Question for my IT people....HELP!

So im doing this project for my class for the end of the semester and i cant decide what way to go ...(im wiring a highschool btw)

I need to know whats the best solution for a user group of about 200-300 users...money is not an option wont be an option...

switches , firewalls, routers??? which ones should I use ??

as always....
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

[edit - cut that out]

routers depend on your personal preference. i prefer linksys. they're decently priced, and pretty reliable.

firewalls also depend. do you want your users to have the ability to upload and download? will users have a limited about of data per day they can use? etc.

switches, idk about what to do with those.

1st do you know the difference between routers, switches, etc...? then you need to see what is necessary from the client (this case the high school) such as security and connectivity (wired/wireless) etc...

I need Wireless....Popcornplaya - i want them to be able to download and no I dont want a limit

I like Linksys too..any one in particular You would recommend?

Stylez - I think I have an idea of the difference but im still learning ..I need help
smh.gif

I was trying to have at least 2 wired ports in each room though (for teachers)... about 30 classrooms

so you want them to be able to download...but keep in mind this is high school you are going to have to take into considerations group policies etc. because with kids your going to get all kinds of viruses if you dont lock that stuff down (myspace, hi 5, torrent sites, etc) also if kids start using pirate sites and the school gets caught. your dunzo. maybe you should read up on networking and networking security. also you need to survey the school and see what is needed and the purpose for accessing the net. like will it be for school purposes only, research etc. or is it just for the kids to use in their leisure time. that will depend heavily upon how you want to set up your network. this is a pretty in depth project. good luck. hit me on the pm if you need some more guidance but as a starting point. start reading and surveying.

Thanks for all the help so far guys...Solewoman im going to get more in depth as the project goes along will def be hittin u up

Well im trying to configure it as if everyone had their own laptop ....so about 500 students...(we had this at my highschool btw)

The first part of the project (pricing) is dude today thats why I was asking for suggestions on equipment..

Originally Posted by SoleWoman

so you want them to be able to download...but keep in mind this is high school you are going to have to take into considerations group policies etc. because with kids your going to get all kinds of viruses if you dont lock that stuff down (myspace, hi 5, torrent sites, etc) also if kids start using pirate sites and the school gets caught. your dunzo. maybe you should read up on networking and networking security. also you need to survey the school and see what is needed and the purpose for accessing the net. like will it be for school purposes only, research etc. or is it just for the kids to use in their leisure time. that will depend heavily upon how you want to set up your network. this is a pretty in depth project. good luck. hit me on the pm if you need some more guidance but as a starting point. start reading and surveying.
Group policies and such has to wait.

OP, Are you just gonna be wiring the school? Or both (will you be spec-ing the equipment and installing the software to get it to a working state?)

If you're doing both, you're probably best tackling the problems separately. I'd start with the hardware side and work out exactly what equipment you require, make sure it's up to spec and then work up from there (i.e. are any subnets required, any rooms needing particularly fast connections such as multimedia stuff and so on.)

how are you wiring up a high school and dont know the difference between routers and switches? the high school is better off passing that onto someone more knowledgeable (sorry its the truth). learn your stuff before you take on a project that large. you should try wiring up your house if you're just learning that way the only thing you'll screw up is your own stuff.

Since you'll be using laptops, you'll need to look into equipment such as wireless routers and access points that would cover a large scale, I'm just looking at some expensive Cisco equipment now to find out more about it.

take a look at what I'm looking though, the Cisco 5500 series: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10315/index.html

The wireless controller and 20 wireless access points can be bought from this website for nearly £20,000. http://www.micomonline.co.uk/product...T50-1140E20&go

Yo thanks alot for all the input guys and gals....I visited the highschool today and the head IT (which happened to be the only IT guy there) showed me around...

I will get further into this when I get to class today...Im thinking of using all fiber if I can
laugh.gif
I know how crazy expensive it will be ...

if budget is not an issue get a cisco 2900 series router... a 6500 series firewall and 11 3560-x 48-ports cisco switches...

We need more info tho.. like how secure you want the network to be.. do you want to monitor what the students are doing or to what website they are going... Do you want all those 500 to be able to comunicate with each other? or you want to make specific groups? do you want the students to have individual logins? How do you want to install software? Do you want gigabit speed? Also to do Group policies, you are going to need a domain and therefore a domain controller (usually a server).

Oh yeah, Does the 500 include staff? If so what will the staff have access to and what will the students have access to? Will you be hosting e-mail or anything like that?

Back
Top Bottom