Question for "OG" MJ Consumers. Yes an Addendum due to Responses I've Read

rockdeep

Banned
Didnt want to have THIS Thread be lost in one that was rolling well with answers, but hey.. I figured this forum could deal with a Jolt of Good Banter.

So I have been reading my other Thread and gathering responses and analyzing them. Lots of good stuff I must say.... BUT I had a thought while readingresponses from my "OG" 'The One Who Made Jordan The Brand they Are Today Consumers" "The Consumer who is Tired of the Brand notcatering or caring about them anymore"

To them because I happen to be apart of that Generation, I ask this:

Would YOU PARTICIPATE ....If Brand Jordan Jordan Brand, JB or whatever you call em, down the road were to start an OG Release Program where there was aLIMITED RELEASE... IN STORE for Those 25 and Up...maybe twice a year which Retroed a Shoe THE EXACT way it was the way it Originally Released?

Would this appease to those who think the Brand has driven away from them?
Would YOU BUY EACH RELEASE?

Instead of an Online Release which would cost more to have Warehouse folks working to send out releases to EACH Consumer... take it back to YOUR Youth whereYOU took a trip to the Store and ONLY Fought with Folks of YOUR AGE to get a Release?

Reason I ask this is because, we ALL think Jordan has gone another Direction as far as who it Markets itself to..Our New Generation of Jordan Fad folks who wetalk among each day right on NT...

But if you had to SHOW ID that proved you were a certain age in order to purchase an OG Release would you participate?

See what we ALL must realize is, alot of us who WERE buying Jordans as 16 and up Year Olds are 30 somethings that don't wear Jordans AS much anymore...thus we are not the Consumer BASE anymore. Some of us have Kids....some of us are Dead, because we were Dope Dealers who led the Charge of being the onlyone's who could afford Jordans. Some of us are in Jail because of the previous sentence.

However, our Loyalty is STILL there, so we still have a Connection which brings us forward to purchasing Jordans for our Kids if possible. So my question tothose of us who grew up with the GOAT...

1. How DOES Brand Jordan KEEP you as a Consumer?

2. Would you participate in such a Program where you weren't competing against other kids of the Younger Generation for the Shoes YOU Covet so much?

3. If this type of release proved that the OG Consumer just can't be sustained because of Poor Sales, would you still complain that Jordan doesn'tlook to Market to you anymore?

Of course those who are below 25 would complain about leaving them out, but this is to Address ALL my Generation and ask what would it take to keep yourloyalty? ALL answers of course are welcome, as this should really cause some serious banter.

As a shoe wearer, lover and enthusiast, I am obviously a business guy too, who realizes its a business, but for me its interesting to see both sides of thetable, and then figure out can everyone actually be happy or do you really just move on from the OG Wearers (Not even Collectors) but folks who came up withJordan.

Let me hear you....

I LOVE those ideas.

I would come back to JB if they started doing a few of those things.
maybe twice a year which Retroed a Shoe THE EXACT way it was the way it Originally Released

I would need the EXACT same shoes, box and tissue inside.

I am 24 years old. I got my first two pair of Jordans when the Sky 1's released. From that point on I was hooked. Technically before I even knew I washooked. I think it would be great if Jordan Brand started a program like this. But to all good things, there is a down side. People under 25 will obtain theshoes no matter what. Resellers will get them and then the rest is history. I'm one of the few OG collectors who's not mad at Jordan Brand. I simplysift out what I like and what I don't. I accept the fact that there is no Nike Air on Jordans anymore. I mean it's not 1987 anymore. Those shoes madethere mark. I didn't buy the sneakers in the first place just because they had Nike Air on the back. Would I love to see Nike Air again? Sure! If itdoesn't happen it's not a big deal. Jordan keeps me as a consumer because every year they drop at least 2-3 sneakers I like. Not to say I don't buymore, but there are a few retros that remind of the OG's. I really think Jordan does marketing good. If they didn't there shoes would sit on salesracks. Shoes like the Aqua VIII, Metallic V, and the Fire Red III were marketed towards OG heads. Shoes colors like Anthracite, Pea Pod, Cool Grey, & GreenBean is JB's way of marketing the new generation. To put this way JB has never let me down as a company, but they have let me down on certain shoes. But inthe end, I (the consumer) don't have to purchase those shoes, and face it, JB doesn't owe it to me to release Bordeaux VII's just because I'vepurchased well over a 100 sneakers from there company.

well........ im only 18 so im pretty sure i dont qualify as an OG... but im really not feelin tha whole age minimum thing.... i dont think its our fault thatJB has changed thier marketing strategy... i think ther are plenty of collector such as my self that wernt around for the original release that would kill taown one of thease re-release OG's ur talkn about... it should b limited but no age requierments

Im 27 ..im game, sounds a bit unrealstic but... why wouldnt og collecters do somthin like that

my opinion is jb feels like out with the old in with the new..watch gentry thinks hes pharrell-bbc ice cream jordan fusion..

but why would it be 25 and up i remember mj playing ball in the 96-97 97-98 and i had the obsidians and white/black/red XIIIs

i can say i remember him playing those years. i cant remember the years he wore a lot of other great sneakers but i remember starring at them in basketballcards and posters.

im only 20 i wouldnt disagree with this, only if every retro release had a different age minimum

like I-IV (30) V-X (25) XI-XV (20)

Rock, do you mean an OG release, with everything like it was?
I mean: the original boxes and the black paper inside?
and also qualitywise: the same shoe....

def would buy...it would be my firts pair of jordans in a long time (i just finshed selling all my retro jordans hehehe)

Someone said selling a Thunder & Lightening Pack for $250 and $500 was unrealistic.

Its always easy to Shoot something down as undoable or to say this or that will happen...

It takes time to come up with Solutions to help the situation.

If anyone wants to comment on the actual questions, I would LOVE to hear the responses...

There are always these kids who claim to have been wearing J's since the v's dropped and there only 20! Unless you were old enough to experiance whatit was really like to own a pair of Air Jordans pre XV then you will never know. And imo if you are not 25+ that includes you no matter how many pairs of babyJs' your mom bought you.

Originally Posted by kapepper

Rock, do you mean an OG release, with everything like it was?
I mean: the original boxes and the black paper inside?
and also qualitywise: the same shoe....

def would buy...it would be my firts pair of jordans in a long time (i just finshed selling all my retro jordans hehehe)

Yes.. this Thread was to see what would reaction would be to something like that. A release JUST as it was when it originally released. Would you pay moreto have that.. and No I don't mean $250 or $300.

For those I expected to Balk at the Age Minimum...I had to come up with an age to set due to MJs Great Years.... Not his Wizard Years... I know there would bethose below that age who would love that type of release, but my point is to see if those OLDER would and what they would do if it didn't work.

Its been proven folks UNDER 25 can still buy and have the attention of the Footwear Industry...This is to see what those think ABOVE that age about somethinglike this. No Offense.

PUT OUT GOOD JORDANS !! GOOD PRODUCTS !! Simple business concept.

AGE is and should never be a factor ! How can the newer generation relate to OLDER JORDANS if they haven't seen or felt it? They can't, so just let itbe ! Those who can connect deeper, shall connect deeper. Just BUY *+@* YOU LIKE ! That's all

Great topic Rock.

~ Original colorways of shoes made with higher quality. I am of the age (28) where I am willing to pay a little bit more in order to get a better quality shoe.I would much rather pay $160-$195 for a superior quality (and identical looking) White/Red-Black pair of IV's as opposed to the somewhat recently released"Mars" IVs, as an example. Although I did purchase the recent "Mars" IVs, I have the mentality that buying something that cost a bit moreand has the potential to last 6+ years, is better (less wasteful in material and resources) than purchasing "1 pair to rock and one to keep on ice".

2. Would you participate in such a Program where you weren't competing against other kids of the Younger Generation for the Shoes YOU Covet so much?

~ I would. However, I would be concerned with how the resellers would approach this concept. There already is a viable market for them to sell Jordans thatsome just can't get. This would only add fuel to the fire because some who would want the shoes, that are under 25 (some can be considered"Hypebeast"), are willing to pay premiums for what they want. Thus, creating another vicious cycle of supply and demand. I however am interested insome type of program like this, but maybe with additional restrictions (quantity, registration for these "OG collectors", etc...)

3. If this type of release proved that the OG Consumer just can't be sustained because of Poor Sales, would you still complain that Jordan doesn't lookto Market to you anymore?

~ Depends on how much time and energy they put into the above stated release. If they half $*! it then yes, I would complain. If they went all out and rolledout the red carpet then no. I don't fault companies for trying and failing, I fault them for not trying at all or only trying half-heartedly. It used to bethe case with Jordan (when they weren't just a division of NIKE), that they weren't afraid to push the envelope and "JUST DO IT".

What I would like to see

Once or twice a year JB drops a EXACT version of any classic Jordan. Price stays the same as og, box, tissue everything must match.

No packs! Grownups don't have time to camp or spend that kind of money on shoes.

Also make these available in kids sizes. That way us parents can keep the legacy alive with our kids.

Age limit is a must! Only drop these at Niketowns or other places where this can be strictly enforced. If someone over 25 sells on ebay then oh well cant stopit.

NO LIMITED #%!% AT ALL. J's were not limited back when I was a kid so no change.

By occasionally releasing shoes close enough to the originals that I am excited to purchase them.

I would absolutely love it. On another shoe forum, there is a profile spot that says, "Things you want." My response has been "an age minimum tobuy OG colorways" for about a year. I'm semi-retired only because I want the carmines from the VI and XVII pack, but I have a feeling I'm gonnahave to fight a bunch of 16 year olds in line or else pay too much on ebay.

3. If this type of release proved that the OG Consumer just can't be sustained because of Poor Sales, would you still complain that Jordan doesn't lookto Market to you anymore?

I don't complain now, I just get pissed when what I want is a limited or quickstrike release and I can't go to the store at 10am and buy them. Idon't hate all new colorways, I actually enjoy quite a few of them. I just wish that I could EASILY get every pair now that I had growing up.

I'm 34 and have been there since the beginning and I don't think this is a good idea.

All of the kids below the age minimum would just have their parents or someone they know go buy the release for them, thus eliminating the idea that wewouldn't have to fight them to get our pair.

A: Again, I think this whole idea of a competition for footwear has gotten completely out of hand, sneakers should be something everyone can possess, whycompete? It's caused too many problems than it has good. I'd rather have a pair of sneakers everyone can get then have someone be killed or shotbecause they were limited. Just my thoughts, but I would participate against younger kids, would it be annoying, would it be irritating yes, but I'm notrunning the sales strategy of JB so I would have to deal

A: Yes of course, but Jordan Brand would never be able to do this sort of "age discriminatory" process, we're not buying/selling alcohol here,it's sneakers and sneakers in the public and legal eye are intended for people of all ages, color, etc.

A: Obviously the consumer basis is not primarily OG, and OG consumers phase out when reality, bills, family all set in, it's hard to pay for a house, gas,food, and even children's tuition and still having $200-$310 extra per month. I wouldn't complain but I'd be grateful that they made the effort aslong as it was a legitimate and thoroughly thought through process

Originally Posted by DIGITALJORDAN

NO LIMITED #%!% AT ALL. J's were not limited back when I was a kid so no change.

I second that. If they had been that way when I was growing up, I would have never had a pair. My family waited until the next model dropped and theprevious ones went on clearance (yes young'ns, Jordans used to go on clearance...can you believe it??). When it costs $10 bucks to make a shoe and youhave to clear them out at $50, you still make money.

putting an age limit on og release will not work. it will just stir things up. stores that will be getting those og's will most likely keep half of themfor their employees. as for as anybody who is 25 and up presenting an ID to buy a pair, all the non 25 and up age group have to do is get their parents to getit for them. what's next get an og sticker on your ID to prove that your an og shoe head? give it up. its all about business. JB will get its money nomatter what.

I've been a Nike/Air Jordan customer since the Fire Red V's dropped back in 1990. I stayed a customer thru the Bulls years...stopped collecting withthe 14's. Picked up the 16's 'cause they were damn fresh. Passed on 17-21...just couldn't get into them. Came back to the game when theGrape Retros dropped in '06, and I love the XX2's and XX3's (All-Stars baby).

JB keeps me as a customer because of the love I have for the vintage stuff, you know...Air Jordans that have AIR POCKETS in them. They remind me that Iwitnessed something special.

I mix it up with the youngsters today...no fear. Gotta be there early on Release Day if you're gonna garauntee you get your size.

Retro Air Jordans that MATCH EXACTLY what the OG's were? No doubt. I don't think you'd find ANYONE who wouldn't want to participate inthat...even if it means a higher charge.

No. If there was a legitimate attempt by JB to market OG Jordans to those who really wanted them, you couldn't blame them for poor sales.

Would YOU PARTICIPATE ....If Brand Jordan Jordan Brand, JB or whatever you call em, down the road were to start an OG Release Program where there was a LIMITEDRELEASE... IN STORE for Those 25 and Up...maybe twice a year which Retroed a Shoe THE EXACT way it was the way it Originally Released?

I would absolutely participate in the program if I did not have to wait on line for more than 30 mins or make freinds with some snotty sneaker storeemployee in order to know I could get a pair. I am 33 years old with a real job and can't dedicate my life to buying a pair of sneakers. If these basicterms were part of the program, I will buy EVERY single release.

Would this appease to those who think the Brand has driven away from them?

If the basic terms above were complied with, yes. No question.

Would YOU BUY EACH RELEASE?

As noted above, I would buy EVERY SINGLE release of an OG shoe. Again, I am not waiting on lines or making friends with snotty store employees inorder to get them though.

Instead of an Online Release which would cost more to have Warehouse folks working to send out releases to EACH Consumer... take it back to YOUR Youth whereYOU took a trip to the Store and ONLY Fought with Folks of YOUR AGE to get a Release?

Again, if I had to wait on a line or fight to get them, I probably would not bother. I didn't have to do it back then and I've really neverhad to do it for the latest signature shoe release as I buy them on the release date and most kids don't care about Air Jordans numbered higher than XIII.

It might be a cool experience if it was all OG type dudes on line, but I just don't have the time for it like that.

But if you had to SHOW ID that proved you were a certain age in order to purchase an OG Release would you participate?

Yes, but realistically, you know this will not work. You'll still have resellers on line. It would have to be strictly limited to ONE pair percustomer.

It's actually pretty simple. Next year, start with the Air Jordan I. Release 3 OG colorways with the same craftsmanship as the old days and donot limit them in any manner. For the 22 years after that, do the same thing with each consecutive Signature shoe until you get to XX3. Keep that cycle goingforever.

I would participate in a program where I did not have to wait on lines or make freind with snotty store employees or pay resellers $100 over retail toget the shoes.

No. You would never hear another word out of my mouth.

Again, I find it hard to beleive that if every OG color was released AS A GENERAL RELEASE with the same level of craftsmanship and quality of materials asthey were way back when, Jordan Brand would have a hadr time selling the shoes.

First of all, Rock, thanks if this can actually change what we see from the brand in the near future.
Second of all, I'm only 21, so I don't like the 25 thing obviously, but I understand and respect the concept.
Third of all, the questions:

The signature line. I know MJ is not wearing them in the nba anymore but I still feel as if each new model is part of his legacy and impact he has left on thegame. OG colorway retros also appeal to me because it takes me back to when I was a kid. But like everyone else it would be nice if we could see them just likethey originally came out. Maybe no Nike Air but at least the same quality and shape! Still can't get over the Mars 4's lol.

If the age minimum was changed to 21! lol

I don't see how it wouldn't sell. If anything I think it would create more hype that "Nike Air is back." And sales would go up. That'sassuming there's no age limit and anyone can get them though. I think putting an age limit and limiting the shoes could hurt the concept. Peopleshouldn't care who is rocking what shoe as long as you are able to get them the way they used to be. That's my opinion anyways.

First thing for me is i'm 23, just short of the 25, and 5th grade basketball meant the XI's to me....so feel i have a pretty good understanding ofJB....granted I had them earlier in my life, but as stated above that doesnt really count, i really didnt know what i was wearing.

I'm 26, and JB lost me many years ago.

I have purcahsed only the DMP pack, III's and V's.

I would say in a way Jordans are more of a fashion statement then anything else. Jordans released from 85-98 were meant for you to play ball in (try playing ina recently released Jordan.........Not even close.

But as far as a OG program, I would be all for it. Jordans released before 1998. I would agree with proof of age, but I would go a step further. Maybe a storeregistration,and you could only order your size, because the youth would just get their parents to get the shoes for them anyway. Picture that actuallyhappening, but you never know.

Back
Top Bottom