Pistons trainer banishes Nike Hyperize sneakers

Originally Posted by Andrew630

I think most of the league after wearing Hyperizes switched to something else.

Everybody but LaMarcus. Homie loves them joints.

Surprised nobody posted those pics when the hyperize  had some serious gangster lean.

i bet Adidas paid the trainer to say that about the hyperize! jk. lol. i have played in them and i am not a fan. the forefoot area is way too wide!

regardless of what the trainer knows about shoes, hyperizes are trash through and through.

I'm gonna go ahead and say that trainer knows more about what shoes are good for the players than we do (except for those NT'ers with more degrees and experience than an NBA trainer)

And everyone hopping on the low-cut bandwagon: Yeah, if you land on someone's foot, chances are you are going to roll your ankle, no matter how high cut the shoes are. I am willing to bet the roll will be less severe in a higher cut shoe. Plus, for me, it's a mental thing (disregarding landing on someone's foot). I feel safer when I'm playing in sturdy midcuts or hi-tops compared to lows.

I think blaming injuries on shoes is pointless.

If you roll your ankle, your going to roll it regardless of the shoe, plain and simple.
A handful of the NBA still wears them, if you use the shoe as to why players are injuring themselves, why aren't any other of the NBA players hurt?

Originally Posted by HOOPSboy

I'm gonna go ahead and say that trainer knows more about what shoes are good for the players than we do (except for those NT'ers with more degrees and experience than an NBA trainer)

And everyone hopping on the low-cut bandwagon: Yeah, if you land on someone's foot, chances are you are going to roll your ankle, no matter how high cut the shoes are. I am willing to bet the roll will be less severe in a higher cut shoe. Plus, for me, it's a mental thing (disregarding landing on someone's foot). I feel safer when I'm playing in sturdy midcuts or hi-tops compared to lows.
Studies have been done for years now looking at the correlation between ankle sprains and the cut of shoes that athletes are wearing, only to consistently find that there is no correlation between the two.  Athletes are just as likely to sprain their ankles in high top shoes as they are in low top shoes.  As a physical therapist, i can tell you the key is muscle coordination of the ankle inverters/everters and also that of the hip complex.  weakness/uncoordination of these muscles is what typically leads to ankle sprains.

Originally Posted by clkru

I still can't believe that the same dude who designed the Hyperize also designed the remarkable KD2... please stick to KDs, Leo!  

It's not unheard of for a shoe to go through some major changes from what the designer envisioned.

Hyperrize = no support at all, and it feels like theres no cushioning in it either

Shoe was a massive disapointment to me

Originally Posted by jcskyplaya20

Originally Posted by HOOPSboy

Studies have been done for years now looking at the correlation between ankle sprains and the cut of shoes that athletes are wearing, only to consistently find that there is no correlation between the two.  Athletes are just as likely to sprain their ankles in high top shoes as they are in low top shoes.  As a physical therapist, i can tell you the key is muscle coordination of the ankle inverters/everters and also that of the hip complex.  weakness/uncoordination of these muscles is what typically leads to ankle sprains.
QFT!
smokin.gif
 That's exactly what leads to an ankle sprain, very good explanation. 
I was so glad to hear that someone banned the Hyperize
happy.gif
 I have been pointing out all of the mistakes the designer Leo did since it was released and believe me, I wished I was wrong but every single thing I pointed out was true. From huge support and stability issues leading to ankle sprains, broken outriggers and plantar fasciitis this shoe is a BIG NO for basketball!

If you get your ankles taped up PROFESSIONALLY you should be able to ball in anything. The shoes don't matter much.

Detroit's trainer is one of the best pro sports trainers ever...he got a lot of respect and cred throughout the NBA...he been in Detroit since the Bad Boy era...I'm quite sure he knows what he talking about...BG and Will Bynum have been wearing the Kobe 4's since returning from injury...they started the season wearing Hyperizes and got ankle injuries 2 separate times in them...Rip wears Jordans and came down on Marc Gasol's foot in our 1st game of the season u can't do much about that with any sneaker...yes I'm a Pistons fan even though we stink this yr!

I have yet to ball in my Kobe V's but ALL of my Hyperdunks are bamgin. I gave my Soldier 3's & my Strengths to my nephews because they're just wasting space in my closet. The Hyperizes are at the outlet for $89 & wouldn't get them for $#!% because they don't feel as good as they Hyperdunks. Here's hoping the 2010's aren't a disappointment.

Originally Posted by blackngold1z

If you get your ankles taped up PROFESSIONALLY you should be able to ball in anything. The shoes don't matter much.
That's not a consideration when designing a shoe however.  Most ballers DO have Professional taping but that doesn't stop ankle turns, hence why people look to the Footwear for more support.

Originally Posted by TheTrapezeSwinger

Originally Posted by FrenchBlue23

Just because 2 out of 3 players were wearing the Hyperizes when they got hurt, doesn't mean the shoe is garbage though.

Reading is fundamental, homie.

Are you serious?   Richard Hamilton sprained his ankle way early in the season, wearing guess what?  Jordans.

BG and Will sprained there's after.   The trainer is banning the Hyperizes in the article, no where does he say that all 3 players wore the same shoe.

Being Brain Dead (You)  FTL. 

I would never even THINK about wearing any of those Nike Hyper shoes orlow-cuts like the Kobe IV & V on the court. People are brainwashedby Nike's marketing and players like Kobe wearing them.

I think you are the one brainwashed or maybe its your weak ankles but when dudes back in the day were rocking low top chucks imo the Kobe's are fine. 

Originally Posted by Crazy EBW

Originally Posted by BananaBoy2601

Originally Posted by KenJi714

That trainer clearly doesnt know @#% about shoes then.

This.
Well yeah he doesn't know much probably, but the Hypers are trash.

Having followed the Pistons for many years and kept a special eye on Arnie Kander (because of my involvement with PT) I'm going to echo previous sentiments and say this couldn't be further from the truth. Arnie is one of the top 2-3 trainers in the league, and studying, fitting, and recommending footwear for players is one of his specialties. He designs special orthotics for EACH Pistons player based on where they each need special support to properly align their body. This dude knows more about Basketball shoes and how they work performance wise, and the ways that effects the body than pretty much anyone on this board. If Arnie says the shoe sucks, then I'm believing him. And Ive seen quotes from him saying proper strengthening, stretching, and balance work is key for preventing ankle injuries, with good taping being the next most reliable, followed by shoes.

And also I will say I have SEEN Rip wear Nike's in practice, say whatever you want about their contract, I have seen him wear them in open practices and scrimmages, so I wouldnt be suprised if he reaggrivated or re-rolled it wearing Hyperize's

LOL at everyone in here either directly or indirectly defending Nike on this issue, esp. those that diss the NBA trainer as not knowing anything about bball shoes.

Nike should be admonished for putting the Hyperize out on the market and selling it off to us as the latest and greatest like they did. The shoe is nothing but uncomfortable, non-durable, injury-inducing trouble, wearing it for athletic activites just seems like playing with fire.

Not many people are defending the Hyperize. It's kind of hard too. Not many valid arguments one would bring up.

Back
Top Bottom