Question about storing shoes in containers

I just recently started storing some of my shoes in plastic containers due to the boxes being too messed up. What I want to know is do I have anything to worry about by doing this? I only ask this because I heard something to the effect of shoes not getting air may damage them. Please shed some light.

I just recently started storing some of my shoes in plastic containers due to the boxes being too messed up. What I want to know is do I have anything to worry about by doing this? I only ask this because I heard something to the effect of shoes not getting air may damage them. Please shed some light.

I have experience with this, so ill save you some time with some quick points:

- Under no curcumstances store your shoes in airtight containers of any kind unless they are steel pressure vessels filled with argon or some other noble gas. Airtight plastic boxes will reduce the wearable shelf life of your shoes.

- Never use silica packs unless where you are storing the shoes is not air conditioned and subject to high humidity and temperature changes. So if you store your shoes in your house, dont use them. Maintaning consistent contitions is what you want to aim for, cause you may have noticed that the world outside is full of moisture, and your shoes need to be aclimated to your local climate to reduce stress changes in the material over time.

-Wear whatever you have at least once a month if possible, even if its only around the house. Deadstock shoes will fall apart faster than shoes that get some wear every now and then.

- All shoes have a shelf life, wear them now or know when to leave them on the shelf and admire them for what they are. If your shoes have polyurethane midsoles and are over a decade old, use caution when rocking. If they are phylon, your good to go. Synthetic leathers will dry out over time, but can be helped with a light application of oil. (ive use gun oil with some success, but any petro based oil should work. Do not use veggie oils)

- So in summary, the best container to store your shoes in is really the box they came in. (provided you remove and throw away the tissue paper) Bookshelves or similar open air systems are also good. Ive tried alot of ways, and those are the best options to store your collection. All that is what ive learned over the last decade anyway.
smile.gif

- Under no curcumstances store your shoes in airtight containers of any kind unless they are steel pressure vessels filled with argon or some other noble gas. Airtight plastic boxes will reduce the wearable shelf life of your shoes.

- Never use silica packs unless where you are storing the shoes is not air conditioned and subject to high humidity and temperature changes. So if you store your shoes in your house, dont use them. Maintaning consistent contitions is what you want to aim for, cause you may have noticed that the world outside is full of moisture, and your shoes need to be aclimated to your local climate to reduce stress changes in the material over time.

-Wear whatever you have at least once a month if possible, even if its only around the house. Deadstock shoes will fall apart faster than shoes that get some wear every now and then.

- All shoes have a shelf life, wear them now or know when to leave them on the shelf and admire them for what they are. If your shoes have polyurethane midsoles and are over a decade old, use caution when rocking. If they are phylon, your good to go. Synthetic leathers will dry out over time, but can be helped with a light application of oil. (ive use gun oil with some success, but any petro based oil should work. Do not use veggie oils)

- So in summary, the best container to store your shoes in is really the box they came in. (provided you remove and throw away the tissue paper) Bookshelves or similar open air systems are also good. Ive tried alot of ways, and those are the best options to store your collection. All that is what ive learned over the last decade anyway.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Trydan

smile.gif
I dunno about the silica packs. I got all my shoes in the regular boxes without tissue and 1gram silica packs in each box. some have 2.

I do agree about no air tight seal though. Gotta let your shoes breathe.

Originally Posted by Trydan

smile.gif
I dunno about the silica packs. I got all my shoes in the regular boxes without tissue and 1gram silica packs in each box. some have 2.

I do agree about no air tight seal though. Gotta let your shoes breathe.

what will the tissue from the box do? Do you mean the tissue paper that the shoes are wrapped in AND the "stuffing" inside the shoe or what? great info man thanks.

what will the tissue from the box do? Do you mean the tissue paper that the shoes are wrapped in AND the "stuffing" inside the shoe or what? great info man thanks.

Originally Posted by elcerrito91

Yes, remove all of that. Over time, the tissue paper will fall apart into little bits and be a nightmare to clean up. More important that that tho is that it contains acids that made it white in the first place, and those can get onto your shoes with prolonged contact and discolor them and cause damage.

As I said above, silica packs are only good for extreme storage conditions. Like those where you have problems with condensation or mold growth where you store your shoes. Dont treat your shoes like ancient mummies, unless your gonna store them in little plastic tombs with enough silica packs for the afterlife and never wear them again tho, then its fine. Go read up on the stuff here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silica_gel

Originally Posted by elcerrito91

Yes, remove all of that. Over time, the tissue paper will fall apart into little bits and be a nightmare to clean up. More important that that tho is that it contains acids that made it white in the first place, and those can get onto your shoes with prolonged contact and discolor them and cause damage.

As I said above, silica packs are only good for extreme storage conditions. Like those where you have problems with condensation or mold growth where you store your shoes. Dont treat your shoes like ancient mummies, unless your gonna store them in little plastic tombs with enough silica packs for the afterlife and never wear them again tho, then its fine. Go read up on the stuff here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silica_gel

I'm really appreciating all the help. Yeah, trydan, I hear you on the wearing all your shoes thing and I do. Also, I just keep my shoes in my room but only six pairs are in these plastic Sterilite containers with the snap-on lids and everything else is in a regular box. I don't know how airtight the containers are but what if I just made some ventilation holes around them?

This would be a whole lot easier if I could just get generic, replacement boxes.

I'm really appreciating all the help. Yeah, trydan, I hear you on the wearing all your shoes thing and I do. Also, I just keep my shoes in my room but only six pairs are in these plastic Sterilite containers with the snap-on lids and everything else is in a regular box. I don't know how airtight the containers are but what if I just made some ventilation holes around them?

This would be a whole lot easier if I could just get generic, replacement boxes.

all right cause I have all my shoes still with the paper and stuffing. To keep the shape, socks would be okay to stuff? I will just do that and take the "wrapping tissue" out. thanks man.

all right cause I have all my shoes still with the paper and stuffing. To keep the shape, socks would be okay to stuff? I will just do that and take the "wrapping tissue" out. thanks man.

I have my one pair of Jordan 11's with silica packs in there. Same with my Laker 6's due to the clear soles.

The rest I will remove. Thanks for the tips.

Back
Top Bottom