Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

Btnh will lose.

hiphop has collectively ignored their genius for years. This will be no different.

I don't automatically associate backpack with underground. Even then Kanye was doing songs with Little Brother when nobody else would.

To me Lupe was a backpack rapper and went platinum and on tours too.

Now Ye could've been thinking he was faking it but dude blended in with the rest of them. Those first 2 (3 really) albums don't scream super mainstream or commercial rapper. Especially when he linked up with Common.

He may have been aiming for that Mase lane but he didn't really start there. To me he always stuck out among Jay-Z, Beans, and Cam on the Roc.

There's definitely more than one lane but what was Kanye when he came out then?

He was a rapper, just like Mase was a rapper, Loon.

There were millions of rappers who didn't necessarily talk street **** and weren't gangsta. That **** existed forever in hip hop. So Kid N Play and Will Smith were backpack rappers? What about LL? Naw, they were mainstream as hell. Outkast and Tribe were backpack rappers going platinum? Nobody ever said Eminem was backpack because he came from the Outsidaz and grew up from underground rap.

That backpack **** was a term like gangsta rap made by people who didn't know about rap and weren't a part of the culture and need to label something. That's why it quickly went away, because it was never authentic and accurate in the first place. Like Neo Soul.

And backpack was synonymous with underground rap and the Rawkus lane. It was supposed to be "real" and lyrical rap. What was lyrical about Kanye, his ghostwriters? That's why nobody comments on J Cole or Kendrick being backpack rappers. They're just rappers, same as what Kanye was.

Lil Reese might be finished. Hasn't released a good project since Supa Savage II.

Damn Bentley was writing his rhymes? :smh:
He was a rapper, just like Mase was a rapper, Loon.
Even Mase and Look had a name for their lanes and even more specifically the sound of those two. It went from slick talking shiny suit rappers to specifically a style Mase made his own to the point anybody rapping close to him were called his son/cut from his cloth/same DNA (Fab).

There were millions of rappers who didn't necessarily talk street **** and weren't gangsta. That **** existed forever in hip hop. So Kid N Play and Will Smith were backpack rappers?
Backpack rap was not a label in the 80s like that. I wouldn't apply it to pioneers and dudes who are basically forefathers to that style. Even then some of that style is a part of backpack rap.

What about LL? Naw, they were mainstream as hell.
LL was mainstream. Damn near commercial but it's not like he didn't also delve in to some hardcore ****.

Like I agreed with you, there are more than two labels. So I don't get you asking me about LL after I asked you about Kanye and Lupe.

Outkast and Tribe were backpack rappers going platinum?
No. Outlast were southern rappers in the 90s much more closer to that funk sound than backpack rap. This should be obvious.

Tribe is another group that basically birthed the style though.
Nobody ever said Eminem was backpack because he came from the Outsidaz and grew up from underground rap.
Cuz he wasn't.

Eminem literally created his own ******** hate your mom style of rap. If anything a lot if it has roots in horrorcore rap where you say a bunch of wild ****

Again you did you miss where I agreed that there are more than two styles of rap?

That backpack **** was a term like gangsta rap made by people who didn't know about rap and weren't a part of the culture and need to label something. That's why it quickly went away, because it was never authentic and accurate in the first place. Like Neo Soul.
That **** applied to a ton of rappers at the time. There were new dudes purposely shaping their style around it.

And backpack was synonymous with underground rap and the Rawkus lane. It was supposed to be "real" and lyrical rap. What was lyrical about Kanye, his ghostwriters?
Pretty much the only thing that gave him credibility. That and he would rap with dudes like Common, Mos, and Talib but Ye wasn't lyrical and we all knew it.
That's why nobody comments on J Cole or Kendrick being backpack rappers. They're just rappers, same as what Kanye was.
Cuz they're not.

And I wouldn't just put Cole and Kendrick in the same boat as Kanye just to say they're all not backpackers.

There's clear differences between them and him.

3-6 not better than bone.

and I love 3-6. They're **** from 20 years ago is still ahead and better all these producers that's tryna copy them but Bone got some MONSTERS. Records with Eazy, Pac and Big. Nobody sold more records than them in the 90's. Not Snoop, Biggie or Pac. People are gonna get reminded who they are and where this melodic **** came from.

and I love 3-6. They're **** from 20 years ago is still ahead and better all these producers that's tryna copy them but Bone got some MONSTERS. Records with Eazy, Pac and Big. Nobody sold more records than them in the 90's. Not Snoop, Biggie or Pac. People are gonna get reminded who they are and where this melodic **** came from.

3-6 had production and flows.

Bone had production and flows. I love 3-6 too, but Bone was BONE. What them cats did will NEVER be duplicated. Again, I *** with 3-6. But Bone was just too unique. Probably the most unique group in the 90s, across all genres. Not just rap

Back
Top Bottom