-Racist moment or am I overreacting? (Even though I didn't react at all)- Vol: You dont know me fam'

Originally Posted by sooperhooper

Originally Posted by supa vegetto

broseph people come at me with all kinds of racist side talk but as it was stated.. these people will eventually run into/say something to the wrong person. their ignorance is not my problem nor do I care to educate them.. I try but they just throw it right back in my face.

i'm the only brother at my current school.. so yeah.

me: i'm hungry

people: you want some fried chicken and watermelon?

i wear grey, brown or black.
Sounds like they don't respect you son. I guarantee they're not that wreckless w/ other blacks.
people: whoa, where'd you go?

you name it, i've heard it. people stay dropping n-bombs like it's cool or something. I let a lot of it slide but damn these little hipsters use hella stereotypes when talking/dealing with me.

i say hello, how are you.. And they still come at me with some "WHADUP YO YO YO YO" bs.
indifferent.gif

I'm from atlanta, born and raised so I'm use to a certain level of arrogance/ignorance..

norcal.. what's really good with the hospitality?

Sounds like they don't respect you son. I guarantee they're not that wreckless w/ other blacks.

I'm pretty laid back when it comes to racist BS.. maybe being half-black has something to do with that. I've never been the confrontational type. It's definitely something they think is funny and humorous. One day they'll be put in their proper place. But you might be right about the respect thing, then again they could just be a-holes. 

Originally Posted by ProducedByTheJuice

Unfortunately, some people are still not very good at interacting with people of other races, either because they're not used to it, overcompensating, nervous, have lingering prejudices, or are just flat-out racist. In every situation, whether someone is being racist or otherwise offensive, you have to judge the situation for yourself, because only you know how it truly makes you feel. If you felt like what he said was inappropriate to the level where you should have said something, then you should have said something. If not, then not. But there's no rule that says EVERY racist (or sexist, or offensive) comment has a prescribed response. The world is not that black and white (see what I did there).

That all said, it seems somewhat likely that the guy made the presumptive comment based on your race, but it also sounds like he was trying to be friendly and connect with you. He just did it in kind of an ignorant way. Should you be offended? If it actually offended you, you have absolutely every right to be. But to go back and make something of this would probably do more harm than good.

Solid response fam
pimp.gif
Like I said, I know the guy meant no harm, it just bothered me that he just KNEW I was on the hunt for basketball shoes. Theres no way in hell im running, lol

Originally Posted by KayCurrency

Unfortunately, some people are still not very good at interacting with people of other races, either because they're not used to it, overcompensating, nervous, have lingering prejudices, or are just flat-out racist. In every situation, whether someone is being racist or otherwise offensive, you have to judge the situation for yourself, because only you know how it truly makes you feel. If you felt like what he said was inappropriate to the level where you should have said something, then you should have said something. If not, then not. But there's no rule that says EVERY racist (or sexist, or offensive) comment has a prescribed response. The world is not that black and white (see what I did there).

That all said, it seems somewhat likely that the guy made the presumptive comment based on your race, but it also sounds like he was trying to be friendly and connect with you. He just did it in kind of an ignorant way. Should you be offended? If it actually offended you, you have absolutely every right to be. But to go back and make something of this would probably do more harm than good.

Solid response fam
pimp.gif
 Like I said, I know the guy meant no harm, it just bothered me that he just KNEW I was on the hunt for basketball shoes. Theres no way in hell im running, lol

lol @ dude being right

Originally Posted by TeamJordan79

Originally Posted by KayCurrency

Solid response fam
pimp.gif

lol @ dude being right

I was being sarcastic fam'

Like i said before, I knew the store only had running and outdoor gear after a few mins of browsing, I wasn't looking for basketball shoes or anything related to basketball.

Originally Posted by StillIn729

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

But just because his grandfather went through things more severe doesn't mean what he just experienced should be ignored and shoved aside. It is that attitude that allows people to think they can say whatever the hell they want to say to anybody they chose.

And why, why, does someone who feels victimized have to be told to shutup and take it. Stop being sensitive. Why not look at the person that spoke words they shouldn't have said.

Dude, don't let this go by man.Dude KNEW what he was saying.
it's okay to log off and get some fresh air; it's not your fight to sit on Niketalk and crusade to a Sports Authority store and OP is sensitive I wasn't serious when I quoted his Prada Casuals  
laugh.gif
 who the hell cares what shoes he was wearing; he is ovbs. needs labels in his life for lack of something

Americas cups dont have "prada" plastered all over them. I get them because they're comfy as hell and they last longer than your average casual shoe... And I brought up the type of shoe I had on to strengthen the point that there was no reason for him to assume that I was on the hunt for basketball shoes.... Sorry I missed your sarcasm when you asked me what type of shoes I was wearing.

Well at least he didn't kick you out of the store? Might as well have though since they ain't have !*#% there anyways.

Originally Posted by rickyfong

It's like receiving chopsticks at my local panda express.. Those racists!!
or the opposite, when you're at an chinese restaurant or sushi place....and you're not asian....and the waitress asks you if you would like a fork 

Originally Posted by DAYTONA 5000

But just because his grandfather went through things more severe doesn't mean what he just experienced should be ignored and shoved aside. It is that attitude that allows people to think they can say whatever the hell they want to say to anybody they chose.

And why, why, does someone who feels victimized have to be told to shutup and take it. Stop being sensitive. Why not look at the person that spoke words they shouldn't have said.

Dude, don't let this go by man.Dude KNEW what he was saying.

And you guys wonder why they continue to perpetuate black racial stereotypes in the media. You laugh at the little slick stuff they do and just brush it off like, "Oh nah, they didn't mean anything." You passive !$$ people are the reason why they feel comfortable coming out of their mouth with these slick remarks.

Black people say way more racist stuff about other races and are quick to try to make up double standard ridden logic to justify it. If you have a problem with perpetuation of racial stereotypes in the media, first place to start would be the images both created and consumed by black people, ie rap music, athletes, music, ebonics, everything. We don't even present ourselves in a good light, what the hell else should other races think?

You are right, black people are slick out of their mouthes as well. But many of us use the, "Since we are the opressed we have a right to say whatever." Nah. People just don't know what to say man.

Nt should all call the store and get dude fired 
laugh.gif
I don't really think he was trying to be racist but we gotta stop stereotyping. 

Originally Posted by Scientific Method

Black people say way more racist stuff about other races and are quick to try to make up double standard ridden logic to justify it. If you have a problem with perpetuation of racial stereotypes in the media, first place to start would be the images both created and consumed by black people, ie rap music, athletes, music, ebonics, everything. We don't even present ourselves in a good light, what the hell else should other races think?

This is just so damn stupid...

Originally Posted by sooperhooper

That's lighthearted judgement/ observation. I'm sure he meant no harm by it, especially if he was polite. You could probably tell by his tone if he meant something negative.

Now if he would've said something like "sir, the clearance section is that way" THEN we would have an issue.
Oh yea because the tone is the only thing that matters. It doesn't matter if he didn't INTEND on it being harmful, he made a racially motivated stereotype out of THIN AIR.

It wasn't harmless at all man. We have to stop letting folks "pop slick" without speaking up.

Dude saw a black dude lookng on the wall and said something about basketball shoes. I mean what more needs to be said man?
thats exactly what i was thinking

How is that stupid? A little exaggeration but I see what he's saying. Similar to the Nword arguments.

You are right, black people are slick out of their mouthes as well. But many of us use the, "Since we are the opressed we have a right to say whatever." Nah. People just don't know what to say man.

True.

op you might be reachin brah.. he might have been mad himself that they didnt carry basketball shoes. maybe he was just looking out for anyone that looks like they ball.

Originally Posted by Enchanted1

This is just so damn stupid...
well you should state facts than why

did you think that those were his thoughts? thoughts of being bummed that there were no basektball shoes in the store and saw you and thought this dude might be like me bumed that there are not basketball shoes

Fam aren't you always bragging about your LIGHT SKINNED African American girlfriend (Redbone)?

You got some nerve bro.

Not really racist. More like a racial observation or stereotype. 
It's kinda like if I go to a Sushi restaurant with a white friend and they ask him/her if they want a fork. 

very true

Back
Top Bottom