Prince, Passes Away at 57.

If they do release unreleased prince stuff I hope it is jam and lewis that produces it

Don't want it to be like how they used timbaland and all these other current sounding producers on Michael Jacksons album sounds so fake when producers try to take material and try to make it for the pop radio these days sounds so fake

Everyone in here saw the rock & roll HOF all star jame where Pricne shredded oplaying While My Guitar Gently Weeps (2004), here's his actual induction performance from that night that was just released in full. He plays Lets Go Crazy, Sign O The Times, Sam & Dave‘s Soul Man, & Kiss.

Also Billboard just posted story that was never told before regarding Prince's private charitable en devours, this time helping James Brown's legendary drummer Clyde Stubblefield aka The Funky Drummer. Seems like with his passing, stories of the people Prince has helped are coming to light. It's not only cool that Prince stepped up like he did especially seeing the amounts of money he's given but that he kept it private.

Prince Paid Off 'Funky Drummer' Clyde Stubblefield's Medical Bills
4/27/2016 by Monique Melendez

In the wake of his untimely death, Prince's secret philanthropy is coming to light.

After getting diagnosed with cancer 15 years ago, legendary drummer and James Brown collaborator Clyde Stubblefield had $90,000 worth of hospital bills.

George Clinton Remembers Prince as the 'Epitome' of a Rock Star

Stubblefield's wife Jody Hannon received an unexpected call while Stubblefield was undergoing chemotherapy for bladder cancer: Prince's people were on the line, and they wanted to know how much Stubblefield needed in order to pay off his massive medical bills. True to his buttoned-up, discreet nature, Prince requested that his donation -- a whopping $80,000 to help pay for Stubblefield's treatment -- be kept a secret from the press.

View media item 2012878
A contact from Prince's former charity Love 4 One Another told the Wisconsin State Journal that Stubblefield was one of Prince's "drumming idols." Stubblefield is best known for his drum break in James Brown's "Funky Drummer"; his drum beat is now a cornerstone of hip-hop and the most sampled beat in the genre, from LL Cool J's "Mama Said Knock You Out" to Public Enemy's "Fight the Power" and "Bring the Noise."

To Stubblefield, Prince's uniqueness went far beyond his sensual lyricism and purple ensembles. "He was very different. To help people, number one, that makes you different right there," Stubblefield told Madison, Wisconsin's News 3.

Though Stubblefield once had the opportunity to play in Prince's studio, the two never crossed paths, which made Prince's large donation all the more baffling for Stubblefield. "I still don't understand why," Stubblefield said.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/7348492/prince-funky-drummer-clyde-stubblefield-medical-bills

Last edited:
His hs basketball coach didn't give him much playing time because of his size, so he used that grudge to fuel his passion for music.

smokin.gif

Last edited:
:wow: Never knew Prince & George Lopez were friends like that... Like I said about Prince's charitable efforts, kudos to George for helping & also not seeking attention for it.

http://www.tmz.com/2016/05/01/prince-george-lopez-money-family/

PRINCE GEORGE LOPEZ HELPS FAMILY WITH BIG BUCKS
5/1/2016 1:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Prince's family has a guardian angel ... who goes by the name George Lopez, because we've learned the comedian has fronted money to the family the singer left behind.

Turns out ... George was tight with Prince, and he learned all of the assets in the estate have been frozen until a judge determines how much the administrator can give family members for living expenses. Prince was generous with his family, giving them money and even homes during his life.

Some of the singer's siblings are now cash strapped because they've been temporarily cut off, and we've learned George has advanced them $20k to cover living and travel expenses and that figure could go up.

We're told George did it all anonymously ... not wanting any fanfare or adulation.

Good job, Lopez.

Questlove recently appeared on NPR talking about various things including Prince.

An excerpt about Prince...

On his relationship with Prince

It was a complex relationship. The second time we spoke, I kinda asked him, "I got to let you know, you're mad normal." And he laughed, and he said, "What, you think I wouldn't be?"

And then one night, just out of the blue, he ambushed us. I was working on Common's Electric Circus album and the phone rang ... and I picked up and he says, "Hello, can I speak to Prince?" I said, "Who?" And he's like, "You know your name means prince, right?" [The Arabic meaning of the name "Ahmir" is prince.] And I said, "Who's this?" and he said, "Prince." And he came by and it was already 3 in the morning, and we played him some songs we were working on.

On Prince's feelings regarding cursing

We're at Paisley Park [Prince's studio and home in Minnesota], and I don't know, maybe I let the s-word slip ... and [Prince] was like, "Yeah, that'll be a dollar." He grabbed a water bottle and he said, "Actually, you're rich. That's $20."

I said, "Huh?" and he said, "No cursing." And I said, "Cursing! Wait, you're the one that taught me how to curse."

But the thing was, when I said that, I was really saying it to get out of paying 20 bucks, but I saw the look on his face. And when I walked away that night and went back to the hotel, I wondered if he really felt bad about that; if he thinks in his head, "Man, I've ruined a generation." But he really felt that.

And I felt that with a lot of his secret philanthropy, and a lot of the Robin Hood stuff he was doing, I mean real deep political — saving schools, people to this day not knowing where this $3 million check came from, that was all him. I felt like maybe in the last 20 years of his life, he felt the need to overcompensate or pay forward what he feels that maybe he damaged some of us who grew up listening to his music.

Tracey Morgan telling The Hollywood Reporter telling a personal Prince story as only Tracey could. :lol: @ tater tot...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/prince-superfan-tracy-morgan-he-888425?utm_source=twitter

Prince Superfan Tracy Morgan: "He Taught Me to Be Gentle"
6:35 AM PDT 4/28/2016 by Tracy Morgan

I was getting ready to perform in Las Vegas when I heard that Prince died. I felt a real emptiness. At the end of my set, I got a standing ovation, and I said, "This standing ovation is for Prince — and I would like to have a moment of silence." So we had one.

Since his album 1999, I was a fan. Prince and Michael Jackson — they were the soundtrack to my life. I remember when my pops died [in 1987], I listened to "Condition of the Heart" [from 1985 LP Around the World in a Day] as soon as we got back from the burial, for 24 hours [in a row]. That was the last song I said, "Dad, listen to this!" And my father said, "That's a good record."

About seven years ago, I went to a party at Prince's house in Los Angeles. We had to take a bus there — Jennifer Lopez, everybody was on this bus — and Prince performed with his band in the living room. The liquor was flowing, and everybody was getting nice. At the end of the night, me and my boy Bradley were drunk. We had these two girls on the sofa, and we were talking, joking, laughing. Prince and his wife came downstairs, and they had on purple pajamas. He said, "Tracy, get the f— out!" As I walked out the door, I grabbed him by the back of the neck, and I pulled him close to me. I noticed that mole on his face. He was so pretty, I turned gay for about five seconds. I said, "My father loved 'When Doves Cry.' " And he said, "Yeah, yeah. Just get the f— out."

Another time, when I was living in Los Angeles, I hung out with him and Andre 3000 at the Skybar on Sunset Boulevard. He was down to earth: regular, no extra cheese, no pepperoni — just a slice and a Coke! He was shining like new money.

I hosted the Billboard Music Awards three years ago, and Prince headlined. I didn't get to talk to him because he disappeared. "Where did Prince go?" "He disappeared!" He was mystique.

Was he an influence? Absolutely! He was free. He came from the heart. He was talking about making love, he was a sexy man!

Prince's music taught me how to suck *******! He taught me how to be gentle. Because of him, I once sucked a titty for an hour. At the end, it looked like a tater tot.

I love Prince.

—As told to Camille Dodero

Last edited:
I don't think this has been posted in here yet. Prince on the drums. You don't get to see this very much. Starts @ 2:55.

And this was from his instagram last year.

"About seven years ago, I went to a party at Prince's house in Los Angeles. We had to take a bus there — Jennifer Lopez, everybody was on this bus — and Prince performed with his band in the living room. The liquor was flowing, and everybody was getting nice. At the end of the night, me and my boy Bradley were drunk. We had these two girls on the sofa, and we were talking, joking, laughing. Prince and his wife came downstairs, and they had on purple pajamas. He said, "Tracy, get the f— out!" As I walked out the door, I grabbed him by the back of the neck, and I pulled him close to me. I noticed that mole on his face. He was so pretty, I turned gay for about five seconds. I said, "My father loved 'When Doves Cry.' " And he said, "Yeah, yeah. Just get the f— out."

Reading this in Tracy's voice. :lol:

Last edited:
Jimmy Jam originally met Prince in '73 in middle school so he's known him for a long time personally & professionally. :wow: :lol: I can only imagine what they looked like back then.

The Time were originally called Flyte Tyme... Now I can't get chorus of Fishnet outta my head...

Funny that one of my favorite singers, Alexander O Neal, was the original lead singer of Flyte Tyme but got booted

I don't think this has been posted in here yet. Prince on the drums. You don't get to see this very much. Starts @ 2:55.

And this was from his instagram last year.

..............Oh my lord.........Shiela E in that outfit. Damn, that was/is still a beautiful woman. 

She also posted this on her facebook ( the chick on the right was cut out from her pic )

Jimmy Jam originally met Prince in '73 in middle school so he's known him for a long time personally & professionally. :wow: :lol: I can only imagine what they looked like back then.

The Time were originally called Flyte Tyme... Now I can't get chorus of Fishnet outta my head...

Funny that one of my favorite singers, Alexander O Neal, was the original lead singer of Flyte Tyme but got booted

Yeah, I remember when I first read that I was like that Wee-Bey gif... Prince actually signed O'Neal to Warner Bros but apparently got into a lot of disagreements with Prince so he either left or got booted & that's how Morris Day got into the group... & that is what they say is history.

In other news, it looks like Bremer Trust who was hired to temporarily oversee Prince's estate has opened Prince's mythical vault...

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/princes-vault-reportedly-drilled-open/story?id=38766251

Can't remember if this was posted by the BBC had a piece about Prince's vault.

Edit - It's amazing the sound Prince created using this drum machine (Linn) drum machine... I htink this machine was also used in Don Henley's Boys Of Summer too.

That sound ended up evolving with Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis but they used a Roland TR-808 for their sound (Janet Jackon's Control, Rhythm Nation)...

Last edited:
Jimmy Jam said that all of the guys were meeting up for dinner with Prince to talk about putting the band together. Alexander Oneal started popping off about getting more "paper" than what was on the table for them. All of the other guys stayed silent. Prince got up from the table and left. Morris Day became the lead singer of The Time from that point forward lol.

That sound ended up evolving with Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis but they used a Roland TR-808 for their sound (Janet Jackon's Control, Rhythm Nation)...
That's the LM-2, Prince used the LM-1...that LM-1 is one of my ebay alerts, and only appears once every blue moon (not to mention insanely expensive) 
mean.gif

The LM-2 is however the drum machine of 80's pop.

The LM-1 is waaay better because you can individually pitch tune each part

Jimmy Jam said that all of the guys were meeting up for dinner with Prince to talk about putting the band together. Alexander Oneal started popping off about getting more "paper" than what was on the table for them. All of the other guys stayed silent. Prince got up from the table and left. Morris Day became the lead singer of The Time from that point forward lol.

I'm glad it worked out the at it did. I couldn't imagine Alexander singing "Jungle Love" just like I couldn't imagine Morris Day singing any of those duets with Cherelle. Man that Minneapolis sound ruled the 80s. That was the soundtrack of the early part of my life right there

^^^, true. O'neal wouldn't have sounded right on "Cool" which is my favorite song from Prince/Time.

Back
Top Bottom