Please don't Home School your kids

Originally Posted by czur1127

should off wipped it out........
Lol_wut_pack.jpg

Originally Posted by saymoregotsole

Home school is an advantage imo. More focus on the students learning, less focus on the knuckleheads that don't want to learn. Im an educator btw so im pretty passionate about topics like this. When I have kids they will either be home or private schooled.

I'd rather have my child private schooled than home schooled. If you home school your child you had better make sure they have a good social life beforethey go to college. I don't get that argument "less focus on those that don't want to learn". If a child wants to learn the most they can,they will regardless of distractions in the classroom.

home schooling is a a great experience and can allow a child to learn and progress at a rate far greater than in traditional schools when doneproperly.

I have a couple of cousins that are home schooled and are at the same time outstanding outgoing individuals... they also go through rigorous testing each year(month long in some cases) to gauge exactly where the child stands.

Iduno if dude will pop up, but there is an NTr on here who was homeschooled and really did some awesome projects in lieu of schoolwork.

lmao @ that YouTube video. Homeschooling can be a good thing if you know the material to teach. Because believe it or not... Schooling at school is more $#@%%$up than most people see. If you school your children at home, you could teach them whatever YOU feel is good for them to know as well as state requirements...If you want. Think outside the box...

First of all, I was homeschooled. Let's see how things turned out...

• Graduated Magna Cum Laude with a Bachelors in Communication and Minor in Business
  • I was hired as the Marketing Manager for a major marketing firm and started two days after graduating. Four months later I became the Director of Marketing.
  • I am a respected and award-winning member of the automotive enthusiast community.
  • I have a very large circle of friends comprised of a mixture of public-, private-, and homeschooled individuals.
  • I was homeschooled not for religious reasons, but because the school district I lived in at the time was the definition of failure.
  • While I was homeschooled, I ran my own business. I started it at age 13. The foundation for my sneaker collection and show cars came from the money I made running that business.
  • I received school credit for restoring my show car (and subsequently learned A LOT about cars).
  • I also received school credit for running my business, which was a regional homeschool magazine for kids. This is where I developed my love for marketing, writing, and taking chances most people wouldn't. Despite being a small publication, I managed to generate business with national advertisers, interviewed numerous celebrity homeschoolers, including Jason Taylor and country artists The Wilkinsons, and worked on projects with record company execs from Mercury, Warner Brothers, Jive, and Def Jam.
Now it may seems that I am trying to brag here, but that's not the case. What I'm trying to point out is that I was homeschooled and did not turninto a sheltered hermit or clueless about world news, culture, and events. I turned out to be very worldly and successful...and a vast majority ofhomeschoolers turn out this way. And I attribute my success to homeschooling 100 percent.

Point is, never base your conclusion about an entire demographic by your experience with one or two individuals, or what is portrayed in the media. That'scalled generalization, and we all know where that leads...it's the basis for discrimination, racism, sexism...the list goes on. Just because you had themisfortune of meeting a homeschooler that is apparently clueless, don't think that all homeschoolers are sheltered, hopelessly nerdy knuckleheads with apenchant for damning anyone who doesn't hold their identical religious beliefs. People like that come from all backgrounds, regardless of the way theyreceived their education.

This concludes my soapbox moment...

I can see the advantages of homeschooling over public schools, but the requirements to homeschool are wayyy too lenient. There is a reason why teachers havedegrees. My neighbors were homeschooled and besides being incredibly socially awkward, they were dumb as hell. I was in 7th grade and they were in 9th grade,but I was doing more advanced things than they were.

Originally Posted by MerkurPosite

• Graduated Magna Cum Laude with a Bachelors in Communication and Minor in Business
  • I was hired as the Marketing Manager for a major marketing firm and started two days after graduating. Four months later I became the Director of Marketing.
  • I am a respected and award-winning member of the automotive enthusiast community.
  • I have a very large circle of friends comprised of a mixture of public-, private-, and homeschooled individuals.
  • I was homeschooled not for religious reasons, but because the school district I lived in at the time was the definition of failure.
  • While I was homeschooled, I ran my business. I started it at age 13. The foundation for my sneaker collection and show cars came from the money I made running that business.
Now it may seems that I am trying to brag here, but that's not the case. What I'm trying to point out is that I was homeschooled and did not turn into a sheltered hermit or clueless about world news, culture, and events. I turned out to be very worldly and successful...and a vast majority of homeschoolers turn out this way. And I contribute my success to homeschooling 100 percent.

Point is, never base your conclusion about an entire demographic by your experience with one or two individuals, or what is portrayed in the media. That's called generalization, and we all know where that leads...it's the basis for discrimination, racism, sexism...the list goes on. Just because you had the misfortune of meeting a homeschooler that is apparently clueless, don't think that all homeschoolers are sheltered, hopelessly nerdy knuckleheads with a penchant for damning anyone who doesn't hold their identical religious beliefs. People like that come from all backgrounds, regardless of the way they received their education.

Well sorry to burst your bubble but you are bragging. Everyone is not fortunate to be homeschooled (I wouldn't want to be. I learned more in a publicschool environment than you can ever learn in a home). Its a very expensive process and it seems that you come from a well off family for you not to go to aschool in a failing district to pay for tutors year round.

Originally Posted by Lazy B

• While I was homeschooled, I ran my business. I started it at age 13. The foundation for my sneaker collection and show cars came from the money I made running that business.
Now it may seems that I am trying to brag here, but that's not the case. What I'm trying to point out is that I was homeschooled and did not turn into a sheltered hermit or clueless about world news, culture, and events. I turned out to be very worldly and successful...and a vast majority of homeschoolers turn out this way. And I contribute my success to homeschooling 100 percent.

Point is, never base your conclusion about an entire demographic by your experience with one or two individuals, or what is portrayed in the media. That's called generalization, and we all know where that leads...it's the basis for discrimination, racism, sexism...the list goes on. Just because you had the misfortune of meeting a homeschooler that is apparently clueless, don't think that all homeschoolers are sheltered, hopelessly nerdy knuckleheads with a penchant for damning anyone who doesn't hold their identical religious beliefs. People like that come from all backgrounds, regardless of the way they received their education.

Well sorry to burst your bubble but you are bragging. Everyone is not fortunate to be homeschooled (I wouldn't want to be. I learned more in a public school environment than you can ever learn in a home). Its a very expensive process and it seems that you come from a well off family for you not to go to a school in a failing district to pay for tutors year round.

Actually, my family barely scraped by sometimes. We were anything but well off. And there were no tutors involved...my parents were my teachers. Also, I didnot spend all of my time at home. That's something of a misnomer about homeschooling. I didn't sit in my living room 24/7. I was involved in awide-variety of community programs, and often accompanied my parents at work (and I'll tell you, I learned a whole lot doing that). I went on field tripswith multiple families all the time (i.e. we shared the cost), and often times put my books in the car and went off to a state park, local mall, or collegecampus to do my studies.

I'm not trying to make anyone feel bad about their situations (believe me, my life is far from perfect), I'm merely using my own experiences to showthat homeschoolers don't fit the mold a lot of people put them in.

Well sorry to burst your bubble but you are bragging. Everyone is not fortunate to be homeschooled (I wouldn't want to be. I learned more in a public school environment than you can ever learn in a home). Its a very expensive process and it seems that you come from a well off family for you not to go to a school in a failing district to pay for tutors year round.

Actually, my family barely scraped by sometimes. We were anything but well off. And there were no tutors involved...my parents were my teachers.

That's wus up.

indifferent.gif
dude was just stating his accomplishments and this was the NTr I was refering to in my earlier post, props to Merkur

• While I was homeschooled, I ran my own business. I started it at age 13. The foundation for my sneaker collection and show cars came from the money I made running that business.
  • I received school credit for restoring my show car (and subsequently learned A LOT about cars).
  • I also received school credit for running my business, which was a regional homeschool magazine for kids. This is where I developed my love for marketing, writing, and taking chances most people wouldn't. Despite being a small publication, I managed to generate business with national advertisers, interviewed numerous celebrity homeschoolers, including Jason Taylor and country artists The Wilkinsons, and worked on projects with record company execs from Mercury, Warner Brothers, Jive, and Def Jam.

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

I just want to point out something before someone takes it the wrong way. When I refer to the school district I lived in having been the definition of failure,I'm not dissing public schools in general or anyone who graduated from one. My particular school district was just filled with an enormous amount ofproblems, and yes I was very lucky to have had the opportunity to get out of there.

Although I hope to homeschool my own children, I now live in a very good public school district and would not hesitate to make use of it. Also, my wife iscurrently in the process of becoming none other than a public school teacher!

I have a ton of respect for public school teachers, and I commend them for giving back to the community through their career choice.

In my particular case I simply had a school district that did nothing to discipline aggressive and disruptive students, never acknowledged anyone with specialtalents, and often looked down upon those with learning disabilities. It was a mess.

MerkurPosite, I understand where you're coming from and I think u have the right mindset to do it.

The only homeschooled kid that i've ever met was this kid that lives down my street. I'll start off by saying that he was learning at like 2 gradesahead of his age.

Some of the negative stuff about his personality:

- He was always mad disrespectful to his parents

- Got everything he wanted or else he would go crazy

- He didnt know how to act around others especially adults (always talking down to them)

- He acted really mature (listened to classical music
roll.gif
and wore a tie all the time) but acted like a 3 year old around kids his age.

- He was always trying to steal things from me, I always caught him and he always cried like a little girl
roll.gif

His parent did put him into my school when he was like 10 but he left after like 3 weeks because he was getting beat up.

I guess the positive part is that he's incredibly smart, and i'm not sure if his other psychological problems are a direct result of hisschooling...but overall I think this kid would've been better off going the normal childhood route.

I think homeschooling is a good way to go if you've got the right situation (parents who have done their research and stay in good contact with the schoolboard) but the most important part is that you let the kid do sports or other activities that gives them chance to meet other kids.

Originally Posted by MikeScarn

Some of the negative stuff about his personality:

- He was always mad disrespectful to his parents

- He acted really mature (listened to classical music
roll.gif
and wore a tie all the time) but acted like a 3 year old around kids his age.

His parent did put him into my school when he was like 10 but he left after like 3 weeks because he was getting beat up.
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Now it may seems that I am trying to brag here, but that's not the case. What I'm trying to point out is that I was homeschooled and did not turn into a sheltered hermit or clueless about world news, culture, and events. I turned out to be very worldly and successful...and a vast majority of homeschoolers turn out this way. And I attribute my success to homeschooling 100 percent.

there are ALWAYS success stories...for every homeschooler that is like you there are 10 that are socially inept...those other homeschool kids thatyou went on those field trips with I'm sure didn't turn out like you or have the accomplishments you do....there is something to be said for the socialaspect of going to school and interacting with people on a daily basis...

Originally Posted by jumpman247

Originally Posted by Agthekid

nublee wrote:
I'd never home school my kids. I'm afraid they'll turn out like this
roll.gif
Spelling Bee Jerk
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

��
What a little jerk, He'll never bag a women like that ever.

Not everyone cares about "bagging" women.

The only home schooled dude I knew was also the weirdest kid I knew. He had a pet squirrel and molested his adopted� mentally handicapped brother and tried todo the same to two of my friends. That was just a really *%%#$# up family tho.

Now it may seems that I am trying to brag here, but that's not the case. What I'm trying to point out is that I was homeschooled and did not turn into a sheltered hermit or clueless about world news, culture, and events. I turned out to be very worldly and successful...and a vast majority of homeschoolers turn out this way. And I attribute my success to homeschooling 100 percent.

Wow, props for that my dude.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by r33p04s

there are ALWAYS success stories...for every homeschooler that is like you there are 10 that are socially inept...those other homeschool kids that you went on those field trips with I'm sure didn't turn out like you or have the accomplishments you do....there is something to be said for the social aspect of going to school and interacting with people on a daily basis...
I stay in contact with most of the homeschooled friends that I had, and yes there are a few who didn't go very far, but that could be said forany group of people. Win some, lose some. But here is a list of occupations held by some of my homeschooled friends:
  • Account Manager for Forbes
  • Police Officer
  • Paramedic
  • Professional Photographer (runs own business and does photography around the world)
  • Owner of Automotive Customization Shop (body work, engine work, and audio/visual)
  • Army Officer
Some of my other homeschooled friends are still in college, and here are some of their majors:
  • Civil Engineering
  • Marketing/Communication
  • Criminal Justice
  • Psychology
  • Philosophy
Actually, if you look into recent research on homeschoolers, most are going this way: graduating college and becoming quite successful. Thesocially-inept homeschoolers, although still in existence, make up far less of the total homeschool population than they once did.

There are indeed some weird homeschooled kids out there Mangudai with no hope of ever successfully socializing with anything but their cats. Believe me, Iknew a few of them lol. There were also a few with serious behavioral problems, like what you mention MikeScarn. Two homeschool kids I knew were very heavyinto drugs sadly (the law caught up with them though). To paraphrase a time-worn cliche, there are bad apples in every bunch. Unfortunately, when it comes tohomeschooling, sometimes it's just much easier to see the negative than the positive, because the wackos tend to make the most noise. Come to think of it,life as a whole is kind of like that.

Back
Top Bottom