out a sympathy campaign with Kanye West and Madonna lol

I don't see this as "Oh feel sorry for us". I don't know where you got that from.

Tidal was actually paying artists more than every other streaming. Your criticism is another reason why some of these big names don't do more. It's always gonna be something.

"Why you ain't use this rapper???"

Why does that matter? Is that important in the big picture?

I don't see this as "Oh feel sorry for us". I don't know where you got that from.

Tidal was actually paying artists more than every other streaming. Your criticism is another reason why some of these big names don't do more. It's always gonna be something.

"Why you ain't use this rapper???"

Why does that matter? Is that important in the big picture?

I personally didn’t mind it and I never said I did. I was just saying marketing wise that’s why TIDAL’s concept of “we pay more than all the other services” + we cost more wasn’t received well

It was priced much higher than other streaming services with the selling point being hi-fi audio and the implication that artists would be paid more. If they do the video you just posted with lower tier/indie artists the message of “we pay artists more” goes over better, but that’s overall a vague Roc nation brunch *** video where they saying a bunch of nothing anyway lol

It matters in the big picture because that’s why it didn’t work to the point of you saying “y’all hated on Hov for starting a streaming service” lol

“We” aren’t the ones who wrote these type of articles

Reception​

Shortly after Tidal's launch and press conference, the mobile version of the service shot to the top 20 of the U.S. iPhone Apps chart. Following criticism for its "out-of-touch marketing campaign", two weeks later, the app had already fallen out of the top 700 rankings of the same list.

I personally didn’t mind it and I never said I did. I was just saying marketing wise that’s why TIDAL’s concept of “we pay more than all the other services” + we cost more wasn’t received well

It was priced much higher than other streaming services with the selling point being hi-fi audio and the implication that artists would be paid more. If they do the video you just posted with lower tier/indie artists the message of “we pay artists more” goes over better, but that’s overall a vague Roc nation brunch *** video where they saying a bunch of nothing anyway lol

It matters in the big picture because that’s why it didn’t work to the point of you saying “y’all hated on Hov for starting a streaming service” lol

“We” aren’t the ones who wrote these type of articles

It was people in this thread sh'n on Tidal. Folks on Twitter. If you was on social media you saw it. People was pocket watching and ****, "why we gotta make Jay Z richer" **** like that.

Point is we can't be asking dudes to do this and do that and when they try to make moves _'s act weird.

It definitely had a marketing problem

They needed something else to differentiate it from Spotify and Apple versus we'll make more streaming. Maybe biweekly live concerts or interaction from said artist. It might could have at least pushed Spotify to give them higher percentages versus giving that money to Joe Rogan and Bill Simmons.

1. S/o killer mike. Only album in that group that deserved a grammy
2. I use tidal. It was kool when they had exclusive concerts and pods but seems all that was killed after the first few years. Hov still aint put out that b sides 2 show.
3. Im def in to see usher. I bet he puts on an amazing show.

People were loving KD3 when it came out and there’s been zero talk of it in here. I get it though, wasn’t even Nas’ best album of the past year.

1707240425392.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom