Quentin Tarantino's Django Unchained (a Spaghetti Western) scheduled for release Christmas 2012

Lets not get carried away.

Jules Winnfield in Pulp Fiction
Mr. Glass in Unbreakable
the father in A Time to Kill
Jesus in Die Hard With A Vengeance
Nick Fury? Shark bait? Black Snake?

I would put Steven in Django up against any of those.
Even Jules.

So basically qt watched boondocks catcher freeman episode and made a movie? You guys are overhyping this. It's was above average but nothing classic or "epic". It has some good moments but it just felt empty. Watching this film I couldn't help but wonder how qt really feels. Give me Aaron mcgruder when it comes to this type of material. Even the Rick Ross moment was a letdown, I thought that would drop during a powerful scene. All I can say is we need more of us telling our own stories. 30 min catcher freeman episode had more suspense, action, and comedy than this movie.

Aaron MacGruder wrote Red Tails. I live in reality and can accept that this is as close as we're gonna get for something like this. I mean look how Red Tails and Miracle at St. Anna turned out. And those are the positive stories.

I mean...Tyler Perry's real. Yes, there are so many black creative minds who would've done better if they were in ______'s position, but eventually you gotta take a step back and realize...none of them are. None of them have been. Almost none of them will be. George Lucas is worth billions and he had to pay for Red Tails out of pocket, because no studio would take it on. This cast, this production, this writing, these, to me, iconic film moments. I'm not saying to lower your bar, because this all legit hit me right. I'm saying I lowered my bar a long time ago.

There's no black film savior coming. (except 1 guy I'm holding out hope for) As we speak, Spike is adapting Oldboy. The Hughes Brothers made Book of Eli. John Singleton made that horrible movie, Abducted. Antoine Fuqua fell all the way off. The Wayans brothers have a 'worse than Scary Movie 5' coming soon. Mario Van Peebles had one good film in him and it was a parody biopic about his dad. The guy who directed Precious, made Paperboy which I hear was vile and ridiculous. Ice Cube is Ice Cube. Tim Story directed both Fantastic Fours and Think Like A Man.

What I'm saying is, no one would, no one could, no one has, and probably no one will for many years to come. And this is so far and away better than I thought it could've been, if-in it ever did come together. I can't stop and be mad that it is so decisively a Tarantino picture, before it's a slave epic. But then I love Tarantino's films tii, so call me biased.

That one guy I'm holding out hope for...Steve McQueen. He directed Shame, and Hunger. He's working on a film called..."Twelve Years a Slave." I will be seeing that as soon as possible. The pickins are so slim and there's no promise that anything will ever get done ever. And I really don't like Amistad, that movie where the slaves don't speak English, cry and yell and wait for Anthony Hopkins to save them.

I went into Django with a lot of doubt and low expectations, especially of Jamie Foxx. I didn't mean to gas it up to be the greatest thing that ever happened, but it was pure greatness to me. That's my mentality. That's what I see in film.

Last edited:
Yeah I agree Inglorious Bastards was a lot more interesting to me.
I really like the last 20-30 minutes of the movie but besides that I got bored with it. I honestly expected a lot more, from all the hype it's getting.
It was just a good movie to me.

Saw it Christmas day and these are pretty much my thoughts as well. Movie seemed to drag on at parts and I was losing interest. There were some funny scenes, really like Samuel L.'s part in the movie. I thought Inglorious Bastards was way better though, this movie I bought into the hype and it just didn't seem to deliver.

So basically qt watched boondocks catcher freeman episode and made a movie? You guys are overhyping this. It's was above average but nothing classic or "epic". It has some good moments but it just felt empty. Watching this film I couldn't help but wonder how qt really feels. Give me Aaron mcgruder when it comes to this type of material. Even the Rick Ross moment was a letdown, I thought that would drop during a powerful scene. All I can say is we need more of us telling our own stories. 30 min catcher freeman episode had more suspense, action, and comedy than this movie.

so...how was the Catcher Freeman episode better than Django?

Go ahead and break that down for me.

And it sounds to me like what you wish was accomplished with the Rozay scene......actually happened with the 'Pac scene.....

so....go a head and break this down for me....

yea that was spikes reason. Imagine if I made a movie about jews escaping from a concentration camp and subjecting their nazi tormentors to horrors, while using witty dialogue and humorous situations. There'd be a huge backlash.
The n-word thing came about from Spikes general dislike of tarantino

True. ADL would make sure it never got past the door! Good points made.

yea that was spikes reason. Imagine if I made a movie about jews escaping from a concentration camp and subjecting their nazi tormentors to horrors, while using witty dialogue and humorous situations. There'd be a huge backlash.
The n-word thing came about from Spikes general dislike of tarantino

True. ADL would make sure it never got past the door! Good points made.

What makes you think that, though?

Django is empowering as hell, and it would be no matter what race Django was in relation to his oppressors, meaning that it would be empowering if he were a Jew rebelling against his Nazi oppressors, Korean rebelling against his Japanese oppressors, etc...

Was expecting more from this film. This movie just seemed to be lacking the it factor that the other Tarantino films seem to possess. Don't get me wrong, it's a good movie no doubt I just was not blown away.

The KKK scene with them arguing about the masks was absolutely hilarious though probably one of my favorite parts.

Movie was really good.

Did not expect too walk into a theater full of older white people :lol:

I didn't know Leonardo Dicaprio really cut his hand in the dining room/hammer scene.

Saw the movie last night and I feel it's Tarantino's best work.

I see a lot of different view points and most are fair as I can see how the different opinions are valid.

I loved the movie for what it depicted and how it was depicted.

I tried to read every comment but I may have missed some but I don't recall anyone touching on the breakdown of the Occipital bone area and the 3 dimples. I found this part quite interesting since a lot of ignorant racists back then really believed this stuff.

Saw the movie, thought it was solid. Just wondering though, was anyone else expecting something to happen or waiting for a twist with the girl that had the red bandana and axe? She seemed to be mysterious and shown on multiple occasions. Any story on that, perhaps linked with one of his other films?

Last edited:
Saw the movie, thought it was solid. Just wondering though, was anyone else expecting something to happen or waiting for a twist with the girl that had the red bandana and axe? She seemed to be mysterious and shown on multiple occasions. Any story on that, perhaps linked with one of his other films?

For some reaeson I was really hoping that Uma Thurman would be under that bandana haha.

What makes you think that, though?
Django is empowering as hell, and it would be no matter what race Django was in relation to his oppressors, meaning that it would be empowering if he were a Jew rebelling against his Nazi oppressors, Korean rebelling against his Japanese oppressors, etc...

So you think Spike could get away with making a film depicting light or humor of concentration camps/the holocaust and/or alluding to it never happening? I'm just sayin...

Last edited:
So you think Spike could get away with making a film depicting light or humor of concentration camps/the holocaust and/or alluding to it never happening? I'm just sayin...
 but QT's film isnt denying slavery didnt exist...

i wish spike would make a movie like that so i have more of a reason to not watch his crappy movies.

For some reaeson I was really hoping that Uma Thurman would be under that bandana haha.

lol Nope Zoe Bell (Stunt woman and the chick that was hanging on the hood of the car in Death Proof)

Saw the movie yesterday... I loved it.

I'm surprised no one has talked about this one name I saw during the credits under Producer:

Reginald Hudlin

AKA

the director of: House Party, Boomerang and the Great White Hype and also a writer of Black Panther (Marvel). He was also President of Entertainment over at BET for awhile.

Last edited:
Was expecting more from this film. This movie just seemed to be lacking the it factor that the other Tarantino films seem to possess. Don't get me wrong, it's a good movie no doubt I just was not blown away.
The KKK scene with them arguing about the masks was absolutely hilarious though probably one of my favorite parts.

I read where the editor of his previous films died....hence the reason for such a different feel compared to his other films.

I thought the woman with the bandana would be a factor... they showed her when they arrived and made a point to show her again when Django came back. 

so...how was the Catcher Freeman episode better than Django?

Go ahead and break that down for me.

And it sounds to me like what you wish was accomplished with the Rozay scene......actually happened with the 'Pac scene.....

so....go a head and break this down for me....
Please do elaborate troll.....

I mean Inglorious Bastards wasn't that exact story you described, but it very similar. Jews (from american) subjecting Nazi's(would-be tormentors) to horrors, while using witty dialogue and humorous situations.

I love this guy so much
smokin.gif
dudes the man

you should check out carnage..its an interesting movie.

I mean Inglorious Bastards wasn't that exact story you described, but it very similar. Jews (from american) subjecting Nazi's(would-be tormentors) to horrors, while using witty dialogue and humorous situations.
We already had this whole discussion, you're not going to convince him.

Back
Top Bottom