Possibly the most interesting and engaging that either McCain or Obama have been all year

Some background:�Al Smith was a major political force in New York duringthe 1920s and 30s, was elected to the governorship four times and was the first Catholic to run for President of the United States loosing to Herbert Hoover.�Every year The Al Smith Dinner is held to commemorate his life and work and raise money for Catholic charities.� Since the Presidential Election of 1960between Kennedy and Nixon, it has often been an important stop for the candidates of both parties in the last weeks before Super Tuesday.� What it has evolvedinto is a sort of political Friar's Roast and probably the only spot which both candidates are able to shed the trappings of their handlers andspindoctors, drop the often acrimonious and derisory rhetoric and speak with the kind of earnestness and self-awareness we'd like to always hear from ourelected officials.

Also they're pretty darn funny.

McCain:

Senator McCain was surprisingly funny.

But Senator Obama killed it with such and such id that "if we continue talking about the economy, John will lose. So tonight, I'd like to talkabout the economy."

Just saw this on Larry King. Pretty funny on both sides.

The jabs and on-the-sly comments were there, but I guess at that event anything is fair game.

"I'm glad to be palling around with this crowd"
laugh.gif

Barry kilt it (Scotland style) with the Russian Tea Room joke, but if you are not familiar with Manhattan you may not have gotten it

pimp.gif

McCain did better with the jokes, but he kinda threw some @!%% in there that will hurt him..

they were both hilarious.

my dude obama said, "Greatest weakness...I admit it is possible that I am a little bit too awesome."
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
that was G
pimp.gif

both were funny but barack had the quotables..

" But I have to say tonight's venue isn't really what I'm used to. I was originally told we'd be able to move this outdoors to YankeeStadium, and -- can somebody tell me what happened to the Greek Columns that I requested?"

"And while the collapse of the housing market's been tough on every single home owner, I think we all need to recognize that this crisis has beeneight times harder on John McCain."

"Contrary to the rumors you have heard, I was not born in a manger.I was actually born on Krypton"

"Many of you -- many of you know that I got my name, Barack, from my father. What you may not know is Barack is actually Swahili for "That One."
And I got my middle name from somebody who obviously didn't think I'd ever run for president. If I had to name my greatest strength, I guess it wouldbe my humility.
Greatest weakness, it's possible that I'm a little too awesome. "

"I mean, Rupert the other day, Fox News actually accused me of fathering two African-American children"

Originally Posted by jeyel

"I mean, Rupert the other day, Fox News actually accused me of fathering two African-American children"
don't forget the kicker, he paused and said..."in wedlock"
laugh.gif
grin.gif

Back
Top Bottom