Peter Rosenberg speaks on the "Rick Ross Era"

Originally Posted by memphisboi55

DIPSETGENERAL WROTE:

Rick Ross' "Port of Miami" went at least double platinum.

roll.gif

Son that @!!% hit 900k max. I remember those Soundscan threads and that @!!% topping out at like 860k or so.

This man sit "AT LEAST" double plat
laugh.gif

Canadien Wall Street #s 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by RetroSan

Originally Posted by Peep Game

It was
laugh.gif

I couldn't at all tell you a standout Ross verse. His stuff is more flow than what is actually said.
oh?
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial]one of the better verses of the entire album[/font]
Completely forgot about this song, and thank you for making me spin it back. Very strong verse, but it's still how Ross says it than what he actually says.

It was
laugh.gif

I couldn't at all tell you a standout Ross verse. His stuff is more flow than what is actually said.

Been saying this for years, he just seems to talk about things he has and a life style he never lived.... I can't remember a Ross verse off hand and that shows he doesn't say anything memorable. I know you guys hate Drake, but he puts out a great album does numbers and has memorable verses for said album so I would say this is Drakes era if anything. But we still got ye and plenty other guys before Ross

Originally Posted by niquefreak94

Originally Posted by DipsetGeneral

Rick Ross' "Port of Miami" went at least double platinum.
the album sold 875,000
roll.gif
and the worst part is it's DipsetGeneral the thread updater, lemme guess the Carter 4 is Diamond.

Originally Posted by Futuristic

I don't care what any MTV list, NTer or anyone else says, Rick Ross is not the "hottest" out right now. Drake, Wayne, Nicki, Ye and Jay are all "hotter" than him. He MIGHT be hotter in the streets, but until HIS singles do numbers and HIS albums sell he isn't seeing any of those 5.
none of this matter because at da end of da day, hiphop is from da streets...and being da people's champ >>> being a sales guys

Originally Posted by RetroSan

It was
laugh.gif

oh?
Lookin’ at my #%@*! I bet she give your $!* a bone
Lookin’ at my wrist it’ll turn your $!* to stone
Stretch limousine, sippin’ Rosé all along
Double-headed monster with a mind of his own
Cherry red chariot, excess is just my character
All black tux, @%@+@ the shoes lavender
I never needed acceptance from all you outsiders
Had cyphers with Yeezy before his mouth wired
Before his jaw shattered climbin’ up the Lord’s ladder
We still speedin’ runnin’ signs like they don’t matter
Uh, hater talkin’ never made me mad
Never that when I’m in my favorite papertag
Therefore G4s at the Clearport
When it come to tools fool I’m a Pep Boy
When it came to dope I was quick to export
Never tired of ballin’ so it’s on to the next sport
New Mercedes sedan, they’ll export
So many cars DMV though it was mail fraud
Different traps, I was gettin’ mail from
Polk County, Jacksonville, rep Melbourne
Whole clique’s appetite had tapeworms
Spinnin’ Teddy Pendergrass vinyl as my jay burns
I shed a tear before the nights over
God bless the man I put this ice over
Gettin’ 2Pac money twice over
Still a real @%@+@, red Coogi sweater, dice roller
I’m makin’ love to the angel of death
Catchin’ feelings never stumble retracin’ my steps

one of the better verses of the entire album

Make up your mind NT, are we gonna count sells or not? One thread oh its 2012 no one buys CDs anymore then it's damn he ain't sell nothing. Dude is hot and puts out bangers but wouldn't exactly say it's his era though but he gets some mention. It's more like YMCMB's era
laugh.gif
by default.

Originally Posted by ninjahood

I don't care what any MTV list, NTer or anyone else says, Rick Ross is not the "hottest" out right now. Drake, Wayne, Nicki, Ye and Jay are all "hotter" than him. He MIGHT be hotter in the streets, but until HIS singles do numbers and HIS albums sell he isn't seeing any of those 5.
none of this matter because at da end of da day, hiphop is from da streets...and being da people's champ >>> being a sales guys
for it to be someone's era it has to go past the streets. 

Originally Posted by cartune

Yall confuse marketing with promotion. Him & Spiff promote there +**+! off but it doesnt transpire to anything

Marketing is making people go to stores. Marketing is selling out big venues. Marketing is selling singles.

How many tours son headline? How many #1s? Why hasnt he dropped an LP in 2 years?

He got the follow me with a camera game on lock. He got the jump on everybody song game on lock. But lets be serious he probably couldnt even put up Jeezy numbers right now.

And its sad cause he's on the decline popularity wise.
Quoted for future reference.

Originally Posted by Dat Dude Chris

On the real I rather Ross be on top of mainstream hip hop rather than ANYBODY from Young Money
Thank you ^^
One thing you can't deny is this is the era of the MMG beat, they have the same "sound". Everyone's hopped on a track with that beat, even Mac Millers done a track with the MMG beat

But Ross doesn't even have "the streets" like that. Jeezy has been bigger in the streets than Ross since Ross been out (cept maybe in Florida).
There's no argument for a Rick Ross era, not sales, not "the streets", not lyrics..nothing.

Originally Posted by North Dade Represent

It ain't about the lyricism, it's about the music. And Ross makes good music.

He aiight with the bars, sometimes he comes through, sometimes he don't. But as far as creating a template for cinematic lavish drug kingpin type rap, dude has excelled.

It's like this, Scarface wasn't an Academy Award winning flick, but it was a masterpiece. That's how I feel about Ross.

dont downplay your man's steady progressive lyrical accume, listen to something like "push it to da limit" and then listen to "triple beam dream"

that boy has only gotten better with time.

Originally Posted by malikdagoat

But Ross doesn't even have "the streets" like that. Jeezy has been bigger in the streets than Ross since Ross been out (cept maybe in Florida).
There's no argument for a Rick Ross era, not sales, not "the streets", not lyrics..nothing.
grin.gif

before da current joint, jeezy's last album was in 2007...ross has built a empire since that time.

rick ross is on EVERYTHING, his mixtapes are better then 99% of cat's albums, and da bottomline da rosenberg was making that ya straying away from is ross is da

MOST CONSISTENT rapper in da game right now.

grin.gif

before da current joint, jeezy's last album was in 2007...ross has built a empire since that time.

rick ross is on EVERYTHING, his mixtapes are better then 99% of cat's albums, and da bottomline da rosenberg was making that ya straying away from is ross is da

roll.gif
 No matter how hard I try I can't even take you serious Ninja 

Originally Posted by CJ863

grin.gif

roll.gif
so be your accounts, he didn't get a label deal for his artist via warner off his BMF MMG clout...

he didn't completely make meek a superstar?

he didn't resurrect wale's career after that debut flop?

gunplay's coke up +!% dont have buzz?

aint he running da vlogs/blogs? we're talkin about a fat dude here...

most consistent dude out right now by far..

Abbreviation 101 champ.  Anyway you saying Ross built an empire, reminds of Fred G. Sanford standing in front of his house and describing his junkyard as an empire......."Take a look at ALLLLL this"

LOL.

1.) I'm not technically sure if the Warner deal was based off of his BMF MMG clout, and even if it was how is that a win? At 4 albums in my man
couldn't get a deal without taking a labels sloppy second artists along for the ride?

2.) Meek a superstar? No. Helped Meek gain sort of the mainstream hiphop popularity? Yes.

3.) Resurrecting Wale's career? Nah it was the same situation as Meek, and imo without Ross Wale might not have gained the popularity that he does
but I believe Wale would have had a bit of success by himself.

4.) I'm not sure if Gunplay is poppin in New York, down here in FLORIDA there really ain't nobody checking for him that I've seen.

5.) He sure is running the vlogs/blogs because of SELF promotion, which I'll admit he does a good job at.

MMG is NOT an empire, they're a team of popular rappers that have the spotlight right now. If you think that's building an empire, these men would like to speak to
you.

roc-a-fella-420x319.jpg

grin.gif

roll.gif

Get real son.

A EMPIRE, seriously? Hell no.  When you have a EMPIRE you dont have to push back your album, you don't have two straight singles that flop on the charts, and you would've gone platinum by now.  Hell, J. Cole will go platinum before Ross does (dead serious).

He's by no means the most consistent, he puts out a LOT of b.s. and has hit every now and then. I'll say Drake is easily the most consistent and personally I dont even like his style of music.

This reminds me of back when cats were saying Wayne was the "greatest rapper alive".  Y'all fools will really start to believe anything if a rapper says it enough.

Edit: Hold on I ain't even see this.

He'd made Meek a superstar 
laugh.gif
, stop that. Meek is not a superstar.

And you can't be serious talking about Gunplay, hardly anybody is checking for him.  I've never heard anybody just bumpin Gunplay, he's not even bigger than Alley Boy to keep it real.

He helped Wale's career, but he damn sure didn't "resurrect" it. Stop acting like Ross is a rap jesus 

Originally Posted by CJ863

grin.gif

roll.gif
so be your accounts, he didn't get a label deal for his artist via warner off his BMF MMG clout...

he didn't resurrect wale's career after that debut flop?

gunplay's coke up +!% dont have buzz?

aint he running da vlogs/blogs? we're talkin about a fat dude here...

most consistent dude out right now by far..

Meek aint a superstar yet but I F with the dude. Gotta wait till his first album to say that. I agree with everthing else. I dont see the point in bringing up sales when its only a few rappers selling. Wayne is trash now, Drake sings to damn much to just put him in the hip hop category. Jay bar for bar is probably still the best rapper but his era was late 90's early 00's. So that leaves Kanye and Ross. Taking albums and mixtapes I give Ross the edge.

This is the Young Money era lettuce be cereal

Even they bench players got the radio on lock

Back
Top Bottom