Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

Agree with you 100%. But I’ve seen what it looks like to not have that preparation through no fault of your own though. That’s all I’m saying. Its young brothers out here that are just living what was presented to them that don’t have a clue how this world works for real. There’s a whole other level to poverty that folks don’t seem to understand unless you’ve seen it yourself imo. Imo that’s what thug and them dudes come from. I wont clog up the thread anymore though.

As far the “preparation” goes there’s a certain point in every person’s life where any and every kind of somewhat sympathy runs out. We look at and view a 13 year old differently than a 23 year old, and even a 33 year old correct?? With that being said ALL these dudes are grown men and will be treated as such…..except for the dog of course. Petsmart is on the way for Fido.

Lastly, in regards to poverty……our parents, grandparents, especially great-grand parents actually experienced poverty. These dudes of today got satellite TV and free Wifi to help educate them and put them in a better place with TONS of knowledge at their fingertips. Instead they choose to put threats out online and voluntarily indict themselves with their foolish behavior. That’s why for me personally I can’t rock with your “please understand my circumstance” stance, respectfully.

As far the “preparation” goes there’s a certain point in every person’s life where any and every kind of somewhat sympathy runs out. We look at and view a 13 year old differently than a 23 year old, and even a 33 year old correct?? With that being said ALL these dudes are grown men and will be treated as such…..except for the dog of course. Petsmart is on the way for Fido.

Lastly, in regards to poverty……our parents, grandparents, especially great-grand parents actually experienced poverty. These dudes of today got satellite TV and free Wifi to help educate them and put them in a better place with TONS of knowledge at their fingertips. Instead they choose to put threats out online and voluntarily indict themselves with their foolish behavior. That’s why for me personally I can’t rock with your “please understand my circumstance” stance, respectfully.
Respect. I completely understand your perspective. We’ll agree to disagree though. I’ve seen firsthand how these folks think and it ain’t as easy as the privileged perspective that we’ve been afforded. It’s truly like a blanket of ignorance.

Boosie said it best, “I told momma I’m thuggin outside, we don’t need cable”.

EquatorialDentalIndianrockpython-size_restricted.gif

Gunna phone probably exploded from all the nonstop calls he been getting since Monday.

Both of you are making a point, and both points have validity.

There are systemic institutions in place that will lead Blacks down terrible paths to poverty and self destruction. It’s convenient for the masses to ignore the underlying root causes of the plight.

But also, Black people have to be aware by now, and as such should hold themselves to a different standard so as to not end up in the same pitfalls that have plagued the community for decades.

Two things can be true.

Feel like the new Kendrick song addresses a lot of the discussion in the last few pages of this thread.

Is it fair to say also that the entertainment between music and movies that the youth is coming up on isnt helping? When rappers are glorifying murder, guns, gangs, etc, and impressionable minds listen to it day in and day out, it’s going to have an effect on their mentality as well.

But if we want to bring the conversation back to institutionalism and white folks not playing fair, there’s a reason these labels push and use these rappers that promote these negative things. The major labels aren’t looking to put conscious rap on the radio or push it to a larger audience, they push what they push for a reason.

Last edited:
My kid is soon to be 5. He's a big Dave (UK) fan because I'm a big Dave fan and through our shared fandom we've become fans of Fredo.

We were relaxing yesterday watching Fredos Daily Duppy freestyle when my kid caught him mention he (Fredo) spent time in jail...

Do you know how hard it is to explain to a 4 year old that yes some of his heroes spent time in jail and it's not a cool/ good thing?

It was a surreal moment for me.

Last edited:
My kid is soon to be 5. He's a big Dave (UK) fan because I'm a big Dave fan and through our shared fandom we've become fans of Fredo.

We were relaxing yesterday watching Fredos Daily Duppy freestyle when my kid caught him mention he (Fredo) spent time in jail...

Do you know how hard it is to explain to a 4 year old that yes some of his heroes spent time in jail and it's not a cool/ good thing?

Think this is gonna be hard for me as well but Im gonna give my best shot at it when that time comes man.

Wild cuz as a shorty I just KNEW better, there werent any conversations that me and my Dad had that kinda directed me in a sense that jail/crime is bad. But at the same time, my Dad worked in the probation/corrections field all his life, so I think by default it was engrained in me on what was good and what was unacceptable by how I was raised. I never had that wake up call that these convos needed to be had until my teenage Nephew would randomly hit me up and ask questions about life and topics like this and Im sittin there tryna put on that "wise adult hat". Then I reflect like damn I never had these convos with my Dad, but at the same time I was aware of what was wrong/right. I guess it was just the parenting style they raised me to where it was embedded in me, but never specifically stated aloud "Dont do this".

Im glad you were able to have that moment with your son, and even at such a young age Im sure it resonated with him. I have a kiddo as well and even though I dont have many examples to look back on when I had these discussions with My Pops, Im gonna make sure Im as prepared as possible if it does get presented to me.

This too…was wicked :smh:

Yeah man. Dreamville or not. When people see a group of black man moving around, they automatically presume you're up to no good.

I agree, but people can be wrongly jailed. Look at Garvey, Hampton and King. Thats a whole other discussion you may and probably will have with your kid and see that the reason why they went to jail is vastly different from some self serving reason why another may have wanted to. He will soon start to see who looks more of a hero then.

Last edited:
I agree, but people can be wrongly jailed. Look at Garvey, Hampton and King. Thats a whole other discussion you may and probably will have with your kid and see that the reason why they went to jail is vastly different from some self serving reason why another may have wanted to. He will soon start to see who looks more of a hero then.
My bruddah I get it but thats an even deeper conversation about how the system can be set up for us to fail. He's so young I don't really wanna put that on him.

For now it just made me question why we glorify jail (in Fredo's case, while it wasn't the glorification of jail, you could confuse his raps with wearing his time as a badge of honor). Even as I type this it forces me to consider how villified it has become to be black. Even our brothers across the pond look at jail as a part of the culture (which it shouldn't be).

My kid hasn't learned aboout Garvey, Hampton, or King in a deep sense yet. Those conversations are sure to happen but I guess as a dad I'm enjoying watching his innocense still.

Crazy that Kevin Samuels died in Atlanta on the same day the city proclaimed May 5th Strength of a Woman Day.

Mary J’s concert Saturday night was fire tho, might be the best festival the city has going right now. Chaka khan doing through the fire and ain’t nobody was the highlight. Old skool legendary stuff.

My bruddah I get it but thats an even deeper conversation about how the system can be set up for us to fail. He's so young I don't really wanna put that on him.

For now it just made me question why we glorify jail (in Fredo's case, while it wasn't the glorification of jail, you could confuse his raps with wearing his time as a badge of honor). Even as I type this it forces me to consider how villified it has become to be black. Even our brothers across the pond look at jail as a part of the culture (which it shouldn't be).

My kid hasn't learned aboout Garvey, Hampton, or King in a deep sense yet. Those conversations are sure to happen but I guess as a dad I'm enjoying watching his innocense still.
Check out Bobby Kasanga. He has his own podcast/media channel where he interviews a bunch of artist and well known former street dudes in the UK.

Kasanga was a goon himself. Ended up starting his own football club, turning his life around writing books etc. He use to be a footballer who was doing licks, mashing works and robbing atms, check cashings etc. He dropped a bunch of videos talking about his life and some of the antics he was involved in and his reasoning as to how he got involved etc. He was featured on a podcast and briefly touched on his story.

Back
Top Bottom